Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 PM

46 posts, read 171,505 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at homes to rent or buy when we move south with Mack Trucks. One area that has some homes I liked is Reidsville. What can anyone tell me about the area?

I'm still researching where to live. I hear Adams Farm is where lots of Volvo peeps live, and I love the idea of a community pool. I hear Winston-Salem has more hills and sounds a little more artsy.

I welcome any and all comments and advice. You folks have been so great and helpful on here I have no reservations (no pun intended!) on making the move!

Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 09:40 PM

799 posts, read 3,227,518 times
I drove up to Reidsville myself one day because, like you, I liked the look and prices of many of the homes I saw up there. I do have to say, Reidsville looks like a town, sadly, on the way out. It appears that there were a lot of factory type industries there (like soda bottling) and those seemed to have closed down, a lot of them. So, the town has that we've-been-forgotten-about kind of feel to it. Kinda depressing. However, if someone could find a way to turn it around, it has a nice feel to it otherwise...know what I mean? I hope this helps.

I have seem some truckers living in the Kernersville area actually - I once saw a home on the internet for sale that had 4 heavy cabs parked in the huge driveway! I saw a heavy cab parked out in zip code 27403, towards Gibsonville too. Good luck!!

Old 09-21-2008, 01:47 PM

46 posts, read 171,505 times
Thanks so much for you honest input. My hubby is actually a bean counter and will work in Volvo's offices, but you have saved us a trip on our 3 days there. So, we're back to Winston-Salem or Greensboro.

We've already lived near Allentown, Pa., and watched it go down the tubes so we definitely want to avoid anything even close to depressing!

Thanks again!

Old 09-21-2008, 09:49 PM
JJM

61 posts, read 237,645 times
BeeGee, Reidsville definitely is a town past it's prime. Many factories have closed and it feels depressing when driving through the downtown area. I'd sure stear clear of living there. I will say, though, if you are more interested in wide open country spaces, there are many areas to the west of Reidsville that look so pretty and peaceful (Wentworth, Madison, Stokesdale). You could commute a half hour or so to Volvo from some of those areas. By the way, consider looking into North High Point off Wendover and Skeet Club Road. There are soooo many subdivisions and it's very convenient to everything, including Volvo. My son used to work at Volvo and loved the short commute. High Point gets a bum rap on this forum but North High Point is very different than most of High Point, IMO.

Old 09-23-2008, 12:50 AM

Ditto that. The Skeet Club area is kinda cool because it's like the end of Wendover Ave which is the main vein all through Greensboro (it makes driving here heaven), and since Skeet Club is in High Point it also has good accessibility to 311, which is a straight shot to Winston-Salem, a well built highway and not nearly as crowded as I-40. Crowded is certainly not a word I'd use!

When will you all be coming for a visit to look-see?

Old 09-23-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee gee View Post
We've already lived near Allentown, Pa., and watched it go down the tubes so we definitely want to avoid anything even close to depressing!

Thanks again!
Allentown, be still my heart. I research Allentown while I was still in Germany, and loved all the row houses. Part of me has this secret dream, that when I win that billion dollar lottery, I am going to buy up several blocks of row houses in Allentown and paint them loud, audacious colors, provide scholarships and make it an art mecca for the starving artist. We can eat the paint.....

I do know that SAFFRON was used in dye....heehee

I'll pass on the "Mummy Brown" however. Yes, it was made exactly of what you think it was, danged British!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point