Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:56 PM

33 posts, read 114,594 times

Advertisements

iam here to say that even though high point (HP) is not as big or whatever like G-boro and W-S it is a ok place to live big city experience small town charm and its really doing well to servive with G-boro and W-S but if theres any city to put down its LEXINGTON yea small in the middle of no where or what seems like and boring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2009, 11:06 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
If you read my posts I'm not entirely down on High Point, but the city has always gone its own way, usually with unfavorable results. My current job has me traveling around the triad and it is because of this I started taking notice of the dowtown lifestyle offered by W-S & Gboro and it appeals to me. I also noticed that smaller triad cities (Reidsville, Lexington, Eden, King, etc) are actively rejuvenating thier respective downtown areas. What's High Point doing? Just talking about it. And it is said the proposed plan may take 20-30 years to complete. Meanwhile W-S & Gboro will continue to pull away while others will catch & pass (Burlington) High Point. The podunk mentality has driven me over the edge. With the population surpassing 100k the city should at least be able to support its own mall. I'm an advocate of supporting local retail, be it independent or corporate, but the bassakwards metality of this city has me going to W-S or Gboro to fill many of my retail needs. With that being said it just makes better sense to move there especially when gas prices climb back to $4/gal.

Last edited by WFW&P; 01-04-2009 at 11:09 AM.. Reason: spell check

Old 01-04-2009, 07:16 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Substitute Kernersville for King. No idea what I was ing about.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Criticizing another community is no way to gain credibility or support for your own.

Old 01-05-2009, 08:13 AM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
High Point has potential, if it can figure out what to do with all that show room space downtown when the furniture market is not in town. High Point has a pretty dense downtown (in terms of buildings). High Point's downtown is more urban than Fayetteville's, another city are 100,000. High Point does have some ambitous proposals for its downtown so I understand its going to take a while. I've heard plans such as a downtown arena and a convention center/hotel. High Point's problem is that so much of the land downtown is being taken up by showrooms, that its difficult to find land for new development. That limits the number of downtown residential projects and you need people living in the center-city to support downtown retail, restaurants and other attractions. Downtown Greensboro has a booming nightlife thanks to all the new residents and the college students. There are two universities and two colleges that border downtown Greensboro. But I dont think there is anything wrong with High Point. Many of the people who live there like slower pace of life. They dont want to live in Greensboro or Winston but at the same time they are not to far away if they want to go shopping in those cities.

Last edited by gsoboi; 01-05-2009 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 02:58 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Criticizing another community is no way to gain credibility or support for your own.
Thats right. Each town is unique and makes up the Piedmont Triad area...a BEAUTIFUL area of the state.

And by the way...Lexington has the best BBQ in the state. We drive 1hr from Charlotte just to eat there...and so do alot of Charlotteans.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:52 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,582,814 times
I actually work in Lexington. Its not my cup of tea but to others its a great place to live. Everyone has their own tastes. Not everyone wants to live in a thriving urban city. Just like there are people that cant stand cities like Lexington, there are those who cant stand Greensboro or Winston-Salem because there is too much traffic and crime for their taste. Cities like Lexington or Mocksville have appeal to some people.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:00 AM

358 posts, read 621,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
With the population surpassing 100k the city should at least be able to support its own mall.
Any truth to the rumor that Oak Hollow Mall is closing?

Old 01-06-2009, 08:10 AM

109 posts, read 389,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
Any truth to the rumor that Oak Hollow Mall is closing?
I know for a fact that Dillard's in Oak Hollow Mall is closing this month.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elm&McGee View Post
I know for a fact that Dillard's in Oak Hollow Mall is closing this month.
I think that's because Dillard's is going out of business.

It would be a real shame to lose Oak Hollow Mall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point