Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 PM

9 posts, read 88,157 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I am currently considering residency in internal medicine at Wake Forest - Baptist Medical Center and I'll be moving from New Orleans. I just want to know if this is a town that is fun for young, single professionals like myself. I have heard from the Chapel Hill crowd that its a boring place. Is this REALLY the case? Please let me know what the social scene is- I really love the hospital and the program, I just want to make sure I don't wind up lonely and bored because everyone is married. From what I saw on my interview, the town is quite charming. I appreciate any advice! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 09:00 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Winston Salem stats:

Males: 87,345
Females: 98,431
Median resident age: 34.6
For population 15 years and over in Winston-Salem city
  • Never married: 31.0%
  • Now married: 47.8%
  • Separated: 3.3%
  • Widowed: 7.6%
  • Divorced: 10.4%
For population 15 years and over in New Orleans city
  • Never married: 40.9%
  • Now married: 35.5%
  • Separated: 3.6%
  • Widowed: 8.1%
  • Divorced: 11.8%

Old 01-16-2008, 07:31 AM

Thanks for the stats! Actually I have already seen them- I guess I'm looking for a more "subjective" answer. I appreciate your response though. Can anybody further elaborate on this topic? Thanks!

Old 01-16-2008, 01:01 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,551,574 times
I think you will be fine. You will probably be busy at work too. Wake Forest Univ Baptist Medical Center is one of the best hospitals on the East Coast. Years back several doctors from John Hopkins transferred to WFUBMC.

The Triad is designed so if you get bored in W-S you go to Greensboro, If you get bored in Greensboro go to Winston-Salem. It is one big metro area.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:12 PM

222 posts, read 936,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dporti View Post
Hi everyone! I am currently considering residency in internal medicine at Wake Forest - Baptist Medical Center and I'll be moving from New Orleans. I just want to know if this is a town that is fun for young, single professionals like myself. I have heard from the Chapel Hill crowd that its a boring place. Is this REALLY the case? Please let me know what the social scene is- I really love the hospital and the program, I just want to make sure I don't wind up lonely and bored because everyone is married. From what I saw on my interview, the town is quite charming. I appreciate any advice! Thanks!!!

Hi dporti,

WS can be fun, you just kinda have to look for the fun more-so than CH/Dur/Ral area. (just don't expect a mini mini-NO) Besides, the traffic isn't half as bad and downtown is certainly easier to navigate than Durham and Raleigh. What are your interests? There is a great arts community in WS and the NC School of the Arts offers a variety of performing arts presentations.

My experience working in WFUMC many years ago, was that the residents seemed to have plenty going on in their social life. You'll find the 'hang-outs'.

I understand what you are asking but like I would tell my friend: if this program has what you are looking for, what is a few years to be somewhere where you may not love? Your training is more important than where you are living. You can always move when you're finished with school. Good luck with your decisions and I hope you end up at the program that is best for you!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:27 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,479 times
From my subjective viewpoint, I would not be happy living here as a single. I have said it more than once to my husband that this place would be awful for a young, single person. I also find it strange for a city with a few colleges that it doesn't feel like a college town at all. I rarely see that age group downtown. I actually rarely see people downtown and I can't figure that out either because I think it is pretty cute. I just haven't figured out how a place with so many amenities still kind of stinks...Our first year here, we thought we could handle raising our children and settling into this area. Now it is our second year and we are desperately trying to figure out an exit plan and where it should be.....Don't get me wrong, you can get out of this place what you need and for you it is a great career! For us, it was a house to raise our children, affordable cost of living and a career for my husband. I don't think you would be completely miserable here since you will have so many other more important things going on in your life. If you were going through that "I just graduated from college and got dumped by my significant other quarter-life crisis" - I would tell you to run away from Winston-Salem.

Old 01-16-2008, 03:40 PM

13 posts, read 84,352 times
FWIW, I agree with enlightenme. W-S is a great place to raise a family, but not so great for young singles.

OTOH, you'll be mixing and mingling with the other residents.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:08 AM

Thanks everyone! Your comments have been very helpful! I guess for a guy coming from New Orleans, my interests aren't so "big city" as one may expect. Actually, I'm from Baton Rouge ( a town of about 225,000 or so)- that is where I grew up and its about an hour or so from New Orleans. I moved to New Orleans for Medical Scool and have been living there for a few years now. In terms of intersests: running, hiking, going to movies, definatly eating out- I LOVE restuarants.....also- I have to have an old coffee shop (I'm not talking about starbucks) where I can go study and hang out. I'm not a huge night club person, though I do like bars, pubs, ect... One other thing I was wondering is how difficult it would be to just drive out to Ral/Dur/Chapel hill if I get bored, and is Greensboro a cool place? Thanks for all your replies!!!!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:37 PM

20 posts, read 113,883 times
Chapel Hill & Charlotte are only an hour and a half away. Raleigh would be two.

Winston-Salem would fit right in with the requirements you stated. If you get bored, you can always explore the much bigger and single friendly Charlotte.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:03 AM

2,032 posts, read 6,888,257 times
Default Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dporti View Post
Remember this is the Bible Belt!! There isn't any town in these parts that will rival the "laid back" lifestyle of New Orleans/Baton Rouge area. People here are basically conservative republicans!! Don't laugh but you might consider meeting people at your church(there is one on every corner!). Also, congratulations on working at Baptist Medical Center, I think that is where you will probably find your social contacts and your focus!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point