Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 02:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,463 times

Advertisements

I have bought a car since the insurance lady said I need a car before I should even think about insurance. My father filled out the title under his name and we still need to go to the DMV to transfer the title.

The office which my father uses to transfer titles has closed and I'm not sure where the closest office which will do title transfer is to:
Randleman Rd.
Greensboro, NC 27406

I know there is one at:
804 B. South Main Street
Lexington, NC, 27292

So here is my questions:

Where is the closest place that we can get the title transfered around my location?

Once we have transfered the title I believe my father will need to take out insurance on the car under his name and put me as the driver or something but would that work since I don't have a license?

After that I think I would need to take the test to get my license but I'm unsure if I need a license to get insurance but I know I need insurance to get a license.

Basically can someone make a list of what I need to do next now that I have a car?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,558,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unholysavagery View Post

So here is my questions:

Where is the closest place that we can get the title transfered around my location?
There is a license plate agency on West Market that help you with the title. Its near the intersection of W Market & Dolly Madison. Any notary public can transfer vehicle title.

Once we have transfered the title I believe my father will need to take out insurance on the car under his name and put me as the driver or something but would that work since I don't have a license?
I recommend you check with the DMV. NC has a graduated license for teen drivers, but your situation is unique since you're 20.

After that I think I would need to take the test to get my license but I'm unsure if I need a license to get insurance but I know I need insurance to get a license.
In all probability you will need a permit but, again, check with the DMV as it has been 27 years since I applied for my license and the rules have changed.

Basically can someone make a list of what I need to do next now that I have a car?
Hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2009, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 4,417 times
UMM THE 0NLY THiNG i KNW AB0UT iS THAT U D0 N0T HAVE T0 HAVE A LiCENSE T0 GET A CAR 0R INSURANCE

Old 04-17-2009, 05:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,188 times
Talk to your insurance agent, they can direct you.

A lot of what you need to do will depend on whether you will have your own insurance policy or be carried under your dad's (which could be cheaper, but there are some risks) I believe all your dad has to do is list you as a driver on his policy if you dont want your own policy.

You dont necessarily have to have a car in your name to have license, but you do have to have insurance. You can have insurance without owning a car...your agent can help you with this. There are some policies out there for this. I know this bc my mother went 18 years without owning a car and always had a license.

Old 05-19-2009, 08:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,322 times
if u haven't have a drivers license until now then the insurance companies won't trust you and your premium might be high let your dad carry you on his for a while until you can prove to the insurance companies that you are a safe driver or get liability insurance that's third party and once you have had that for about three years with a safe driving record your premiums would begin to look good unless you get a speeding ticket. There is a DMV place at 5551 west market street Greensboro . once u get to that street if you can't find it just ask anybody and they will show you I hope this helps

Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,322 times
Virgo1978 is right Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point