Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 08:17 PM

2 posts, read 3,899 times

Advertisements

Just joined this fine forum and reading through this thread, just have to add something about South Carolina BBQ.

Whole hog (split) cooked over oak or hickory embers. Fire is external of the cinder block pit. Embers are shoveled under hog as needed. Normal cooking time is about 14 to 16 hours. Usually takes couple of hours for the first drop of grease to hit the embers.

BIG cooler of Bud on ice and radio tuned to local C&W radio station. This event usually starts after work on Friday.

As stated in another post. Vinegar, plenty of hot sauce, ground black pepper, brown sugar and a few secret ingredients. Hog is well basted every time it is turned.

Now comes the good part. The hash. This is made by boiling the hog head, heart, lungs and a few other choice parts until done. Brains and meat is removed from the head and this along with the rest of the meat and some of the cooked BBQ is run through a meat grinder. There are many different types of sauce added to the meat ranging from vinegar base to mustard base. This hash with sauce is then cooked for a while and served on white rice along with the chopped or pulled BBQ, white slaw (yes, I said white....not red) and a few slices of white bread.

Note: Much easier to get Colonel Saunders to give up his secret ingredients than to get a SC BBQ house to give up the hash recipe.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 AM

23 posts, read 61,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspantoni View Post
i guess thats what the locals like
Yeah being from NYC I know what you mean, I first came here and someone invited me to have some BBQ. I thought that they would be having a grill out and actually serving something decent. Then I find out that it is some nasty looking meat slapped between some bread like a tuna fish sandwich. I had my mouth ready for some steak and chicken and hamburgers, boy was i disappointed....

lol...
But now that i have lived here a while I know when someone says BBq they mean some shredded pork (which I don't eat by the way) as opposed to when we say BBq we mean chicken steak and whatever else on a grill with some good sauce....

LMFAO... NC is the only state who thinks their BBq is the 'only BBq'. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:55 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
livin wrote: LMFAO... NC is the only state where BBq was invented, and thus they refer to theirs as the 'only BBq'. I guess ignorance is bliss for those who disagree.

Fixed that for you.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,812,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livin View Post
Yeah being from NYC I know what you mean, I first came here and someone invited me to have some BBQ. I thought that they would be having a grill out and actually serving something decent. Then I find out that it is some nasty looking meat slapped between some bread like a tuna fish sandwich. I had my mouth ready for some steak and chicken and hamburgers, boy was i disappointed....

lol...
But now that i have lived here a while I know when someone says BBq they mean some shredded pork (which I don't eat by the way) as opposed to when we say BBq we mean chicken steak and whatever else on a grill with some good sauce....

LMFAO... NC is the only state who thinks their BBq is the 'only BBq'. I guess ignorance is bliss.
Well, you know...I can't have any sympathy for you, because when you move to a different area you really have to learn the language and the culture. When people in N.C. are having barbecue, it's a meal (and certainly not filled with fat like someone said earlier). When people in N.C. are going to grill something, they call it a cookout or invite you over to eat something off the grill. It's kind of small minded to think every reference means exactly the same thing across the country as it did in your little hometown.

North Carolinians don't think their barbecue is the only barbecue. They know that there is a lot of lesser barbecue out there.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Well, you know...I can't have any sympathy for you, because when you move to a different area you really have to learn the language and the culture. When people in N.C. are having barbecue, it's a meal (and certainly not filled with fat like someone said earlier). When people in N.C. are going to grill something, they call it a cookout or invite you over to eat something off the grill. It's kind of small minded to think every reference means exactly the same thing across the country as it did in your little hometown.

North Carolinians don't think their barbecue is the only barbecue. They know that there is a lot of lesser barbecue out there.
I never asked for sympathy, and I know all about traveling and others customs, doesnt mean that I cant form an opinion. But I have heard NC people make claims that there is only 'one' bbq. So I wouldnt be the only small minded person.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
livin wrote: LMFAO... NC is the only state where BBq was invented, and thus they refer to theirs as the 'only BBq'. I guess ignorance is bliss for those who disagree.

Fixed that for you.
What did You fix???

Old 10-23-2009, 12:41 PM

62 posts, read 187,997 times
I had no idea when I first posted this thread that BBQ was such a controversial topic.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:22 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
OK HeadDR:

Since this thread has given me so much pleasure pokin fun at and reading about other folks pokin fun at Yankees, I am gonna give you a catsup based hot and sweet sauce recipe. This is the best you will ever taste of that ilk. Keep it away from BBQ, however, but good on ribs, chicken, etc.

Enjoy:
JIM BOB's Sweet and Hot Barbeque Sauce

Ingredients:

• 1 Cup Tomato Ketchup (8 fl oz, 250 ml)
  • 1/3 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (3 fl oz, 80 ml)
  • 1/4 Cup Orange Juice (2 fl oz, 60 ml)
  • 1/3 Cup Firmly Packed Brown Sugar (3 oz, 90 g)
  • 1 Tablespoon Honey
  • Juice of 1/2 lime
  • 4 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
  • 3 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • dash of cinammon
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 banana or jalepeno pepper cut in slices
Directions:

This is one of the easiest barbeque sauces you will ever make.
1) Basically all you need to do is mix up all the ingredients above in a medium saucepan.
2) Put the sauce on the stove over medium heat, and bring it up to a simmer (not boiling or bubbling, just a simmer).
3) Try to keep it at a simmer for about 15 minutes on medium heat. You need to be stirring the sauce occasionally.
You don't have to stir it the whole time, but I always find it comes out better when you give it a lot of attention. After the 15 minutes are up, you have the most delicious Catsup based sauce you'll ever taste!

Old 10-23-2009, 05:29 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headdr View Post
Me and my wife recently relocated to the Winston-Salem area and we are very happy here. I grew up in Houston, but was living in Sacramento for the past 15 years. I hope I dont ruffle too many feathers (not my intention), but I really like BBQ but I have only found NC style BBQ. Its not that I dont like it, but I prefer tomato based, thick sauce BBQ on ribs, chicken etc....Any suggestions?
Buy a Big Green Egg and smoke/grill all the BBQ you want just the way you want. The BGE is the perfect outdoor cooker. It is a ceramic smoker that is also a great grill and has a very loyal following. I am a transplant and had the same reaction you did. However I now have the Bull by the horn and all of his other parts. Also try Carolina Sauce Company for a wide variety of online available sauces. Good stuff, rubs also. Just finished some wings and shrimp. You can take the BGE up to 750 and sear one mean and awesome steak. You can smoke for 17-20 hours on one load of lump charcoal so you have awesome Carolina Q.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:39 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Having been here a couple of years and gotten into BBQ the real way I can tell you that nationwide there are many of us who say grilling isn't BBQing. Smoking is BBQ and grilling is just that. Not sure all would agree that just pork smoked is BBQ but if it ain't slow cooked it probably isn't Q. Just putting the lid on doesn't make it BBQ it is more style and substance. I am not a fan of vinegar based sauces and like the OP still prefer a good tomato based sauce. Vinegar sauces have their place however. Sorta like Buffalo Wings and telling someone from Buffalo how to make them. Not all wings are Buffalo wings but that's another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point