Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 10:42 PM

4 posts, read 10,728 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Greensboro from Michigan for work. I am a single mother with a 5 year old son. I have no clue as to the best area's or schools. My son now attends a very good Christian private school and I love the environment it provides. I prefer a school that is structured without a lot of violence or fights. Finding a great school is very important to me. Also are their aftercare programs or wrap around programs after school for children, if so what is the cost? What is the basic school schedule for children?
I am looking for the best places to rent an apartment unitl I buy a home. I want to see how I like the state prior to buying. I am looking to rent in the range of 650-850. I want to be someplace safe and a nice neighborhood. I will pay more if it means the area is safe and nice for a family. I want an apartment complex that is kid friendly and as close as possible to shopping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 01:44 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Relocating to Greensboro area from Michigan

I suspect you will really like the weather here, particularly in winter. The people are friendly too.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:56 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,209,482 times
There is very little snow compared to Michigan. My wife and I moved from MI and have been here coming up on 3 years. Not sure how many elementary schools here have fights or large scale violence? Are you coming from Flint or one of the downriver communities?
If the christian school environment is important, there are probably a few great schools in and around Greensboro. Same goes for finding a place to stay.
Elementary schedule generally starts around 8:00 a.m. or so, classes until noon--recess in the afternoon then dismissal by 3:20 p.m.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,591 times
Default relocating to Greensboro

As far as schools go. Check out this website. It rates all the schools in the state and you can see their test scores.
Look at Guilford County Schools.
NC School Report Cards

As far as apartments. Check out Signature Property group.
They are incredibly well run apartments with various price points in most parts of greensboro.

Moderator cut: tos violation

Chris
cpapp@kw.com

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-14-2011 at 08:34 AM..

Old 01-12-2011, 12:38 AM

4 posts, read 10,728 times
Thanks everyone I will check out the sites. I will be coming from the downriver areas Southgate. @ Chris I will definately need a realtor I will email you. I probably wont be looking to buy for about 6 mos, I want 2 see how I like the area. Thanks for all the information this will be helpful in my move

Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 AM

69 posts, read 165,020 times
I just had clients that spoke very highly of this school, and this site also seems to give reviews on private schools: Caldwell Academy - Greensboro, North Carolina/NC - Private School Profile - Private School Review

Zane

Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 AM

51 posts, read 88,182 times
compared to michigan,greensboro is gonna really be boring!

Old 01-19-2011, 04:48 PM

3 posts, read 5,163 times
In Northwest Guilford County, you will notice the highest ranking schools. Summerfield, Oak Ridge, and if you would prefer a house call, a great Property Management Co. Rent-A-Home of the Triad. tell them Susan Fields recommended them: 336-272-0767.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,022 times
I currently live in a very nice community at Yester Oaks Apartments off of Pisgah Church Road in Greensboro There are a mix of town houses and apartments here. VERY kid friendly, and gated community. There are school buses that pick up young kids and teens here as well. The apartments and town houses are nice and are within your price range. [url]http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartments/North-Carolina/Greensboro/Yester-Oaks/23788[/url]

The cons to this area I live now (Yester Oaks) is that the traffic is bad (rush hour mostly). It is a very congested area. But... I feel very very safe here and have heard no issues of violence or crime here. There are LOTS of kids here which would be great for your 5 year old.

Very close to shopping...like Walmart, restaurants, gas stations...libraries...etc.
I wouldn't really suggest "Rent-A-Home of the Triad". You are responsible for fixing up the houses yourself if anything goes wrong or even if there are issues with the house when you first move in. They don't pay for anything! And the services are very unprofessional.

I wouldn't suggest "Signature Property Group". I have lived in some of their apartments and most had a lot of car and apt breakins'. Also, "section 8 types".

Last edited by tubetopgirl; 01-25-2011 at 12:54 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 06:20 PM

7 posts, read 9,334 times
Greensboro Academy is a good school. It's a charter school in a nice neighborhood on the northwest side of Greensboro. It's also in a very good shopping location. They recently built nice apts. across from the school, if I were you, I would check it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point