Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:11 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamajama View Post
You are so right, people here do seem to be very interested in hearing about Canada. I am often asked about the weather and our health care. Plus people love to point out the "accent." I have been warned that the mantra here is "We don't care how you do it up north," so I try my best to keep my comparisons to myself.

you can talk about "how you did it up north". everyone needs to, it is totally normal when you move somewhere else.

just be aware that southerners feel bombarded by criticism from other Americans who do not understand that our societal problems run deep, much deeper than we can fix with simple policy changes.

in your case, i'd recommend that you not go around telling people how great the canadian healthcare system is, for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 02:45 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,269 times
South Carolinians call Canadians "Tourists". If you move here, then you are one of us.

Our awesome sportscaster in Greenville on WYFF (NBC-TV), Geoff Hart, is Canadian born and recently got dual citizenship. He's a terrific sportscaster. We are lucky to have him.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:51 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
South Carolinians call Canadians "Tourists". If you move here, then you are one of us.

Our awesome sportscaster in Greenville on WYFF (NBC-TV), Geoff Hart, is Canadian born and recently got dual citizenship. He's a terrific sportscaster. We are lucky to have him.
Cool factoid! I had no idea.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:08 PM

306 posts, read 689,741 times
I'm originally from NY....can't get more Yankee than that! We have never had a problem here except with another former NY couple in our neighborhood. They have that move in, take over, change things NOW attitude associated with NY’ers/Yankee's. We have taken to referring to them as “those dang Yankee’s.” As long as you like it here, which you seem to by your other post, you’ll enjoy the way things are here and fit in just fine as we have.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 PM

20 posts, read 64,075 times
aye!

Old 07-28-2010, 12:18 AM

216 posts, read 413,695 times
I was born and raised in Greenville, and I can tell you that other than as a joke, I've never heard anyone be called a Yankee.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:48 AM

49 posts, read 102,937 times
It's hard not to compare the differences, because in Canada things are very different. But I'll make sure not to come across condescending or judgmental. The reason I love the south so much is because of the differences, if I didn't, I'd just stay at home.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:04 AM

306 posts, read 689,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamajama View Post
The reason I love the south so much is because of the differences, if I didn't, I'd just stay at home.
I could not have said it better myself. Which is why you probably will make friends quickly and find you are welcomed here.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 AM

11 posts, read 33,526 times
I grew up next to the Canadian border. Canadians are Canucks, not Yankees .

Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Most northerners are considered this:

dam·yan·kee

–noun Informal .
(in the southern U.S.) a person native to the northern states of the U.S., esp. one who is disliked or regarded with suspicion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area