Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 5,032 times

Advertisements

I am a 26-year-old single female, and I'm considering moving to Greenville for a change of scene. I visited briefly this past summer and really liked what I saw of it.

I've lived on the Oregon coast nearly all my life, and there is no nightlife, no social scene, no art, no theater, and no single people my age.

That being said: I am petrified! As much as I adored Greenville, it will be a huge change: I get along well with people from all branches of politics, but I do tend toward being liberal, and I am not a Christian, so I'm worried I won't make friends. Let alone getting used to sales tax and pumping my own gas.

In short, I'd like to move to a place where there will be people my age, a bit of a nightlife, the arts, and friendly people, and Greenville seems to most promising as far as my career goes. So given my self-description, is it worth it for me to take the job in Greenville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:01 PM

511 posts, read 1,522,301 times
I do not think you will have a problem. Most of the people I meet here are friendly and will talk to anyone(even in line at the grocery store). You can check out some groups on meetup.com to see if there are any that interest you. You can meet people through that and your job of course. You will probably find that the taxes are not as bad as you think and pumping your own gas is not too bad either. Best of luck to you in your decision.

Old 09-08-2010, 07:17 PM

Thanks! Do you have any insight as to which parts of the city are good to live (no bugs, low crime, etc.)? I'm scared getting something sight-unseen, but I won't be able to swing moving across the country and visiting first do go apt hunting...

Old 09-08-2010, 08:35 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleighkate View Post
Thanks! Do you have any insight as to which parts of the city are good to live (no bugs, low crime, etc.)? I'm scared getting something sight-unseen, but I won't be able to swing moving across the country and visiting first do go apt hunting...
There are several real estate and apartment-finding websites (Google should help) you can use to research as best you can. I'd imagine that most suburban areas are "safer" from a petty crime standpoint, but most single twenty-somethings probably live in or very near downtown. Downtown is very well-patrolled and well-lit for the most part, but can be pricey.

Don't worry about "cultural" issues like religion, etc. There are PLENTY of conservatives here (I'm one but am not religious), but people usually reserve religious or political conversation for private settings with friends. Folks here are friendly, helpful and generous. And while there are lots of convervatives here, that by no means they have a complete monopoly on dialogue here.

If you're open to new experiences and don't come here with pre-conceived notions, I think you'll be happy!

Old 09-09-2010, 05:02 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,661,092 times
The atheists and lapsed Christians likely outnumber the active Christians here. I know some of these guys mean well, but if you are a young female, be wary of living downtown. The housing you will probably be able to afford there can be subject to late night crimes, disrespect for property, and lead to some uneasy or sleepless nights. I would recommend living somewhere away from downtown and just driving in during the daytime.

Newcomers to Greenville are being sold on the downtown and many want to live down there and be able to walk there, but some end up moving out of town due to the lingering issues of crime and poverty in and around that area. If you don't believe me, check out Miss Destructo's blog entries from last year (http://missdestructo.com/2009/07/ch-ch-ch-changes/ - broken link).

Old 09-09-2010, 06:19 AM

306 posts, read 689,456 times
Quote:
First- "No Bugs"-???!!!-This is South Carolina! While we do have fewer bugs than the SC coast here in the Greenville area, I don't think anywhere is without bugs. There are some crazy looking ones here too, compared to the ones I grew up with in NY, but the mosquitos seem less here.

Second-Finding a place that has a good school district usually has less crime than those without one. This is not a rule of course, but it may help. Crime stat’s can be checked out online as well.

Finally-People are very welcoming and extremely friendly here. Making friends should not be a problem at all.

I hope this helps a little. It truly is a wonderful place to live.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:15 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,374,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
The atheists and lapsed Christians likely outnumber the active Christians here. I know some of these guys mean well, but if you are a young female, be wary of living downtown. The housing you will probably be able to afford there can be subject to late night crimes, disrespect for property, and lead to some uneasy or sleepless nights. I would recommend living somewhere away from downtown and just driving in during the daytime.

Newcomers to Greenville are being sold on the downtown and many want to live down there and be able to walk there, but some end up moving out of town due to the lingering issues of crime and poverty in and around that area. If you don't believe me, check out Miss Destructo's blog entries from last year (http://missdestructo.com/2009/07/ch-ch-ch-changes/ - broken link).
I'm sure it depends on where you are referring to. The CBD is definitely a great place to live, unlike some of the areas to the west and south, which are more "ghetto". Downtown as a whole is a fantastic place to be anytime of the day and into the night, whether you are alone, with a group, or with your family. Each time I visit downtown, I am immediately reminded of how blessed we have been to live in such an amazing place as Greenville, problems aside. The recent addition of several miles worth of bicycle and walking/running trails, combined with the enthusiastic community support for their continual development, have only added strength to my contentment as a resident in this city.

For another perspective regarding living in Downtown Greenville, SC, follow this blog:

Greenville Daily Photo – living downtown

Old 09-09-2010, 08:24 AM

Thanks everyone for the info (and the blog). This info has made me feel secure about accepting the job and moving to a relatively unfamiliar place. I really appreciate your insight.

And rbad: I meant apartments with bugs, namely, cockroaches. For example, in Oregon, there are certain neighborhoods one does not live in if one has done their homework, because all those houses are built on giant anthills. So ants come in, even if you're OCD clean. I can handle bugs that accidentally wander in, but not infestations.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:39 AM

306 posts, read 689,456 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the info (and the blog). This info has made me feel secure about accepting the job and moving to a relatively unfamiliar place. I really appreciate your insight.

And rbad: I meant apartments with bugs, namely, cockroaches. For example, in Oregon, there are certain neighborhoods one does not live in if one has done their homework, because all those houses are built on giant anthills. So ants come in, even if you're OCD clean. I can handle bugs that accidentally wander in, but not infestations.
Oh...I misunderstood your "No Bugs" request....my bad. I can't help you with apartments referrals, but I'm sure some one on here can. Good luck with everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area