Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:40 PM

63 posts, read 431,543 times

Advertisements

If you could only visit one park in Greenville which is the Must See?

Paris Mountain, Caesars Head, Jones Gap or Table Rock?

Which Park will really Wow you with incredible views of the Mountains or other natural landmarks like rock formations or waterfalls? Is their one where you get to the top of a hike or the end of your trail and your reward is an Incredible breathtaking view?

Is their one Park that is more for a nice stroll....an easy day, just relaxing and another that is simply breathtaking? Or do they all have pro's and cons?

If anyone has pictures or opionions it would be much appreciated as i am coming down in mid july.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 10:13 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Mumbles View Post
If you could only visit one park in Greenville which is the Must See?

Paris Mountain, Caesars Head, Jones Gap or Table Rock?

Which Park will really Wow you with incredible views of the Mountains or other natural landmarks like rock formations or waterfalls? Is their one where you get to the top of a hike or the end of your trail and your reward is an Incredible breathtaking view?

Is their one Park that is more for a nice stroll....an easy day, just relaxing and another that is simply breathtaking? Or do they all have pro's and cons?

If anyone has pictures or opionions it would be much appreciated as i am coming down in mid july.
Yes! Here are some great questions to answer.

First off, it really depends on each person's preference as to which park is the overall best, since each has its own speciality. If I was to rate the state parks nearby Greenville in any order, I would break them into the categories each is best in.
  • Table Rock - Best for rock formations, family camping, and strenuous hiking.
  • Jones Gap - Best for cool valley breezes and trout fishing.
  • Caesar's Head - Best for breathtaking mountain views and a moderate hiking trail to the state's signature 400+ foot waterfall (Raven Cliff Falls (http://www.myparkphotos.com/monthlywinners/january/GN-1024-SC-CesarsHeadStatePark-RavenCliffFalls-RonAnderson.jpg - broken link)).
  • Paris Mountain - Best for closeby outdoor family activity and mountain biking.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:05 PM

63 posts, read 431,543 times
Thanks that was exactly the type of information I was looking for, if you are at Barleys Tap Room in mid July I will buy you a drink!

Old 07-05-2007, 02:46 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Here is a snapshot of the Middle Saluda River in Jones Gap State Park. I was fly fishing there yesterday and it was very beautiful as always.

Old 07-05-2007, 03:04 PM
WFR

23 posts, read 103,665 times
Jones Gap has limited parking so on the weekends you have to wait at times to get in. It's my favorite though.
Paris Mtn has some nice trails and I hike there frequently.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 PM

617 posts, read 2,571,875 times
Yeah, I have memories of having to wait a LONG time to get in. I haven't been up there recently, but my family tried going up once and had to wait in line for over an hour. It is a nice park though.

Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 AM

9 posts, read 52,773 times
Default Devils Fork State park on Jocassee

There aren't alot of hiking trails but Jocassee lake is the most beautiful sight to see. The water is crystal clear. It is the furthest distance, but really worth the drive.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:09 AM

286 posts, read 1,477,476 times
I don't remember the trail name, but just past Caesar's Head is a trailhead that will bring you all the way down to Jones Gap. I'm not in great shape, so I appreciated that it was all downhill. Of course, you have to park a car at each end to appreciate all downhill Otherwise, you gotta go back up!

I agree that all these parks have there own interest.

At Jones Gap, you can walk the trail for about a mile in and back out without it being too strenuous. There is also a 2 mile loop at Table Rock that is pretty flat. I'm commenting on these, because if you are in average shape, most other trails will be a real challenge. They are for me.

One time we went down to Ravens Cliff Falls and continued cown the valley and back up the other side behind the falls and then back to Caesars Head. Have any of you done this one? That was sun up to sun down, kick your butt hiking.

Old 04-26-2016, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,349 times
Which Greenville South Carolina State Park has that cross that you can hike up to and see with the beautiful look out from the cliff? Thank you Michelle

Old 04-26-2016, 05:16 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangel07 View Post
Which Greenville South Carolina State Park has that cross that you can hike up to and see with the beautiful look out from the cliff? Thank you Michelle
That's Pretty Place at Camp Greenville: Pretty Place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area