Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 06:33 AM

98 posts, read 203,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Seriously? It's Floridians for me. THANKFULLY, the Floridians I've met are nothing like the Floridians I'm trying to leave behind. They seem to have moved here for the same reasons I'm moving away, which is good. I sure don't want to move all the way up here and have to deal with the same type of people I've dealt with down there The Floridians I've met have never regretted their move here, love the way of life they've found here and have only good things to say about living here - it's so nice and refreshing, and again, so different than what I'm use to in SOFLA.

Please, tell me you're joking?? After living in FL and having to drive on totally flat land, especially when you are driving 6 hours to get out of the state, I marvel and so enjoy driving up here. I love driving the winding country roads and up the mountains. I marvel at the trees, especially as they start to change. The homes that dot the mountains. The few deer you see from time to time. I also love the lack of bumper to bumper traffic on every stinking road, that the majority of Greenville drivers are polite, I can go on....
very true - tons of south floridians up here - seems that anyone who isn't at least 100K or more upside down on their house down south that can get out has gotten out of dodge to move up here. lol
hopefully all the rif-raf stays down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 02:24 PM

696 posts, read 1,334,906 times
Quote:
that the majority of Greenville drivers are polite
Which roads are you driving on? lol. I've found many Greenville drivers to be pretty bad, running red lights, cutting people off, tailgating, etc. I stated in a previous post that I suspect many of those drivers are transplants from the Northeast, but there are plenty of bad drivers here.

This morning I was at the intersection of Wade Hampton and Pine Knoll Dr when a pickup truck blew through a red light after my light had already turned green and traffic was moving. Fortunately there was a police car behind me and he promptly hit the lights and chased after the guy. I literally clapped my hands and cheered the cop on. That kind of stuff happens a LOT here, and it's stupid dangerous. I wouldn't mind seeing some red light cameras being installed. Greenville could make a killing on red light tickets.

But... Bad drivers are really the only complaint I have about Greenville. Everything else is pretty darn awesome.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:37 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
Which roads are you driving on? lol. I've found many Greenville drivers to be pretty bad, running red lights, cutting people off, tailgating, etc. I stated in a previous post that I suspect many of those drivers are transplants from the Northeast, but there are plenty of bad drivers here.
I'm driving all over, really. I'm having a great time getting lost on purpose and finding new and different ways of getting around. The drivers you've encountered are a normal every day occurence in SOFLA, with the addition of drivers down there also make a right from the far left lane, weave in and out of traffic, and carry guns, and aren't afraid to use them. Oh, and they can cuss you out in a language you may not understand. If you only see one person run the red light, consider yourself lucky, it's more like 4-5 run the light after it turns red. We will sit there an make bets on how many will do it.

Good that a cop was there - it seems there never around at the right time. Glad he nabbed that guy.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 AM

Now that sounds like Philadelphia.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:57 AM

Where did you move here from?

Philadelphia by way of Mid-Michigan and Central Florida.

What brought you to move here (work, family, school, health, etc.)

Work, more laid back lifestyle, and I have family here.

How long have you been here?

1 year, 1 month

Are you happy/regretful of your move here?

Probably the best decision I've ever made.

What (if anything) do you miss from your previous city that you don't have here?

WaWa, someone pumping gas for me (in NJ), Meijer's, the beach, not having allergies.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:56 AM

672 posts, read 1,417,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsinphilly View Post
I usually describe the bad driving here as "Jerks & Idiots" The jerks are flying around without regard for anyone's safety, and the idiots are driving 10 under, swerving between the lanes . There seem to be a few reasonable drivers, though and I'll continue to set a good example! If anything, it's made me a safer driver.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:20 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:
Seriously? It's Floridians for me. THANKFULLY, the Floridians I've met are nothing like the Floridians I'm trying to leave behind. They seem to have moved here for the same reasons I'm moving away, which is good. I sure don't want to move all the way up here and have to deal with the same type of people I've dealt with down there The Floridians I've met have never regretted their move here, love the way of life they've found here and have only good things to say about living here - it's so nice and refreshing, and again, so different than what I'm use to in SOFLA.

Please, tell me you're joking?? After living in FL and having to drive on totally flat land, especially when you are driving 6 hours to get out of the state, I marvel and so enjoy driving up here. I love driving the winding country roads and up the mountains. I marvel at the trees, especially as they start to change. The homes that dot the mountains. The few deer you see from time to time. I also love the lack of bumper to bumper traffic on every stinking road, that the majority of Greenville drivers are polite, I can go on....

i've actually only met 3 different families from Fla. in the last 7 years.

maybe its not so much the flat land i miss but the knowing you can get lost in northwest ohio and without hesitation find your way back. everything is grid like coupled with the flat driving surface makes it easy to navigate. down here i can be on a road for a few miles, stay on the same road but be going in a totally different direction and on a totally different street name. (see east north street and or n. pleasantburg rd.).

Old 10-22-2010, 10:24 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
driving in GC is no different than anywhere else. especially for a metro area of 1/2 a million people. when you combine that many people with poor planning for road infrastructure (see woodruff road) you're going to have driving issues to deal with. people get anxious on the road and well become not the best of drivers. happens in many places.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:11 AM
Kaz

9 posts, read 34,723 times
Job transfer from Schenectedy, NY.
Grew up in Syracuse, NY.
Love this area - mostly weather and cost of living.
23 years and counting...

Old 11-19-2010, 12:02 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,176,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz View Post
Job transfer from Schenectedy, NY.
Grew up in Syracuse, NY.
Love this area - mostly weather and cost of living.
23 years and counting...

Just thought it was a bit ironic, was just on the computer looking at flights in to Albany for my daughter for Jan., she's performing in Schenectedy then and then I saw your post. I guess Schenectedy isn't all that big, having to fly to Albany, which can't be all that big either???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area