Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 10:14 AM

36 posts, read 106,453 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am living temporarily in South Carolina, but legally can not declare residence here (I go to college and can't declare it as my address)

My issue is that my residence is 1,500 miles away, and I am replacing my car here. My home state requires inspections, and driving back for that is not really feasible. Is there any way to register my car in SC? The person I called at the DMV said I was in a "catch-22" since I can't register a car in my home state without wasting a week and 3000 miles of driving to get it inspected, add to that the crap I already get from the police for being "down here".

Any advice? Can I register it at a PO Box or something? I had an address over the summer and my bank account is still registered there, but the lease is up, and I am back on campus.

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 12:02 AM

84 posts, read 236,072 times
Maybe you could give your local address at the time of purchase, in the case of a car dealer for example, and the car would be registered to you at that address.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:29 AM

288 posts, read 948,709 times
If you have a friend willing to let you receive mail at his/her house, you can put that as your residence. We did that during the six months my husband was working in SC and staying with a friend during the week but still technically living in another state. He purchased a car during that time. We were making sure a new job was going to work out before selling our NC house and moving here. Perhaps not the most "correct" way but in special circumstances like yours, you do what you have to.

Old 10-16-2010, 02:20 PM

6,623 posts, read 7,334,922 times
Call your home state and ask what to do. Also call your current insurance company and ask for advice. I live in NJ and if you are out of the state you can postpone inspections until you return to the state so maybe your state will let you register now and get the inspections when you return.

Old 10-16-2010, 08:32 PM

372 posts, read 808,444 times
I live in NH at the current time and my car is registered thru my PO Box. Good luck.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times
I recently relocated back to SC from out of state. All I had was a PO Box for a while, and I had no trouble at all changing the registration on my vehicles, even though they wouldn't let me get a license. For registration, the only thing they really care about is that you've paid the property taxes. You don't have to be a legal resident to title a vehicle. The Spartanburg tax office let my girlfriend set up and pay the property taxes on my vehicles with nothing but the make, model and mileage of the vehicles. I wasn't even there. Call the county tax office and see about setting up property taxes while living on campus. I'm sure they'll be glad to take your money.

The DMV title application form has both a physical address and a mailing address, which can be different. You should be able to put the school address for the physical address and the PO box for mailing, and be good to go at the DMV with your property tax receipt.

Old 11-22-2010, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 11,973 times
I am temporary living in south Carolina (on a b1/b2 Visa) and look for a way to register & insure a car.
I have an addressfor a rental period of 4 months and a bank account here.
Sofar my knowledge is that a need a SC drive rLicence which I can only get when I own property here.

Is ther any way to solve that problem since renting a car all the time is very expensive

Old 11-22-2010, 08:47 PM

288 posts, read 948,709 times
You do not need to own property to obtain a driver's license. There are plenty of renters (not to mention teenage drivers) legally driving cars. You do need a permanent address and some other documents, such as proof of insurance, etc. There is probably a list on the DMV website.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:46 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,206,121 times
They do have sometihng called in-transit plates. Depends on state I guess we were going to do it when moving back to NY from Fl. They told us this at car dealership where we were going to buy new car. Then again they will tell you anything to sell you a car. Decided to wait and just buy it here.

Best of luck

Old 11-23-2010, 09:11 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaelcat View Post
You do not need to own property to obtain a driver's license. There are plenty of renters (not to mention teenage drivers) legally driving cars. You do need a permanent address and some other documents, such as proof of insurance, etc. There is probably a list on the DMV website.
That was my first reaction too, but in this case the poster isn't a US citizen. They are here on a work visa. Maybe the rules are different in that situation (I honestly don't know).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area