Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 04:31 PM

40 posts, read 80,460 times

Advertisements

A question about the half mile lake subdivision. I am looking at buying a house and I am considering this subdivision. However, I am a bit concerned about why there are so many houses for sale and rent in this area. Does anyone have any information why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 07:11 PM

144 posts, read 296,111 times
As a long time resident of the subdivision I really cannot think of many negative things to say about it.
Pretty good community overall for the price range and most of the homes were built by good local builders back in the early 90's.

I think one reason you see a lot of homes for sale in this neighborhood is because of the price range. Its kind of a mid range subdivision with most people not envisioning this being there last stop. For most homes it is a pretty fast turn over but some places have not been taken care of or have some other flaws that keep them on the market.

Feel free to private message me if you want more specifics.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificcoastjim View Post
A question about the half mile lake subdivision. I am looking at buying a house and I am considering this subdivision. However, I am a bit concerned about why there are so many houses for sale and rent in this area. Does anyone have any information why?
I hope that you did not buy a home in Half Mile Lake; we bought in a few years ago and couldn't be more disappointed. The fact that our home's value has dropped about $40,000 (one home just sold for $10,000 less than what the family owed just so they could get our of here) is bad and cannot be attributed entirely to Greenville's overall market, but, we moved here based on the community's past history - that "friendly family neighborhood" doesn't exist. The homeowners association has no "teeth" - it seems basically anyone can do what they want. The homeowners fees have gone up $30 in two years, and you can no longer get a discount for paying early, etc. . This may sound like "sour grapes" but my expressed sentiments are those of several people just on our street. You were right - too many homes for sale, too many rentals...sad, it USED to be an amazing place to live. Welcome to Greenville - it's a wonderful place to live! But, there are much better communities than Half Mile Lake.

Last edited by hmlresident; 01-28-2011 at 06:31 PM.. Reason: deleted an "opinion" not substantiated fact

Old 01-29-2011, 07:49 AM

40 posts, read 80,460 times
Thanks, I did not buy in the neighborhood. I decided I wanted more things in the area that were closer ... things I could walk to or ride a bicycle to. Plus after this last storm system that passed I could only image how difficult it most have to been to drive through the area with all the snow and ice on the roads.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:39 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmlresident View Post
I hope that you did not buy a home in Half Mile Lake; we bought in a few years ago and couldn't be more disappointed. The fact that our home's value has dropped about $40,000 (one home just sold for $10,000 less than what the family owed just so they could get our of here) is bad and cannot be attributed entirely to Greenville's overall market, but, we moved here based on the community's past history - that "friendly family neighborhood" doesn't exist. The homeowners association has no "teeth" - it seems basically anyone can do what they want. The homeowners fees have gone up $30 in two years, and you can no longer get a discount for paying early, etc. . This may sound like "sour grapes" but my expressed sentiments are those of several people just on our street. You were right - too many homes for sale, too many rentals...sad, it USED to be an amazing place to live. Welcome to Greenville - it's a wonderful place to live! But, there are much better communities than Half Mile Lake.
This is happening all over America, not just in Half Mile Lake, which make it a great time to buy in this subdivision. The location is great. Don't let one person scare you away. Talk to the neighbors around the house you might want to purchase. There is always somebody that is not happy.

Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Where IS this neighborhood? I've never heard of it.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:36 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Where IS this neighborhood? I've never heard of it.
It is just off State Park Road, near Altamont Road. It's a great location, near Cherrydale and only 8 to 10 minutes to downtown Greenville.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
It is just off State Park Road, near Altamont Road. It's a great location, near Cherrydale and only 8 to 10 minutes to downtown Greenville.
Ohhhhh.... Now I think I know the one. We've been to Paris Mountain State Park many times, and I believe I remember noticing a neighborhood with a lake along State Park Rd. It looked nice from the main road...

Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 AM

2 posts, read 5,301 times
Hi, I was wondering where you did move to? We want to be close to downtown and looked at North Main, but it still seems that we won't be able to bike or walk to much. We have a young child and can't decide if it will be easier for her to be active and make friends at Half Mile Lake or near the Stone Elementary. Quick accessibility to downtown and neighborhood friends for her are our most important priorities (within our price range, of course).

Old 03-11-2013, 09:57 AM

73 posts, read 121,981 times
We just purchased a home on Half Mile Lake last year, and we couldn't be happier. One thing I will say about the subdivision is that since it is so large, saying that you're disappointed with HML as a whole may be misleading. As we walk the dog around the neighborhood there are vastly different home styles/lot sizes - very different from the cookie-cutter newer subdivisions.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area