Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:13 AM

153 posts, read 937,775 times

Advertisements

I am greek and having lived in Michigan for most of my life I was very spoiled by all the greek food we had. I LOVE Greenville but that is the one thing I miss the most. Ok, the only thing...

What I wouldn't give for a little coney island with saganaki (OPA!), baklava, spinach pie and most importantly REAL greek salad with creamy dressing, none of that vinegar stuff. (bonus points if they make it automatically with beets included)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 07:56 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,969,175 times
I will look forward to the responses you get. I was born in Detroit and although I lived in Traverse City from 86-2008, I still missed Greektown!

If you just moved here and haven't gone, make sure you check out the Greek Festival next spring!
Greek Festival Greenville, South Carolina

Old 09-15-2009, 10:20 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,761,819 times
Try one of our many Pete's or Clock's in the upstate. Oh, you asked for Greek restaurant's, not restaurants owned by Greeks! Seriously, try Never on Sunday, Mytho's, The Olympian and the Olive Tree. I am sure you will get many more responses.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:31 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,714,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeAddict View Post
I am greek and having lived in Michigan for most of my life I was very spoiled by all the greek food we had. I LOVE Greenville but that is the one thing I miss the most. Ok, the only thing...

What I wouldn't give for a little coney island with saganaki (OPA!), baklava, spinach pie and most importantly REAL greek salad with creamy dressing, none of that vinegar stuff. (bonus points if they make it automatically with beets included)

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
I'm Greek America as well, and there's a ton of Greeks here. I'm originally from NJ and there are more Greeks here now, then where I grew up. The Greek festival here is huge and really a lot of fun.

If you want old school, home cooked Greek food, Never on Sunday in downtown is the place for you. It's run by a 70 something husband and wife.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:47 PM

153 posts, read 937,775 times
Thanks for the recs! Keep 'em coming!

I've been here about a year now. Went to the greek festival and loved it!

I've passed by Never on Sunday a few times and it always looks totally empty. That's why I haven't given it a try yet. But if it's getting good recommendations I'll have to stop in.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 5,145 times
Olive Tree on Villa Rd. in Greenville, SC just off Pleasantburg near I-385.
Delicious mom and pop type of Greek and Italian restaurant. Great Salads. The best salad dressing ever! They even sell their home made dressing by the half gallon.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:58 PM

6 posts, read 12,404 times
I've been curious about the same thing. My husband (also Greek-American) and I are moving to Greenville later this year and am hoping to find a good Greek restaurant in the Greenville area.

I am disappointed to see that most in the area seem to be sandwich/sub shop type places or the ever ubiquitous Italian/Greek combo restaurants that seem to do neither that well.

I would love to find a place that embraces authentic Greek dishes and specialties. Especially a place that makes the different types of Greek dips like melitzanosalata, taramosalata and skordalia with fresh hot pita. I guess if we can't find a restaurant we can always make it at home or open our own Greek place.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 PM

182 posts, read 492,777 times
Olive Tree is wonderful! and absolutely attend the Greek Festival downtown...it's as authentic as it gets! Never on Sunday is an established restaurant, I haven't eaten there in years because I moved away, but I have never had a bad meal there...truly good food. The Greek community is very rich and full of tradition in Greenville. Surely there are more options in addition to the "Pete's" and "Clock" drive in type restaurants? I love a Chili Cheese/half and half every once in a while, but the creamy dressing and gyro...that's what I'm looking for! PS Como's on Augusta Road...best onion rings EVER!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:24 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times
We recently tried Yia Yia's at Night (Corporate Deli during day) on Pelham, it was delish! Only open Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. The baklava cheesecake was to die for! My DH said the grilled gyro was the best he had ever had. Nothing there disappointed us, we'll definitely go back.

Old 04-11-2011, 08:25 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,188,965 times
LOL! I just realized this was an old thread, revived!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area