Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2010, 07:12 PM

27 posts, read 86,760 times

Advertisements

Last week i was searching jobs with the local electric companies up and down the east coast because we want to get out of one of the most expensive states to live in. Connecticut.
We have considered for a long time now, atlanta, North carolina and Florida but South Carolina came onto our radar a couple weeks ago.
We are a mid 30's married couple tired of the new england winters who work for our electric company for the past 7 years, The pay is awesome but we want to start over, start new and finally get out.
THis last week i saw a job posting for Duke energy, just a call center job which is where I am a supervisor now up here.
THe job was location in Greenville. Not a town I have ever heard of, nor should I really have cause I never considered SC.
So I dida little research on this town/city if Greenville, THe more research I did the more anxious I was to pull the trigger and apply, both of us.
You guys have what seems a perfect town to live in. Nothing like what we would get up here, ya we have New York City and Boston at our doorsteps.
But we were and are looking for not hectic, warming and a great community feel. You do not get any of this up here.
After discussing it with my wife we have decided not to apply mainly due to taking too much a pay cut (myself would loose 25,000 a year, honestly).
Our hearts are there but I dont think we can survive on such a small income. ITs killing me inside that we arent doing it though, it was a great outlet
to going south, these chances dont come often. but I chickened out and didnt pull the trigger.
I kinda regret not doing it but we need to start a family soon and this kind of pay wont cut it.
THank you Greenville for showing me what a great city u are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 07:14 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,139,471 times
You will be sorry. Just kidding. Best of luck to you in ever what you decide to do.

Old 11-22-2010, 04:45 PM

306 posts, read 689,982 times
My Husband and I grew up on Long Island, NY..... AKA highest taxes in the country! He took a 20k a year income cut and I no longer work....nor do I have to! Don't know your financial situation, but we were really struggling in NY. Now we are constantly taking trips, including being able to go to Disney, with our 3 kids, every year since we moved here. Granted, we sold our home on LI for a profit of about $170,000 and were able to buy a 5 year old house with over 2000 sq. ft., so we have no mortgage. We are actually enjoying our life, as never before, and are extremely grateful we moved here.

Wish you the best, whatever you decide.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 PM

301 posts, read 804,690 times
That might seem like a big pay-cut, but have you considered the cost of living difference? Greenville is a really cheap place to live. You can get more land and housing here than you would compared to the rest of the country for a cheaper price.

Old 11-22-2010, 07:44 PM

27 posts, read 86,760 times
we dont have a house to sell to make a profit. We basically live paycheck to paycheck now so going down there we would be, perhaps worse off, too many credit cards to still pay off right now and that we want to start our family soon.
It was very tempting but for 12.00 an hour I dont see how we can survive right now. We would have both gotten the job most likely....but o well
maybe next round.
It would've been cool too working for Duke Energy,were I can almost claim that I am the biggest BLuedevils fan here in Connecticut since every one here is huskies

Old 11-23-2010, 04:37 AM

1,153 posts, read 1,662,988 times
It's hard to live on that even in Greenville. You probably did the right thing.

Keep looking from time to time though. You never know when that job will come along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area