Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2007, 11:09 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,773 times

Advertisements

Here's a new twist. For the folks who have left the South because of perceived problems, what ever they may be, and return North, like I have finally done, Are there any of you that are back North and have tried like heck to get established only to find that it is almost impossible to overcome the cost of living for the LOW wages companies are paying here in Upstate? Add to that the shear frustration and lack of pride people have up here and you cant blame anyone because you forgot what a "survival game" it is to just stay alive and hold on to hope and joy???? That New Yorkers are the best in the world but have short fuses when we cross each other wrong and find that your own temper has found shorter limits since coming back???

And after this and all the other things most of you could add and know what I'm talking about are just now considering going BACK South??? because a person really does need HOPE & OPPORTUNITY?. Gee Whizz, I love NY but the place is breaking my heart and I want the best life for my kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2007, 01:38 PM

14 posts, read 54,316 times
My wife is in this boat. She was from Jersey, moved to Greenville with her ex, and when they divorced, she moved back up here. Now that we are settled and have a family, she wants to move back down there. We live in PA, and as much as I would love to move back to Jersey, her idea to move to Greenville makes a whole lot more sense. She's a nurse, and can make good money anywhere, so we can definitely live better down there...

Old 11-24-2007, 07:35 PM

18 posts, read 119,640 times
I lived in SC, TX, and FL. I moved to Michigan for more money. Now that I am established I want to move back to SC. Looking at the Greenville area. Cant wait..

Old 11-26-2007, 08:51 AM

254 posts, read 1,142,773 times
Bad economy sure has an impact on your very soul. We can spend pages & pages.... Yea, volumes on the beauty and quality of the North. NY & New england which is the area I'm in but ya know? If you cant afford to enjoy the place and everyone's attitude is sour because they too are fighting to stay alive working 2 1/2 Jobs per household just to make ends meat, whats the use. Its one thing to dream about idealistic little villages, beautiful natural lakes, wonderful food, etc... ect... but when you get up here you remember exactly why it was you left in the first place. A person can only take so much of a beating. And really, yes there are problems associated with the huge development in the South but there are also some very nice things there too and HOPE is food for the soul. Without it we DIE. Greenville area is the Best of the South

Old 11-26-2007, 09:14 AM

14 posts, read 54,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagenyjoe View Post
Bad economy sure has an impact on your very soul. We can spend pages & pages.... Yea, volumes on the beauty and quality of the North. NY & New england which is the area I'm in but ya know? If you cant afford to enjoy the place and everyone's attitude is sour because they too are fighting to stay alive working 2 1/2 Jobs per household just to make ends meat, whats the use. Its one thing to dream about idealistic little villages, beautiful natural lakes, wonderful food, etc... ect... but when you get up here you remember exactly why it was you left in the first place. A person can only take so much of a beating. And really, yes there are problems associated with the huge development in the South but there are also some very nice things there too and HOPE is food for the soul. Without it we DIE. Greenville area is the Best of the South
I agree. Thats the thing thats going to keep me from Jersey. I can afford to "live" there, but thats all. We will just get bye. We will have a much better live down South. I read that New Jersey is actually losing population over the last few years... Its no wonder with the cost of living. The popular phrase these days is "last one out, please turn out the lights".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area