Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:45 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,075,105 times

Advertisements

It is possible to live in Flat Rock, NC, (southern edge of Asheville) and commute to areas of Greenville. Just FYI. Lots of retired age folks in Flat Rock/Hendersonville area. You get the benefits of the weather but would still have the amenities of Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 06:46 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
It is possible to live in Flat Rock, NC, and commute to areas of Greenville. Just FYI.
Of course! The commute would be 30-45ish minutes each way.... There are MUCH longer commutes within other metro areas.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:55 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,797,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
NEITHER!
I would head over to Atlanta or Charlotte, both are more progressive than Asheville or Greenville. Up front you will pay more money in cost of living but in the meantime you will have much better paying job opportunities so that when retirement comes hopefully you will have saved a nice nest egg.

Another thing to remember is that SC was hit pretty hard with unemployment during this recession.....there are those on here who try to separate Greenville from the rest of SC but it is still located in SC.

If you were retired now then my vote would have definitely gone to Greenville....a retiree can live pretty nicely there if all they are interested in is a nice downtown and restaurants.
I have to disagree with all of this.....if you're looking for a slower pace of life then Charlotte or Atlanta are not the places to be. Asheville is a beautiful place but like someone else said it is more "touristy" than Greenville. Asheville has Biltmore House, which is where I would like to live if I lived in Asheville!! It's worth the trip, if you've never been. But the weather is colder and they get more snow in Asheville than they do in Greenville.

I thought about moving to Asheville at one point but I'm a Greenville/Greer girl so I'm perfectly happy living here. A lot of people live in Greer and work in Greenville....Greer is in between Greenville and Spartanburg. The downtown Greenville area is great, like someone else mentioned, and Falls park and the zoo are worth a visit. I may be a little biased but I don't think so because I've spent time in Asheville also and if you're looking for a slower pace and beautiful scenery in the mountain area then Greenville is the better choice. The weather is not as harsh and it still has small city charm, while growing exponentially. Plus, there are plenty of jobs already here or coming in the near future. I'm trying to talk a friend in Florida to come here for a job....they have been out of a job for 2 years!!

I love the winding roads and hills, without the huge mountain climbs and wear and tear on your car. We're in the foothills, but there are so many mountain views and vistas that you'll feel like you're in the mountains. It's really pretty here, and the fall leaves are fantastic! If you want to see more all you have to do is drive towards Hendersonville/Asheville and you'll see the best fall color show ever!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:37 PM

33 posts, read 55,696 times
thanks everyone for your comments- alot to consider. I'm headed that way later this year so hope to look around to better familiarize myself.
take care- Curtis Boy

Old 01-18-2011, 11:28 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,792 times
Just to correct what someone said, SC and NC's INCOME taxes are about equal, both around 7% for average earners. I thought SC was less too, but I'm looking into moving to greenville and found that out.

I've lived in Asheville my whole life and am now, after graduating college and working in a resturant for two years, looking at a move to greenville. I have been applying all over the county, but never SC, sent in a few resumes recently, and got an interview within a few days. First interview in a year. The sad reality is that there are no substaniable jobs in Asheville. Its all service industry due to tourism. Not to mention housing prices in asheville seem to be about double from my research so far. So if you have to work, you'd best go with greenville, but of course not make any decisions until finding a job.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
Current state income tax rates are here.

Top Earners in SC and NC:

For those make above $13,700, SC taxes at 7%. The standard joint deduction in SC is $11,400.

For those making above $60K, NC taxes at 7.75%. The standard joint deduction is $6K.

For those making above $60K, one will save 0.75% in state income taxes in SC. For those making below $60K, income taxes are nearly identical.

Sales taxes are nearly identical but SC does not tax groceries.

Additionally, SC imposes 16.8 cents of tax per gallon of gas. NC is 30.2 cents. Also, cigarette, spirit, wine, and beer taxes are lower in SC . See this from the Tax Foundation.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:05 AM

503 posts, read 927,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Sales taxes are nearly identical but SC does not tax groceries.

Additionally, SC imposes 16.8 cents of tax per gallon of gas. NC is 30.2 cents. Also, cigarette, spirit, wine, and beer taxes are lower in SC . See this from the Tax Foundation.
But SC has ridiculous vehicle taxes. 3 to 4 times what they are in NC.

Old 01-19-2011, 07:10 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
Dave, I completely agree with you - the auto property/"ad-valorem" taxes in SC are outrageously high - there's a definite incentive in this state to purchase older, smaller autos - that's why I have a used CRV

On a similar subject, auto sales taxes are capped at $300 in SC.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,548,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
Dave, I completely agree with you - the auto property/"ad-valorem" taxes in SC are outrageously high - there's a definite incentive in this state to purchase older, smaller autos
THAT is the ONE thing I wish someone in Columbia would address on behalf of the state's citizens! It's frightening! Yeah, your tag is cheap, but dear God, the property tax you must pay first in order to GET that tag is breathtaking! There must be a more even-handed way for the state to do these things...

Old 01-19-2011, 01:04 PM

915 posts, read 2,424,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
But SC has ridiculous vehicle taxes. 3 to 4 times what they are in NC.
Just to clarify...

North Carolina charges a 3% sales tax (no ceiling) on vehicles purchased, and also requires annual inspections (approx $50 per year). Gas is also typically $.15-.20 more per gallon in Asheville, compared to Greenville.

South Carolina caps the sales tax on vehicles at $300, and there are no annual inspections. Obviously, I've already covered the fact that gas is cheaper.

Just to give you a 5 year example (2006 Accord - $26,000 - 12,000 miles/year)

NC - $780 (sales tax) + $250 (inspection fees) + $6,775 (gas, based on today's prices for 5 years) = $7,805

SC - $300 (sales tax) + $0 (inspection fees) + $6,264 (gas) + 1,839 (car tax 5 years) = $8,403

Somehow I don't think an extra $119.60 per year is ridiculous, especially when Buncombe County's real estate property tax rate is about $2.14 (per $1,000 of the home value) higher than Greenville County. That right there for a $100,000 home, is $214 more per year, which more than washes out our personal property tax on cars.

Overall, cost-of-living in Buncombe County is 11% higher than Greenville County.

Last edited by ckeegan; 01-19-2011 at 01:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area