Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:42 PM

807 posts, read 1,785,078 times

Advertisements

Well said G-Man. My son and step son are both avid cyclist and I am glad! Is it worse to ride your bike for health reasons or jog or walk? They all are entitled to their space as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,602 times
Most people I know agree with me that the cyclist in the Upstate are the most despised group of people here.
I have a car and truck both of which I pay taxes on. I pay for a license plate and registration for my two vehicles. I have been tested and paid for a license to drive on the roads. Cyclist do none of this but for some reason feel entitled to block traffic on roads where they can not reach anywhere near the speed limit. I am yet to see one pull over and allow traffic to go by in these situations.
Over on the G News site someone asked "Why not go over to Donaldson Center and ride Perimeter Road where there is minimal traffic and varying terrain. Answer was "Nobody could see them in their multicolored spandex and pointed hats. It is all about show.
As to runners and walkers they do so in the opposing lane of traffic and off of the road instead of the middle of it. Says somthing for the mentality.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:37 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,138,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
You earned and paid for their bikes? Cyclists who also drive vehicles like me DO pay. Funny how you say bikes don't have a right to be on the road but vehicles do. Where in state or federal law does it say that? Sorry but this area continues to become more bicycle friendly by the day. If you don't like it then move.
Where does it say that they have the right. It does not anywhere.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:01 AM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
2007-2008 Bill 3006: Bicycle Road provisions - South Carolina Legislature Online

Quote:
A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway must be granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter, except as to special provisions in this article and except as to those provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application.
And, for the 2 people who read the SC driver's manuals:

http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/General.pdf

Quote:
As a driver, you have a responsibility to be on the lookout for
cyclists. Treat him courteously, since he does have the same rights and
responsibilities as automobile drivers to use the streets and highways.
Cyclists are part of the normal traffic flow and are entitled to share the
road with other drivers.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:34 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Of course bicyclists have the same rights to the road as people in vehicles, with very few exceptions (like interstate freeways). It's like this in every single state I know of.

From the South Carolina Code of Law:
Section 56-5-3420. A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway must be granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle by this chapter, except as to special provisions in this article and except as to those provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application.

S.C. Code of Laws Title 56 Chapter 5 Uniform Act Regulating Traffic On Highways - www.scstatehouse.gov-LPITS (http://www.scstatehouse.gov/CODE/t56c005.htm - broken link)

Old 02-10-2011, 06:45 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike1 View Post
Hi,
I'm an avid cyclist who's seriously considering relocating to Greenville.
I've heard there's a lot of anti-cycling sentiment in the area.
Are there any riders out there that can enlighten me?
While there are a lot of competitive bicyclists on the roads surrounding Greenville, I don't see Greenville as being particularly commuter bicycle-friendly. There is a hodgepodge of "bicycle routes" in the city, but they are very disjointed and often are nothing more than a graphic of a bike in the middle of the road. I'm not sure what that accomplishes for me as a bike commuter.

I understand that plans are being implemented to improve this, but currently it's hard to safely get around Greenville on a bike, in my opinion. You need to plan your routes very carefully, and your life may be at an unacceptably high risk in some places. There are a good number of ignorant motorists who think you actually don't even have a right to ride your bike on the road. And some of the "improvements" already made fall short of helping anything except allowing city leaders to point to a "bike route" on a map - even if that "bike route" is the same road that was there before, only now it has a picture of a bike in the middle of it.

But there are lots of avid competitive cyclists in the area. You'll definitely be able to easily find like-minded folk when/if you get here. Good luck.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:01 AM

503 posts, read 927,039 times
Quote:
I am yet to see one pull over and allow traffic to go by in these situations.
This is the key to the problem, I think. I wonder how they feel when driving down the road in their car on a four-lane and some yokel driving in the left lane won't let them pass? Or when truckers pull this stunt? Or even when they're on a two-lane trying to get somewhere on time and some yokel is going 35 in a 55 in a no pass zone? As long as they refuse to extend this courtesy to other drivers, they will p.i.s.s people off. If they want to be treated with respect, show respect. Don't act like some ass who thinks he owns the road, and can drive like he wants with a "to hell with everyone else" attitude. I know they want to keep their momentum going, but they need to subjugate the need for speed and a pack mentality to responsible riding.

I do disagree, though, that they don't have a right to be on the roads. Other taxes that everyone pays build and maintain the roads, not just registration fees. I personally am glad cyclists are on the road, and extend respect when I see them. Please do the same.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:06 AM

506 posts, read 1,222,808 times
I would say Greenville is very bicycle friendly for recreational purposes. For commuting purposes it really just depends on what roads you have to ride on. I would never ride a bicycle in rush hour traffic on Woodruff Road for instance.

But yes overall I find Greenville to be very bicycle friendly compared to anywhere else I've lived.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:22 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
While there are a lot of competitive bicyclists on the roads surrounding Greenville, I don't see Greenville as being particularly commuter bicycle-friendly. There is a hodgepodge of "bicycle routes" in the city, but they are very disjointed and often are nothing more than a graphic of a bike in the middle of the road. I'm not sure what that accomplishes for me as a bike commuter.

I understand that plans are being implemented to improve this, but currently it's hard to safely get around Greenville on a bike, in my opinion. You need to plan your routes very carefully, and your life may be at an unacceptably high risk in some places. There are a good number of ignorant motorists who think you actually don't even have a right to ride your bike on the road. And some of the "improvements" already made fall short of helping anything except allowing city leaders to point to a "bike route" on a map - even if that "bike route" is the same road that was there before, only now it has a picture of a bike in the middle of it.

But there are lots of avid competitive cyclists in the area. You'll definitely be able to easily find like-minded folk when/if you get here. Good luck.
The post above is not quite correct or factual. Obviously the poster above does not ride. Greenville does have miles of dedicated bike lanes, in addition to miles of greenway trails for bikes.

The "nothing more than a graphic in the road" referenced above are "sharrows" and they have been added in addition to the dedicated bike lanes. Sharrows are on roads too narrow for a dedicated lane. Here is what a sharrow is:

Shared lane marking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-10-2011, 08:03 AM

477 posts, read 841,203 times
I can only compare it to Germany and I have to say, that from my perspective, this area is not very inviting for biking and walking. It is kind of unfortunate because biking is a lot of fun but there is no way I would just go on a biking tour with the kids around here. You would probably have to find good spots and drive there with your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area