Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,815 times

Advertisements

I currently live in central florida. I hope to retire in the next
5/6 years. I hope to relocate a little farter north than fl..
I have been interested in the n. Augusta, s.c. And greenville, s.c.
Areas. Can you give me some tips on the advantages of the
greenville area for retirement living?
Thanks.
D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,353 times
I also live in central FL (St Pete area), and we have property in Travelers Rest, north of Greenville. Depending on what part of FL you come from, homeowners insurance and property taxes will be dramatically lower. Except for a few areas, traffic is very light. Greenville has a large, extensive hospital system, and they are undergoing even more expansion, which can be a key issue in your retirement years. Greenville is of course cooler than FL, and even a little cooler than Augusta. That's part of why we are moving- FL is just too hot for too much of the year. It's nice to live either near the beach or near the mountains, but insurance has gotten so expensive in coastal areas, it's a no-brainer for us. Greenville is close to the mountains- about 25 miles or so, and you can see them from various parts of town. The nice thing is that on a hot summer's day, you can head up into the mountains and be in much cooler weather in an hour. We hope to break ground in a year or so, and move to SC in about 2 years. Obviously, I like the Greenville area, but I always strongly suggest that people visit as many times as possible before making a commitment

Old 09-24-2008, 02:10 PM

5,893 posts, read 12,813,684 times
As Sonrise previously stated, there are TONS of former Floridians (or halfbacks) now in Greenville. My stepson is one of them, and I have personally met what seems like a multitude compared to the rest of the folks I've met since my own move (from Chicago). There has not been one I've met who moved here from Florida that regretted it. The cost of living is less here, and the weather is much better. We get four seasons, unlike Florida, but they are all quite bearable, and even summer, which can get hot and humid, is much easier to bear than having it hotter and more humid almost every day of the summer and well into the fall. The traffic too is a lot less congested than some parts of Florida. And the best part for many Floridians is -- no hurricanes in Greenville!

We're close enough that if you really missed Orlando, you could drive there in about 8 hours, and northern Florida would be even closer. Give Greenville some serious consideration. It's definitely worth it!

Old 09-24-2008, 06:18 PM

140 posts, read 359,065 times
Well, I guess you've got some more Floridians headed your way! My hubby and I are planning to come up in March to tour homes to buy. My father was born in Greenville and I lived there from 4 to 8 before we moved to Florida. I have lots of family still there and my hubby's family is in NC though he was born down here. I was born in Philadelphia so I guess I'm technically a halfback even though I left at age 4.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:58 PM

73 posts, read 236,331 times
I just moved from Orlando a few days ago. I like Greenville and am trying to get my fellow floridians to move here

Old 09-24-2008, 08:01 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtaylor81 View Post
...Can you give me some tips on the advantages of the
greenville area for retirement living?
Thanks.
D
  • Geographical Location - At the foot of the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains, with endless getaway choices closeby.
  • Quaint towns and villages with historic sites, shops, restaurants, galleries, theatres, and parks, surrounded by gorgeous natural scenery year-round.
  • Moderate Climate - Very little snow or ice (unlike the mountains), and relatively mild temperature in the summer (unlike the coast).
  • Connectivity - Immediate major interstate access, an international airport, passenger train service, and bus terminal.
  • Great Golf Courses - designers include some of the best names in the business!
  • Pristine Lakes - Although the current drought has affected the appearance of these lovely bodies of water, they remain high quality destinations for endless fun and romantic memories.
  • Affordability - very affordable and stabile real estate market compared with many metro areas in the nation.
  • Quality Healthcare - numerous fantastic facilities with highly rated service and many complimentary private clinics
  • Retirement Communities - including what has been recognized as the nation's best proposed active retirement community, now under construction at Verdae

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 09-26-2008 at 04:33 PM.. Reason: no real estate hot links

Old 09-25-2008, 07:16 PM

36 posts, read 94,404 times
I left Orlando in 1988. I still go back to visit a couple times a year. I like the fact that I can drive 20 minutes and be in the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area