Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:04 AM

477 posts, read 840,918 times

Advertisements

I'll just ask again. When is the Bloom store on W. Georgia Road (Simpsonville) gonna be converted into a Food Lion store? Like I said I only went there a few times but it seemed ok and they have restaurants and a CVS store right next to them. Too bad that they are leaving because my wife said Food Lion is not any better than Ingles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 10:22 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
All Bloom stores in South Carolina and North Carolina will be converted to Food Lion no later than the end of April. Likely, the conversion will occur sometime within the next six weeks.

The West Georgia Road store is a good location for convenience. The nearest competitors are Super Bi-Lo at highways 14 and 417 or Super Bi-Lo, Publix, and Ingle's in the Fairview Road area.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
I'll just ask again. When is the Bloom store on W. Georgia Road (Simpsonville) gonna be converted into a Food Lion store? Like I said I only went there a few times but it seemed ok and they have restaurants and a CVS store right next to them. Too bad that they are leaving because my wife said Food Lion is not any better than Ingles.
Let me tell you about Food Lion & Ingles. I'm in Kings Mountain, NC & we have an 80K sq ft Ingles & 2 Food Lions. They are night & day. Ingles is clean with good produce. They are making mincemeat out of the Food Lions.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 AM

Ingle's has been amping up its stores outside upstate South Carolina. All new stores are 100,000 square feet or larger. In fact, its proposed replacement store in Asheville on Smoky Mountain Highway is planned for 120,000 square feet, the size of a traditional Walmart.

It will be interesting to see what Ingle's Markets will do a week after its founder, Robert P. "Bob" Ingle, passed away.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Let me tell you about Food Lion & Ingles. I'm in Kings Mountain, NC & we have an 80K sq ft Ingles & 2 Food Lions. They are night & day. Ingles is clean with good produce. They are making mincemeat out of the Food Lions.
its funny you mention that, because I was just thinking that it really depends on the store itself with some locations, not necessarily the chain as a whole.

when I lived in Greenville I shopped more at Bilo because between the Ingles and Bilo near me, The bilo was a much nicer store with a better produce section and more selection overall, + it was a much newer store.
Now where I live in Easley, even though there is a bilo nearer to me, it seems to be more expensive, less selection, and smaller than the ingles which is just a few more blocks down the road, so I now shop at ingles when I need to grab something on my way home.
I think it just depends on where you live and how much money they have put into that location.
Funny that with stores like Publix I have never seen a store that is any different than another, they all seem equally clean, with a good selection of products, and very helpful employees. I wish more grocery store chains were the same across the board, meaning just as good at any store you visit in any location

Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
its funny you mention that, because I was just thinking that it really depends on the store itself with some locations, not necessarily the chain as a whole.

when I lived in Greenville I shopped more at Bilo because between the Ingles and Bilo near me, The bilo was a much nicer store with a better produce section and more selection overall, + it was a much newer store.
Now where I live in Easley, even though there is a bilo nearer to me, it seems to be more expensive, less selection, and smaller than the ingles which is just a few more blocks down the road, so I now shop at ingles when I need to grab something on my way home.
I think it just depends on where you live and how much money they have put into that location.
Funny that with stores like Publix I have never seen a store that is any different than another, they all seem equally clean, with a good selection of products, and very helpful employees. I wish more grocery store chains were the same across the board, meaning just as good at any store you visit in any location
I went to my Ingles last week, expecting maybe a picture of Bob Ingle draped in black at the entrance. Nothing. While I was in the store I realized that the music had stopped playing & there was an audio tribute to Bob Ingle being played.

It's beyond my comprehension why both Food Lions here are still open. I heard that the company is thinking of turning one into a Bottom Dollar. From what I've heard, Bottom Dollar is meant to compete with Aldi. However I asked on the Charlotte board & a poster in Mooresville said that they got one & they are absolutely scary. She said that she tried going there 2 times & will not go back.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 AM

I do not know how well the Bottom Dollar concept is working. If Bi-Lo's Food$mart stores were still operating, they would be competitors. Both were to be no frill stores focusing on quality products at low prices without the amenities. Of course, produce and meat departments would exist and require a higher level of quality and freshness.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I do not know how well the Bottom Dollar concept is working. If Bi-Lo's Food$mart stores were still operating, they would be competitors. Both were to be no frill stores focusing on quality products at low prices without the amenities. Of course, produce and meat departments would exist and require a higher level of quality and freshness.
Well. . . that's the only thing that I heard about Bottom Dollar. It doesn't sound promising.

The 2 Food Lions in Kings Mountain consist of a small former Harris Teeter, which is about the size of a WaWa, if you're familiar with them. The other Food Lion is about the size of a 1960s early supermarket format store. The larger one is the one that I've heard will become Bottom Dollar. At most times, roughly half of the cars at Ingles have SC plates. Those would be people coming from Blacksburg. Their options, closer to home, are Food Lion & Piggly Wiggly. I heard that Food Lion employees in Kings Mountain & Gastonia have been on reduced hours since the Ingles in Dallas (NC) opened. I'm not sure about Food Lion in Blacksburg, but I think that it's a safe bet that the same goes for them.

Old 03-16-2011, 12:42 PM

477 posts, read 840,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
All Bloom stores in South Carolina and North Carolina will be converted to Food Lion no later than the end of April. Likely, the conversion will occur sometime within the next six weeks.

The West Georgia Road store is a good location for convenience. The nearest competitors are Super Bi-Lo at highways 14 and 417 or Super Bi-Lo, Publix, and Ingle's in the Fairview Road area.
You are right. there is nothing els that is really close. You have to go all the way to Fairview Road. Too bad that they don't replace the Bloom store on W. Georgia with an Aldi store.

Old 03-16-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well. . . that's the only thing that I heard about Bottom Dollar. It doesn't sound promising.

The 2 Food Lions in Kings Mountain consist of a small former Harris Teeter, which is about the size of a WaWa, if you're familiar with them. The other Food Lion is about the size of a 1960s early supermarket format store. The larger one is the one that I've heard will become Bottom Dollar. At most times, roughly half of the cars at Ingles have SC plates. Those would be people coming from Blacksburg. Their options, closer to home, are Food Lion & Piggly Wiggly. I heard that Food Lion employees in Kings Mountain & Gastonia have been on reduced hours since the Ingles in Dallas (NC) opened. I'm not sure about Food Lion in Blacksburg, but I think that it's a safe bet that the same goes for them.
Piggly Wiggly closed its stores in the upstate. It does have a presence in Greenwood County and the Columbia area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area