Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 02:25 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
W All the great technology (hand scanners, u-check outs, wine / food kiosk, etc, etc) seemed to start breaking and didn't get fixed.
This was exactly my experience. I thought they were a little high priced, but loved the selection and the style of the store.

We bought maybe 3 items, just because it was on the way home and I'd wanted to try it out. The U-scan froze during checkout when we went to make a payment,so the cashier cleared the transaction and rebooted it. it then froze again during payment. The cashier told us it was fine and we should just go.
I asked for a receipt, and was told no its fine, you probably won't get charged for any of it.
I INSISTED on a receipt, and was told that it wasn't possible. A head cashier was called over, who said basically the same thing, and seemed annoyed about the whole situation.
20 minutes into my checkout(for 3 items) the original cashier made a comment that we were keeping her from her lunch break.(no lie)
Finally a manager came over after 25-30 minutes of the cashiers attempting to reboot the u-scan over and over and arguing with me about the receipt. He didn't speak to my wife or I, no apology, no questions, no explanation, re rang us out and finally was able to print a copy of our earlier receipts on a dot matrix printer in the back(seriously?) after everyone repeatedly argued with me that I didn't need one and telling me that it wasn't possible to print one, oh yeah and it was all ok because they would remember me if I came in again

After the at least 45 minute checkout, possibly an hour, it was a while ago so i'm being generous, I was indeed double charged on my card. I wrote a letter to the company and was contacted by phone, by the regional manager who was actually very cordial and apologetic. I had to go back and have them credit my card and they gave me a $10 gift card, which I'm sure would not have been given had I not complained. I still to this day have that gift card in my wallet unused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 02:28 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times
Good thing I never tried to use those u-scan things. I find them to be confusing myself...lol. I've only shopped at Bloom four to five times since they've been here mainly due to the fact there's none located in the Easley/Powdersville area where I live. It's also been at least six months since my last trip to one. Disappointing to here the quality has gone down but not suprising seeing how they are owned by Food Lion.

Oh and I can't believe you stood there at checkout for that long Noodles. I would have just left my items there and walked out of the store.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:37 PM

2,261 posts, read 5,841,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Oh and I can't believe you stood there at checkout for that long Noodles. I would have just left my items there and walked out of the store.
well i would have except I had no record that I had been there and I had swiped my card twice, I didn't want to get charged for groceries I didn't buy and not have a record of it!

Old 03-15-2011, 02:41 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
This was exactly my experience. I thought they were a little high priced, but loved the selection and the style of the store.

We bought maybe 3 items, just because it was on the way home and I'd wanted to try it out. The U-scan froze during checkout when we went to make a payment,so the cashier cleared the transaction and rebooted it. it then froze again during payment. The cashier told us it was fine and we should just go.
I asked for a receipt, and was told no its fine, you probably won't get charged for any of it.
I INSISTED on a receipt, and was told that it wasn't possible. A head cashier was called over, who said basically the same thing, and seemed annoyed about the whole situation.
20 minutes into my checkout(for 3 items) the original cashier made a comment that we were keeping her from her lunch break.(no lie)
Finally a manager came over after 25-30 minutes of the cashiers attempting to reboot the u-scan over and over and arguing with me about the receipt. He didn't speak to my wife or I, no apology, no questions, no explanation, re rang us out and finally was able to print a copy of our earlier receipts on a dot matrix printer in the back(seriously?) after everyone repeatedly argued with me that I didn't need one and telling me that it wasn't possible to print one, oh yeah and it was all ok because they would remember me if I came in again

After the at least 45 minute checkout, possibly an hour, it was a while ago so i'm being generous, I was indeed double charged on my card. I wrote a letter to the company and was contacted by phone, by the regional manager who was actually very cordial and apologetic. I had to go back and have them credit my card and they gave me a $10 gift card, which I'm sure would not have been given had I not complained. I still to this day have that gift card in my wallet unused.
Good thing you complained and got the card....HURRY and use it!!!!

I had a similar experience where I was using the handheld scanner that you take through the store. I filled about 4 bags of groceries (each item being scanned as it went in the bag while I shopped). Just prior to getting to the register to dock the scanner and pay,, the scanner made a funny noise and went blank. They could not retrieve the info. I then had to unload each bag, rescan at the checkout scanner and bag the items again. An extra 15 minutes of wasted time.

A pity....their overall idea/concept was good.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:40 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,441 times
When I first started going to Bloom, they had really good promotions and in-store discount coupons. It off-set the fact that their prices were a little higher than Bilo, etc. The staff was always very friendly and helpful. Once I got into coupons, I adored their once a month "triples." That ended. Then the stores were not consistent with their coupon doubling policy. The staff (not all) became less friendly. In the past couple of months, the sales have not been good or even that competitive with Bilo and Publix. I will miss their meat department. Even that is not as good as it was, though.
Not sure how Food Lion will do. I have never been impressed with Food Lion. I sure hope that the employees of Bloom will have jobs when they convert to Food Lion.

Last edited by Kimmie; 03-15-2011 at 08:41 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-16-2011, 08:09 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,239,632 times
Neither Food Lion nor Bloom has impacted the Greenville/Spartanburg market, specifically Anderson, Greenville, Oconee, Pickens, Spartanburg, and Union counties. (Food Lion was present in Cherokee, Greenwood and Laurens counties, and are excluded.) They entered quickly five years ago with several stores, then stopped opening new stores completely. Four of those stores, including the store closing in Mauldin, are well located where no other competition exists.

All stores lack amenities customers seek that Bi-Lo, Ingle's, and Publix offer. A popular forgotten amenity is pharmacy. Food Lion and Bloom are frequently located in shopping centers or free standing stores with no CVS, Rite Aid, and Walgreen's within miles and their own store fails to have a pharmacy department.

The Bloom in Mauldin that is closing will be the second store to close. The first to close was Food Lion in Clemson, just months after opening. Super Bi-Lo, Ingle's, and Walmart currently compete there, and Publix has eyed locations in Clemson and Seneca.

Who knows what could happen if Bi-Lo was sold to Delhaize America. A serious attempt was made in late 2009.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:26 AM

32 posts, read 72,696 times
I know this is going to sound stupid but where was the Bloom in Mauldin? I've lived here for the past 7 years and never knew one existed in Mauldin only out beside the Home Depot off Pleasantburg.

Old 03-16-2011, 08:28 AM

The Bloom in Mauldin is located currently on Holland Road at Bridges Road.

It is a decent location with a densing population. I think the store has not been noticeable enough to do business.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:03 AM
jac

389 posts, read 1,006,769 times
I understand that in this economy, Food Lion might do better. However, it seems the brand has some issues. I don't quite understand why the company doesn't introduce Hannaford stores here instead. Food Lion bought Hannaford Brothers out many years ago in an attempt to improve the Food Lion stores. Hannford's is a great store in the northeast. I think they would do well in this market. (One issue may be the size of the Bloom stores to begin with. They are much smaller than a typical Hannaford.)
jac

Old 03-16-2011, 09:15 AM

Food Lion's past strategy has been focusing on basic grocery staples at extra low prices. If it adapted to Hannaford's concepts, most of its stores would be larger now with amenities like pharmacies, self checkouts, gourmet foods, etc. Some ideas would not be implemented for nearly a decade until Bloom was conceived.

Hannaford's concepts were able to turn around Kash N' Karry in western central Florida to Sweetbay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area