Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 10:31 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

There is a lot of confusion going on with this project so here are the facts. While some of the space in the left/center portion of Piazza Bergamo will be taken away to make way for the new building, more public space will be added in front and back of the building that currently doesn't exist to even everything out. In fact, there might be even more public space in the end then there is now. Definitely won't be less:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 10:35 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
There is a lot of confusion going on with this project so here are the facts. While some of the space in the left/center portion of Piazza Bergamo will be taken away to make way for the new building, more public space will be added in front and back of the building that currently doesn't exist to even everything out. Basically, it's a land swap:
Exactly. The reason for the smart angle shape of the building.

The fact that Heidi Aiken and her lover/partner, whatever he is, are misrepresenting this and stirring the pot is pathetic. Seems her MO to stir the pot, with misrepresentation and not facts, any time anything is proposed.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:37 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Can we get some FACTS posted on Piazza Bergamo? Please? They aren't giving away Piazza Bergamo. Piazza Bergamo will actually grow in size! The shape simply changes and the point of one building moves into the Piazza a few feet.

The city is spending a great deal of money to re-landscape Piazza Bergamo. Some of you may want to check the cities budget and the plans before complaining.

I guess the good news, is that the complainers will not be using the finished Piazza Bergamo area, leaving more room for the rest of us to enjoy it. LOL.
My apologies,. there will still be as much public land and more, as the city is participating in some sort of land swap. Boy you know it would be nice if the news reported the WHOLE story

Old 06-16-2011, 10:39 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
Boy you know it would be nice if the news reported the WHOLE story
I totally agree! WYFF gave Heidi and her crew air time to complain, but no facts to back up their assertions. Unfortunately, her group has a history of either misrepresenting the facts or leaving key facts out all together.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:50 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I think they bring up good points. That development is too big and too ugly for right on that part of Main. It certainly doesn't help the "European feel" that people talk about in that part of Main Street. It kind of destroys that feel in my opinion. And people wanted a bigger building? I think that's dumb. A big, modern, 70's-style slab of concrete, metal and glass is not very welcoming, or pedestrian-friendly. This is Main Street, mid-America - not Wall Street, New York.

I think it's a mistake.
A tower doesn't mess anything up if done correctly. And, NOBODY knows how this will end up until it's built. So, those are quite strong assertions you're making about a development that doesn't exist yet. Riverplace, on the Reedy side, is 8 stories for most of the buildings (office building, Hampton Inn, and Terrace). This building will be one story taller. I've never felt lost, out of place, or unimportant along the River. The Poinsett Hotel is several stories taller and up to the sidewalk, yet the canopy brings you into scale and supports the pedestrian. There's ways to do it, and no one can really say yet how this one will turn out.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:16 PM

1,143 posts, read 2,872,764 times
I'm just happy the Piazza B will remain. It is a lovely little piece of green space that we've enjoyed for various events. I understand the apprehension about changing that which is already beautiful and enjoyable. I think all of the attention is good because it will keep developers mindful of the fact that no one seems to want a conversion to a New York style cityscape.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:24 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,467,794 times
I am amazed at the uproar by some over Piazza Bergamo. It is a key space that should not be ruined - and with this project, it won't be. In fact, it will be much better after the city pours millions of dollars into it.

What's amusing though are the people who act like Piazza Bergamo has always been this amazing place. All I remember it being is a bland open space located between one rundown building, another uninspiring building, and a weird two story building that you could walk under. It had a small amount of grass, and the rest was bricks with some random tables on it. Yes, people gathered there on weekends. Yes, there were often music performances. It had a load of potential, but that potential was unrealized. This development will help it realize its full potential.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:10 PM

306 posts, read 689,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
It had a load of potential, but that potential was unrealized. This development will help it realize its full potential.
I totally agree about the unrealized potential!!! And believe the new building will do the city justice.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:57 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I am amazed at the uproar by some over Piazza Bergamo. It is a key space that should not be ruined - and with this project, it won't be. In fact, it will be much better after the city pours millions of dollars into it.

What's amusing though are the people who act like Piazza Bergamo has always been this amazing place. All I remember it being is a bland open space located between one rundown building, another uninspiring building, and a weird two story building that you could walk under. It had a small amount of grass, and the rest was bricks with some random tables on it. Yes, people gathered there on weekends. Yes, there were often music performances. It had a load of potential, but that potential was unrealized. This development will help it realize its full potential.
No worries...just like with the Camperdown bridge, old Riverplace buildings, etc. complainers this guy will go away and the project will still get built. And you're right that Piazza Bergamo never realized its full potential. The only thing it's used for now is dog pooping and a few drunks on Saturday night. This project will change that.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:12 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
No worries...just like with the Camperdown bridge, old Riverplace buildings, etc. complainers this guy will go away and the project will still get built. And you're right that Piazza Bergamo never realized its full potential. The only thing it's used for now is dog pooping and a few drunks on Saturday night. This project will change that.
You're wrong about the plaza's current/recent usage. I agree that it has rarely seen maximum utilization and that will undoubtedly improve with renovation alongside the One project, but you are taking Mr. Conway's concerns out of context by comparing him to Billy Mitchell or those who opposed Falls Park. He is excited about the new development, but wants reassurance that the public plaza will indeed live up to its full potential. He is justified because the City has not denied the accuracy of his claim, nor have they (as of this morning) produced an adequate response to clear up the controversy. If other space will be added as compensation for the encroachment, then it should be easy to convince those who doubt the anticipated effectiveness of the proposed changes. Such significant changes should be scrutinized by residents in the immediate neighborhood, just as they are in most neighborhoods around town. I am confident that everything will ultimately turn out for the better in this particular case, unlike the Mitchell/RiverPlace incident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area