Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2008, 11:27 AM

19 posts, read 41,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I don't believe in "addiction gene's" anymore than I believe that a non smoker can have allergic reactions to someone who has been smoking recently. What I do believe(and I think i'm not alone on this) is that the government should not be able to regulate what privately owned businesses do, why shouldn't they have the choice to be smoking or non? If the majority of the people who are patrons at your establishment smoke, then thats your choice, If a non smoker doesn't like it they can find another place that is more to their liking. "How could any intelligent person still smoke?" If we regulated everything stupid people do(not saying smokers are stupid, I myself am an occasional smoker) we would be one messed up nation. If i go to a bar and it is too smoky, I leave, simple as that, but I don't whine about how I can't breathe or that my eyes hurt(even though they usually do), that bar has alot of people that are apparently enjoying themselves, that don't have to be there if they don't fee like it, so apparently they are ok with it if people are smoking, and I have no problem with that, its called freedom.I have the freedom to leave and they have the freedom to "destroy their lungs" "kill themselves" "enjoy their nasty habit" or whatever you feel like calling it. I don't care if the city wants to ban smoking in public places, but they should let PRIVATE business owners decide for themselves what they would like to do with THEIR OWN establishments
I guess you have the right not to believe in the smoking gene. You must not believe that the earth is round either. Yeah, these scientists sure do make this stuff up for no reason. Like you said it is your freedom. Just like smokers have the freedom to not go to an establishment that is smoke free. It works both ways. YOU are right there are a lot of STUPID people, and I think the world would actually be a better place if we could regulate them.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:14 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,852,058 times
regulating stupid people is as bad as regulating smoking. you can't be for one thing and against another!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:15 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
QUOTE FROM JANRAY:As far as bars go, I'd be willing to let bars (and they would have to be bars only no food served and not in a hotel and have a vestibule area to prevent smoke from filtering out to the street) to allow smoking, however, if they had entertainment other than tv sets that no smoking would be allowed.
I'm Glad you are not in Charge But as Jammie the moderator said maybe the Obese are next,and in that world maybe they would only be allowed out in bars that had no entertainment except for tv,Oh and NO WINDOWS!
After that ONLY THE WELL DRESSED will be allowed to roam our streets, Then we will expel the UGLY!
WE WILL HAVE A BEAUTIFUL WORLD, OF ONLY MODELS!!!
BETTER BE CAREFUL OF WHAT YOU WANT!!![/quote]

If you want it that way then I'm all for banning it everywhere. I was willing at least to allow it in a place most can avoid but if you want to eat out or to go to a concert but don't smoke why should you have to suffer either by not going or by putting up with someone else's habit and risking your health. Obesity, while on an airplane might affect me (and the airlines cover that), others obesity doesn't affect my health. You can't say that about smoking. There are laws governing alcohol and there should be laws governing smoking. Both affect others. While one can have a glass (or two if not driving) of wine/beer, whatever without affecting someone else one cannot smoke in a restaurant or other public place without affecting someone else.

Smoking is a bad habit that even affects your pets as a recent report I read about pets and lung cancer. Last I knew, dogs didn't smoke. I think that one can go a hour or two without a cigarette but if not, there are patches out there to help you.

Lastly, perhaps these laws and an increase in tax in this state will prevent someone from starting smoking. It's a bad, disgusting habit.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:23 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Bravo, janrey! Very well said and I agree. If anyone wants to know why others have a problem with secondhand smoke, I urge them to visit a Body Worlds exhibition sometime. They display the real lungs of a smoker next to a normal person's real lungs and it really is enough to scare someone into better health consciousness.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:02 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Bravo, janrey! Very well said and I agree. If anyone wants to know why others have a problem with secondhand smoke, I urge them to visit a [URL="http://www.bodyworlds.com/en.html"]Body Worlds[/URL] exhibition sometime. They display the real lungs of a smoker next to a normal person's real lungs and it really is enough to scare someone into better health consciousness.
It depends. I mean, if that warning on a pack of cigarettes doesn't stop people, I doubt if seeing the exhibition will do it. My neighbor found out he had cancer over 4 years ago, went through chemo & radiation, and he still smokes 2 or 3 packs a day. In fact, I've never seen him without a cigarette. Maybe he puts it out when he's on oxygen, but I make sure my smoke alarm always has a good battery just in case.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:18 PM

Obviously it will not work for everyone, but those who are on the fence about this issue (as I was in the past) would certainly be better off knowing and seeing the facts displayed in front of their eyes.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:20 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,645 times
I believe in FREE ENTERPRISE, if enough people are bothered by smoke,they will not go to an establishment that allows smoking and that business will either adapt or close! On the other hand if enough people want a cigarbar then one will prosper! There is a little meat and three down by the library that I won't go to because I don't like to smell of smoke. But that is their choice, and they seem to have enough client that do not mind!
I am allergic to the smell of cheap perfume, and when I am out at an event and the haze of eau De Stink waifs from the house Frau in front of me,I simply move.
I would be quite happy if that toxic stuff was banned,but others enjoy smelling like they have gotten sick in a rose bush so that is their right! Same with smoking!

Old 04-13-2008, 05:25 PM

Hmmm... so "free enterprise" must mean a non-smoker would not be able to go to a certain restaurant because someone is smoking in the "designated smoking area" and it is drifting throughout the rest of the place. Sounds more like a limited enterprise based on personal preference.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:34 PM

603 posts, read 2,340,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoodlesKnowles View Post
I don't believe in "addiction gene's" anymore than I believe that a non smoker can have allergic reactions to someone who has been smoking recently. What I do believe(and I think i'm not alone on this) is that the government should not be able to regulate what privately owned businesses do, why shouldn't they have the choice to be smoking or non? If the majority of the people who are patrons at your establishment smoke, then thats your choice, If a non smoker doesn't like it they can find another place that is more to their liking. "How could any intelligent person still smoke?" If we regulated everything stupid people do(not saying smokers are stupid, I myself am an occasional smoker) we would be one messed up nation. If i go to a bar and it is too smoky, I leave, simple as that, but I don't whine about how I can't breathe or that my eyes hurt(even though they usually do), that bar has alot of people that are apparently enjoying themselves, that don't have to be there if they don't fee like it, so apparently they are ok with it if people are smoking, and I have no problem with that, its called freedom.I have the freedom to leave and they have the freedom to "destroy their lungs" "kill themselves" "enjoy their nasty habit" or whatever you feel like calling it. I don't care if the city wants to ban smoking in public places, but they should let PRIVATE business owners decide for themselves what they would like to do with THEIR OWN establishments
You don't believe people have allergic reactions to cigarette smoke? Well, you haven't met me and you haven't lived my life. If you had been in Italian Market April 4 you would have seen that it can happen. Or were you one of the guys arguing with my brother that you had the right to smoke? I don't care if people smoke or not. They'll die the horrible way my step-mom did, and I don't wish that on anyone. However, I would like to not die of a severe asthma attack or cancer. That's my right.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:23 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
I believe in FREE ENTERPRISE, if enough people are bothered by smoke,they will not go to an establishment that allows smoking and that business will either adapt or close! On the other hand if enough people want a cigarbar then one will prosper! There is a little meat and three down by the library that I won't go to because I don't like to smell of smoke. But that is their choice, and they seem to have enough client that do not mind!
I am allergic to the smell of cheap perfume, and when I am out at an event and the haze of eau De Stink waifs from the house Frau in front of me,I simply move.
I would be quite happy if that toxic stuff was banned,but others enjoy smelling like they have gotten sick in a rose bush so that is their right! Same with smoking!
Actually, it's not their right. There is no where written that is is anyone's right to cause a nuisance. In fact, there is regulations that prevent many nuisances such as barking dogs, loud noises, messy yards. As far as smoking goes, it's becoming the way of the world. Ireland, England, France all have recently banned it. Many states in the US already have. Soon that will be the way it is and smoking will "die" out.

I should also add there is in reality no such thing as "free" enterprise. Every business is governed by laws and regulations when they serve the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area