Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:01 AM

8 posts, read 30,895 times

Advertisements

Currently living in Dallas but considering Greenville for quality of life reasons. We have two small kids ready to start school, would prefer to live in a close-in established walkable neighborhood. How are city schools? Cultural amenities? Bike trails? Any light rail/street car plans? (not including the existing trolley) What is the local level of tolerance to different world views? Last, how bad was the gas shortage in the area when the hurricane hit the gulf ports a few years back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 08:43 AM

609 posts, read 1,620,166 times
existing Trolley? We have no light rails / street cars / trollies here YET.

City Schools are decent. Surrounding city schools are better. Our metro/county is compromised of a couple of moderately populated cities.

Cultural amenities.... hmmm... depends on what culture and how upscale these amenities n eed to be.

Gas here was best avg price in nation. I believe we still have best pirces.

World views....hmmm.. depends who you ask. It's known for being cliquish here. Just surround yourself with like-minded people.

Lots of nice neighborhoods here.

Last edited by sojones; 07-29-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevemon View Post
Currently living in Dallas but considering Greenville for quality of life reasons. We have two small kids ready to start school, would prefer to live in a close-in established walkable neighborhood. How are city schools? Cultural amenities? Bike trails? Any light rail/street car plans? (not including the existing trolley) What is the local level of tolerance to different world views? Last, how bad was the gas shortage in the area when the hurricane hit the gulf ports a few years back?
1) City schools are pretty good.
2) For cultural amenities there is the Peace Center, a children's museum and a bike trail (swamp rabbit trail) that is said to be expanding.
3) There is no light rail only a limited bus service (Greenlink).
4) The level of tolerance for others views and opinions is not very good in Greenville. Quite often when someone expresses an opinion about the area that does not make Greenville look good they are attacked. Especially if that opinion is coming from the mouth of someone who moved there from another state. Also a very conservative place.
5) Regarding the gas shortage a few years ago. I remember stopping for gas on my way to work one morning and many of the gas stations had no gas. There were definitely several gas stations that had no gas.

Good luck...

Old 07-29-2011, 09:39 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
I make it to Dallas every couple of weeks on business. Love the city.

For comparison:
1. In Greenville you will find more true four season weather vs. Dallas extreme summer heat and extreme ice storms that shut down all the flyovers on 635 for days.
2. Greenville city and county are one school district and rank the best in SC (though SC schools are generally poorly ranked). Several Greenville area schools are ranked nationally. Several private schools in the area as well.
3. Numerous cultural amenities. For a metro its size, the arts are focused on much more so than larger cities. Peace Center. West Pendleton Arts District. Arts Crossing at Riverwalk. Artisphere (which has become a top 20 art event in the nation). Artisphere
4. Numerous bike lanes and they are expanding. The Swamp Rabbit Trail and side trails (greenway). 17 plus miles and expanding. Greenville is also home to the US Pro Cycling Championship where the stars and bars jersey is awarded. After 20 years in Philly it moved here. George Hincapie lives in Greenville. Solid cycling scene.
5. No light rail at all, but then, who seriously uses DART in Dallas? Plans for rapid bus transit (busways).
6. As a gay man, I can say tolerance is the best I've found in the Southeast. My neighbors and friends are straight, gay, lesbian, white, Asian, black, all religions and non religious. My partner and I have have felt extremely comfortable here. It isn't Oaklawn / Cedar Springs, but very tolerant. Greenville is a very polite city.
7. Like much of the Southeast, gas prices spiked, but there wasn't a shortage.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:28 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Currently living in Dallas but considering Greenville for quality of life reasons.
I am familiar with Dallas and understand your desire to leave.

Quote:
We have two small kids ready to start school, would prefer to live in a close-in established walkable neighborhood. How are city schools? Cultural amenities? Bike trails? Any light rail/street car plans? (not including the existing trolley)
Close-in to Greenville kind of limits you to the Augusta Rd area and the North Main areas. They are pricier than surrounding area (think Park Cities lite, but without the awesome schools). The people I know in the Augusta Rd. area send their kids to private schools. Here in N. Main it's split between private and public, mainly depending on what people can afford. Those who can afford it, go private. The good news is that housing is way cheaper here than Dallas.

Cultural amenities are limited when compared to Dallas. There's a really lame museum, but a nice orchestra and free outdoor concerts in the summer. Most major acts skip this area for Raleigh, Atlanta, or Asheville. The bike trails are limited, but improving. It seems to be a priority, but will take more time. The "trolley" is a bus that looks like a trolley. There's not enough population, or population density to warrant any type of rail system. Once you get outside of Greenville, it's just pretty much random sprawl with a few scattered downtowns.

Quote:
What is the local level of tolerance to different world views? Last, how bad was the gas shortage in the area when the hurricane hit the gulf ports a few years back?
Tolerance of world views? Better than other places in the South, I guess. But that's not saying a lot. Coming from a big metropolitan city, you might think overall the "tolerance" isn't that great.

There was no shortage of gas, just higher prices.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:38 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I am familiar with Dallas and understand your desire to leave.

Close-in to Greenville kind of limits you to the Augusta Rd area and the North Main areas. They are pricier than surrounding area (think Park Cities lite, but without the awesome schools). The people I know in the Augusta Rd. area send their kids to private schools. Here in N. Main it's split between private and public, mainly depending on what people can afford. Those who can afford it, go private. The good news is that housing is way cheaper here than Dallas.

Cultural amenities are limited when compared to Dallas. There's a really lame museum, but a nice orchestra and free outdoor concerts in the summer. Most major acts skip this area for Raleigh, Atlanta, or Asheville. The bike trails are limited, but improving. It seems to be a priority, but will take more time. The "trolley" is a bus that looks like a trolley. There's not enough population, or population density to warrant any type of rail system. Once you get outside of Greenville, it's just pretty much random sprawl with a few scattered downtowns.

Tolerance of world views? Better than other places in the South, I guess. But that's not saying a lot. Coming from a big metropolitan city, you might think overall the "tolerance" isn't that great.

There was no shortage of gas, just higher prices.

I can see Raleigh and Atlanta getting bigger acts, but Asheville I might have to challenge you on.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:54 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
I can see Raleigh and Atlanta getting bigger acts, but Asheville I might have to challenge you on.
Well, the acts I want to see at least, all go to Asheville,not here. I've seen way more shows at the Orange Peel and the Civic Center than I've seen here. In fact, I've only gone to two shows here, probably ten in Asheville.

David Byrne, Ray Lamontagne, Avett Brothers, Gillian Welch, Fleet Foxes, Mumford and Sons, Adele, Abigail Washburn, Amos Lee, Bon Iver, etc. - all go to Asheville, not here.

Brandi Carlille played the Handlebar, but we missed it.

There are a TON more shows in Asheville.

Old 07-29-2011, 03:38 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Quote:
Well, the acts I want to see at least, all go to Asheville,not here. I've seen way more shows at the Orange Peel and the Civic Center than I've seen here. In fact, I've only gone to two shows here, probably ten in Asheville.

David Byrne, Ray Lamontagne, Avett Brothers, Gillian Welch, Fleet Foxes, Mumford and Sons, Adele, Abigail Washburn, Amos Lee, Bon Iver, etc. - all go to Asheville, not here.

I recall The Avert Brothers and Amos Lee performing at the Peace Center, and Gillian Welch will be there in August. (The Peace Center - Current Shows, Performances & Events ? Greenville SC)

Of course, you conveniently left off several other great performers who have also stopped in Greenville.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:14 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:

There are a TON more shows in Asheville.
Never heard of them. Big acts to me are names that everyone has heard. Smokey Robinson, Prince, Gladys Knight, even acts like Justin Bieber are what I consider big. All have recently been to Greenville. I have family in Asheville that come here for nightlife and shopping all the time. I guess it's just preference.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:05 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,166 times
Actually they are right.

Asheville has way more major / grammy nominated acts perform.. Young and old.

The Orange Peel has touring artists come in of all genres...every other day. It amazes me how much more entertainment value that city has over Greenville.

I discovered this because I had to work with an artist up there a year ago and started reviewing the city's activity a smidget.

The Bi-Lo center pulls in some huge acts once in a blue that are awesome / major names but when talking numbers, Asheville wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area