Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 02:30 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
I don't understand why some posters here feel the need to discredit any positive press for Greenville. Has it ever crossed their minds that Greenville might actually be a great place to live, in the opinion of a substantial number of people? Why is the assumption that it only ranked highly due to a ranking being purchased or people spamming an online poll?!? Pathetic.
In their mind, the poll is accurate it if shows negative press for Greenvile but is not accurate if it shows positive press. Interesting isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 04:02 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
I don't understand why some posters here feel the need to discredit any positive press for Greenville. Has it ever crossed their minds that Greenville might actually be a great place to live, in the opinion of a substantial number of people? Why is the assumption that it only ranked highly due to a ranking being purchased or people spamming an online poll?!? Pathetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
In their mind, the poll is accurate it if shows negative press for Greenvile but is not accurate if it shows positive press. Interesting isn't it?
"Press" is something produced by a news organization, with reporters and such.

This was an online poll, which is a testament to social networking skill as much as it is anything else.

Yes, Greenville is a great place to live for a lot of people. They voted with their hearts, I'm sure. It's not on my top ten list.

I don't understand why some posters feel the need to discuss other posters rather than the matter at hand: how the list was generated, the list itself, other cities on the list, etc...

Old 08-03-2011, 04:44 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Just as pathetic is why a number of Greenville posters find it necessary to bash other cities on a routine basis. Or, why a number of posters here find it necessary to claim that Greenville is superior to all other places. It is great to have city pride, and Greenville gets an A for that but, it is also good to be realistic. For instance, just because a retailer comes to an area first does not mean it is a superior real estate market. Southpark is just getting Whole Foods that Greenville has had for years. On any level, Southpark is better than any retail corridor in Greenville. So, it goes both ways. If you go to other cities with an opinion that we are a better foodie city, we have the best downtown, everyone wants to be like us etc....it is not surprising that many will find fault with Greenville. Besides, almost all magazine rankings are junk and are just there to sell copies.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:49 PM

915 posts, read 2,423,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
So it turns out this top ten ranking is generated off of an online poll.

How many regular posters here voted? How often?

Are you voting in the current poll?
It's not an online poll, but they accept nominations for the top 100.

Through the nomination process, you don't just click on your city, and that's it. You select your top 10 cities, and then you identify which one you nominate for the #1 spot. You are then required to type why you believe that city deserves the recognition.

Hardly an online "poll".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
And there is no surprise that a real estate agent who makes their money selling homes would be the one to post it on here.
I love how you always point out that I'm a Realtor. As if that matters in any way. I like Greenville, you clearly don't. The big difference is that I still live here, and therefore have a reason to continue posting on the Greenville boards. It's funny because 21 out of your last 30 posts have been about Greenville, and you don't even live here anymore.

I have lived very close to NYC before, and my sister currently lives in Brooklyn. I can easily list 100 reasons why I would never even consider living near there again, but you certainly don't see me posting on their threads.

Last edited by ckeegan; 08-03-2011 at 09:14 PM..

Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
It's not an online poll, but they accept nominations for the top 100.

Through the nomination process, you don't just click on your city, and that's it. You select your top 10 cities, and then you identify which one you nominate for the #1 spot. You are then required to type why you believe that city deserves the recognition.

Hardly an online "poll".
Are ther opportunities to vote more than once? Are there methods to prevent computer voting?

While this may be good press for the town, even if this is not a poll by traditional definitions, it seems to be more of a get out the vote campaign than a reflection of reality.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
Are ther opportunities to vote more than once? Are there methods to prevent computer voting?

While this may be good press for the town, even if this is not a poll by traditional definitions, it seems to be more of a get out the vote campaign than a reflection of reality.
Actually don't know, but it certainly wouldn't be easy for computer voting to occur. They are currently using the same basic form for their "Top Places for Recreation".

Scroll to the bottom:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I personally don't see how a ranking of Best Places to Live wouldn't be compiled based on some form of user opinion. What hard data could possibly translate into a great place to live, other than the opinions of current residents? Some people are just too cynical to have common sense.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 07:00 AM..

Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeegan View Post
Actually don't know, but it certainly wouldn't be easy for computer voting to occur. They are currently using the same basic form for their "Top Places for Recreation".

Scroll to the bottom:Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I personally don't see how a ranking of Best Places to Live wouldn't be compiled based on some form of user opinion. What hard data could possibly translate into a great place to live, other than the opinions of current residents? Some people are just too cynical to have common sense.
If you are just going by user opinion, then it becomes a matter of who cares the most to stuff the ballot box. But, you bring up a good point, what data could be used that would translate into a great place to live. This is exactly why I think the magazine, educational included, "lists" are junk. Some cities flood the magazines/newspapers with write ups in hopes of getting coverage for the hometown. While the lists provide great exposure depending on who actually reads some of the stuff, I think the sheer number of lists has diluted the meaning. It seems there is a list for everything, best lines on a road, best trees at intersections, best Wal Marts, etc...

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 06:59 AM..

Old 08-04-2011, 04:45 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,250,015 times
No realtor is allowed to promote his/her own business in a City/State forum. It makes no difference how the content is couched. There is a professional Real Estate Forum on C-D Forums for owners and agents where they are alllowed to promote their business All registered Realtors at C-D forums have a house icon next to their name

C-D Forum does not promote its competition.

Therefore both links have been removed.

Last edited by linicx; 08-04-2011 at 05:00 AM..

Old 08-04-2011, 05:50 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,856,042 times
News article from WYFF:

Greenville Makes Another Top 10 List - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

From the news article:

2011 Top Ten Places To Live

1. Austin, Texas
2. Grand Rapids, Mich.
3. Boulder, Colo.
4. Raleigh, N.C.
5. Dallas, Texas
6. Greenville, S.C.
7. Augusta, Ga.
8. Boise, Ind.
9. Omaha, Neb.
10. Oklahoma City, Okla.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
No realtor is allowed to promote his/her own business in a City/State forum. It makes no difference how the content is couched. There is a professional Real Estate Forum on C-D Forums for owners and agents where they are alllowed to promote their business All registered Realtors at C-D forums have a house icon next to their name

C-D Forum does not promote its competition.

Therefore both links have been removed.
I'm speechless. I truly believe that every single person reading this thread deserves an explanation. Why in the world would the source link, ranking Greenville as the 6th Best Place to Live be deleted? I mean, I'm not even able to mention their name, since it will just get censored again.

I am 100% serious. I want to know why this content was deleted. In no way, shape, or form could that site be construed as a competitor. They don't have forums, and they have been releasing the Top Places to Live for almost twice as long as City-Data has been in existence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area