Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:39 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
1. The only time I've heard crime being mentioned is when others bring it up on forums. I've lived in the area 11 years, and haven't had a car break-in or anything. Sure, you see things in the news, but it's mainly domestic violence or situations where people already knew each other (crimes of passion, etc). Ramdom crime/violence is rare here in my experience.

2. The west side of Greenville tends to be more "ethnic" if you must label such things, and lower income. I suppose crime is higher there, as it always tends to be in such areas nationally. I've only been in that part of town for specific things, such as visiting the Pendleton Street Arts District, etc. It's not usually an issue in day-to-day life here.

3. Spartanburg, Anderson, etc are smaller and tend to be a bit more "Southern" in feel, but both have things to recommend them as well. Even though the government has broken the area up statistically, I view the entire Upstate region as a single large metro area.

4. People speak freely here of their religious views, both those who are religious and those who aren't. There are elements of the local community that call attention to themselves, but not nearly so much as in other parts of the South that I've lived in.

5. This area is very mixed in my experience as far as political views go. Remember, there are LOTS of folks here now who weren't born in the area. The area is very much pro-business, if that tells you anything. We enjoy a relatively healthy economic climate here.

6. Diversity - yes. Tension/hostility - not since I've lived here. I've worked with and made friends with people of African, Asian and South American heritage here - we always focus our conversations and interactions on the things we all share in common. All those friends are happy, well-adjusted people. The suburban neighborhood I live in is also very (peacefully) diverse as well.

7. Heat/humidity in summer can be pretty intense, as in anywhere in the South, but here it's much more sporadic and not as consistent as say in Birmingham or Memphis. The humidity is usually pretty low, unless the airmass changes and prevailing winds bring air up from the Gulf. As hot as it got here this summer, I felt sorry for my friends in Dallas & San Antonio all summer long this year!!

Hope that gives you a better idea. Greenville is very much a growing, progressive place with influences from the many people who have moved here from other states and other countries.
I'd say this is a pretty fair appraisal.

You aren't going to ever find the perfect place. One big advantage is the relative cost of living here. If you look at Asheville, you'll be paying more, the climate is probably more like southern New England. However if it get's too hot for you here (which is really not that bad compared to the southern part of the state or southern GA or FL), Asheville isn't that far away, just take a quick road trip up there and cool off for the afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 01:02 PM

6 posts, read 10,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
It's the south - there is racism here if you look for it. I think most folks are moving beyond that but it still exists.

As far as gangs and crime - I have never seen any evidence of gang activity in the Greenville area. I know when we lived in CA for a couple of years there were signs of it everywhere even in smaller towns and cities. The specific areas you mention are for the most part really safe.

Your desire for nice, peaceful, and laid back suits this area pretty well in my personal opinion. I'd suggest a visit to the area for a week or so to get a better feel for it. Ocotber is a pretty month in this area with the leaves changing on the trees. The weather then is also usually pleasantly cool with a lot of sunny days.

thank you for you VolstuckinNC!

Because its the South is my concern! lol but I always hear of that Southern Hospitality and good Christian people. California has gotten pretty bad. We currently live in a small town (about 60,000 people). I like that everything is close by and there isnt much traffic. I like quite and a sense of community with others. My husband is adament on raising our son/future children on the East Coast. He does not like the "California State of Mind". We have "gangs" here too, but its pretty much contained to one side of town. And as for the seasons you all experience, that is one of the things I long to experience! I love the changing leaves and greenery. If you can offer any more advice or certain areas in Taylors or Easley we should stay away from, please let me know. My husband, like i said hasnt been there since 2008. alot can change in 4 years! for the better i hope

Old 08-10-2012, 06:30 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
I don't know that there are really any significant parts of either Easley or Taylors to stay away from. There is maybe a 10 block area in NW Easley that is a little rough but even that isn't really bad.

If you have kids and are looking for good schools, there is going to be some difference among different parts of both areas.

Taylors is in Greenville County and Greenville County is in one large school district. The schools in Greenville County vary from not so good to excellent. Taylors has some of the best schools in Greenville, particularly the area that is zoned for Riverside Middle and High Schools.

Easley itself is in Pickens County. The schools there tend to be average to good. I have an Easley address but actually live in Northern Anderson County in an area most locals call Powdersville. Anderson County is broken up into several school districts and the one around Powdersville is Anderson District One. Anderson District One schools tend to be very good to excellent.

Both Taylors and Powdersville were going to be about the same distance from work for us when we moved here. We picked Powdersville because it is just a bit more rural and also just a tad closer to the mountains. I also like that all of the schools in Anderson District One are good so we have no concern for being re-zoned into a "bad" school. There is enough shopping in Easley to satisfy us most of the time and we are under 30 minutes to downtown Greenville and the mall.

Taylors is more suburban and closer to the mall and more shopping. Downtown will also be a bit closer to most of the Taylors area. While the schools are good there I always have a worry in a large school district that my house could get re-zoned into a "bad" school. I have friends in the Mauldin/Simpsonville are that were re-zoned from a good high school to a less desirable one. I don't think it is as big of a concern in Taylors but you never know....

There are racist folks here as there are everywhere. I am reminded of this every time I take US 25 North out of Greenville and pass the large "Southern Heritage" store with the million rebel flags out front. I am sure the owners would claim they celebrate the heritage of the south - not hate but I still wouldn't believe them....

I know as a kid we moved to NJ for a few years and I saw a lot of ethnic animosity up there. I was shocked because I hadn't expected to see racism outside of the south yet there it was. I also remember being stationed in Korea for a year while in the Army. I knew Korean and had several incidents on the subway where someone would look at me and rant in Korean about the "American Bastard" thinking I was oblivious. I usually let them finish and then politely told them in Korean that not all Americans were bastards - got some shocked responses for sure!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:03 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
I didn't read the whole thread so I thought I would mention that you'll find Trader Joe's and Apple in Greenville. I'm not sure about Costco, Whole Foods or Fresh Market.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
I don't know that there are really any significant parts of either Easley or Taylors to stay away from. There is maybe a 10 block area in NW Easley that is a little rough but even that isn't really bad.

If you have kids and are looking for good schools, there is going to be some difference among different parts of both areas.

Taylors is in Greenville County and Greenville County is in one large school district. The schools in Greenville County vary from not so good to excellent. Taylors has some of the best schools in Greenville, particularly the area that is zoned for Riverside Middle and High Schools.

Easley itself is in Pickens County. The schools there tend to be average to good. I have an Easley address but actually live in Northern Anderson County in an area most locals call Powdersville. Anderson County is broken up into several school districts and the one around Powdersville is Anderson District One. Anderson District One schools tend to be very good to excellent.

Both Taylors and Powdersville were going to be about the same distance from work for us when we moved here. We picked Powdersville because it is just a bit more rural and also just a tad closer to the mountains. I also like that all of the schools in Anderson District One are good so we have no concern for being re-zoned into a "bad" school. There is enough shopping in Easley to satisfy us most of the time and we are under 30 minutes to downtown Greenville and the mall.

Taylors is more suburban and closer to the mall and more shopping. Downtown will also be a bit closer to most of the Taylors area. While the schools are good there I always have a worry in a large school district that my house could get re-zoned into a "bad" school. I have friends in the Mauldin/Simpsonville are that were re-zoned from a good high school to a less desirable one. I don't think it is as big of a concern in Taylors but you never know....

There are racist folks here as there are everywhere. I am reminded of this every time I take US 25 North out of Greenville and pass the large "Southern Heritage" store with the million rebel flags out front. I am sure the owners would claim they celebrate the heritage of the south - not hate but I still wouldn't believe them....

I know as a kid we moved to NJ for a few years and I saw a lot of ethnic animosity up there. I was shocked because I hadn't expected to see racism outside of the south yet there it was. I also remember being stationed in Korea for a year while in the Army. I knew Korean and had several incidents on the subway where someone would look at me and rant in Korean about the "American Bastard" thinking I was oblivious. I usually let them finish and then politely told them in Korean that not all Americans were bastards - got some shocked responses for sure!

Thank you VolstuckinNC! We would definitely want a good-excellent school for our son. Are the private schools good? My husbands last memory of Powdersville wasnt too good. He said there was a tendency to be alot more racism there since it wasnt culturally diverse like the other towns. Has Powdersville changed since 2008? Thank you again for answering my questions! Have a blessed day

Old 08-11-2012, 01:25 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Hopeful View Post
Thank you VolstuckinNC! We would definitely want a good-excellent school for our son. Are the private schools good? My husbands last memory of Powdersville wasnt too good. He said there was a tendency to be alot more racism there since it wasnt culturally diverse like the other towns. Has Powdersville changed since 2008? Thank you again for answering my questions! Have a blessed day
There aren't any culturally diverse towns around here. You can look up stats, or just come and see for yourself. The people that say otherwise, haven't lived in cutlurally diverse places. They are probably born and raised here, and things seem diverse compared to 30 years ago I guess.

I live in Greenville, and the area I live in is 95% white. I don't know of any non-whites on my block. I'd say its 100% white, but I havent met everybody.

There are other areas of Greenville that are 90+% black, and a few pockets of hispanic people around.

As far as good-excellent schools around here, I think you have to go private. SC ranks in the bottom 5 states in the country as far as schools go, so you have to take that into consideration when people compare schools within the state.

The people who can afford it send their kids to Christ Church.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
There aren't any culturally diverse towns around here. You can look up stats, or just come and see for yourself. The people that say otherwise, haven't lived in cutlurally diverse places. They are probably born and raised here, and things seem diverse compared to 30 years ago I guess.

I live in Greenville, and the area I live in is 95% white. I don't know of any non-whites on my block. I'd say its 100% white, but I havent met everybody.

There are other areas of Greenville that are 90+% black, and a few pockets of hispanic people around.

As far as good-excellent schools around here, I think you have to go private. SC ranks in the bottom 5 states in the country as far as schools go, so you have to take that into consideration when people compare schools within the state.

The people who can afford it send their kids to Christ Church.

Thank you Art123.
I dont mind if i were to be the "minorty" in certain towns as long as i am accepted, or tolerated atleast... I understand they may not be as diverse towns as what we experience here in CA but that is what i am trying to get away from in some respects. I dont like the gangs, which seem to be prevalent in more of the minority demographic...

Old 08-11-2012, 01:54 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
US 2010 Census demographics for Greenville County, Greenville and Taylors. .
Pop: 461,299
White: 77.2%
Black: 18.4%
Latino: 8.3%

Greenville:
Pop: 58,409
White: 64.0%
Black: 30.0%
Latino: 5.9%

Taylors:
Pop: 21,617
White: 76.9%
Black: 14.9%
Latin: 8.3%

US 2010 Census for Pickens County and Easley.
Pop: 119, 226
White: 89.6%
Black: 7.0%
Latino: 3.3%

Easley
Pop: 19, 993
White: 83.1%
Black: 11.4 %
Latino: 5.6%

Notes:
*There is a small Asian population, and an even smaller mixed race population in both counties, as there is a very small Native American and/or Alaska Native population.
**I used the term Latino to describe of "persons of Hispanic or Latino Origin" as writen in the census. .

Old 08-14-2012, 10:45 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
We haven't seen any problems in Powdersville but I'm sure experiences will vary. The last town we lived in was very diverse. The local schools there were about 1/3 white, 1/3 African American, and 1/3 Hispanic.

When we moved here my daughter definitely noticed it is less diverse. That being said, the president of her Beta club last year was a young Hispanic gentleman. The students made that vote, which says something, I think. Even with less diversity she had made friends across racial lines. That is one of the things I like about public schools - you get more economic and cultural diversity. A lot of the private schools in this area were first established to be all-white. They aren't now but they still tend to be less diverse.

I will disagree with Art by saying I think you can find good to excellent public schools here. My daughter is just starting high school but they have her mapped out to take a very challenging course load that will leave her with close to a year of college credit when she finishes high school. Anderson District One has a technology center that offers an engineering curriculum with courses in robotics and biotechnology.

South Carolina in general lags behind in public education but if you carefully select where you live you can find good schools in SC. As a Hispanic person in this area you will definitely be in the minority. I'm sure you will find some racism if you look but you will find that anywhere.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
We haven't seen any problems in Powdersville but I'm sure experiences will vary. The last town we lived in was very diverse. The local schools there were about 1/3 white, 1/3 African American, and 1/3 Hispanic.

When we moved here my daughter definitely noticed it is less diverse. That being said, the president of her Beta club last year was a young Hispanic gentleman. The students made that vote, which says something, I think. Even with less diversity she had made friends across racial lines. That is one of the things I like about public schools - you get more economic and cultural diversity. A lot of the private schools in this area were first established to be all-white. They aren't now but they still tend to be less diverse.

I will disagree with Art by saying I think you can find good to excellent public schools here. My daughter is just starting high school but they have her mapped out to take a very challenging course load that will leave her with close to a year of college credit when she finishes high school. Anderson District One has a technology center that offers an engineering curriculum with courses in robotics and biotechnology.

South Carolina in general lags behind in public education but if you carefully select where you live you can find good schools in SC. As a Hispanic person in this area you will definitely be in the minority. I'm sure you will find some racism if you look but you will find that anywhere.

Thank you VolstuckinNC!
That is awesome that your daughter will have a year of college credit before she even attends! schools cant be too bad then. I dont mind being the minority, as long as i am accepted. I try to be nice and smile at everyone. Treat others as I would like to be treated... As far as where we should live, it would probably be somewhere apartments or homes arent over $650 a month i think. That is what we pay here in CA. My husband is the sole financial provider at this moment as I am the stay at home mom. Its been tough living on one income but we feel it is best for our son to be cared for by me and not in a daycare. But I do have plans of returning to work once my son is of age to attend school. If you have any more helpful advice I would really appreciate it. Good luck to your daughter on the new journey that is high school!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area