Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 05:15 PM

73 posts, read 178,192 times

Advertisements

We moved here 4 years ago from Colorado. If we had known the area better we would have ended up in TR (we lived in the mountains). I predict that TR area will be the future "Boulder" of the Greenville area. It has that feel and with the community working towards a healthy lifestyle (biking, kayaking & health food store), I can easily see a surge in the next 10-15 years in this area for people who enjoy those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 12:48 PM

80 posts, read 134,237 times
Do those of you who live in TR (and love it, I assume) also work in TR? Or commute to Greenville? Or elsewhere?

Or is there anyone who lives in TR and doesn't like it?

I've got to admit that Travelers Rest has seemed too far north to me, as I've assumed that we will be working in Greenville (I'm a paralegal and will likely be working in a law firm, most--but not all--of which are in or near downtown Greenville). I'm not one for a long commute, either, as I've become very spoiled where we are now and can get to work in under 10 minutes. I just can't see driving more than 20 minutes to get to work/get home from work, though I know many do it.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:08 PM

807 posts, read 1,785,078 times
I guess I can say that I live in between. I live in Easley, but more on the Dacusville side. I can be in TR in 15 minutes or I can be Downtown in 10-15. I can be at the mall in 15-20 depending on traffic. If you live in TR and go straight down Hwy. 25 it will take you to Downtown. Probably 20-25 minutes max and that might be a stretch depending on what part of TR. You can always go State Park Rd. and come out at Cherrydale (Poinsett Hwy).

Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 PM

27 posts, read 105,999 times
we moved from Simpsonville to the northside near Paris Mountain State Park in 2009. we built a new house in a small neighborhood and really like it up here better. there are few cookie cutter neighborhoods that are common in Simpsonville (honestly, i don't understand the Simpsonville draw).

we are close to downtown Greenville, TR, Greer. GSP is 20 mins. food stores, target, walmart, pizza, Swamp Rabbit, Wade Hampton Blvd, Cherrydale, Furman, etc are all within 10 mins and there is minimal traffic. 385 is 15 mins away and 85 is 20-25 mins.

we have great mountain views of both Paris and the Blue Ridge and are 45 mins from south Asheville. all in all we love it here on the northside of town, and i think it will see increased popularity if the economy ever turns around.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:30 PM

80 posts, read 134,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoRedBull View Post
we moved from Simpsonville to the northside near Paris Mountain State Park in 2009.[snip] all in all we love it here on the northside of town, and i think it will see increased popularity if the economy ever turns around.
As I mentioned upthread, we have done a couple of reconnaissance trips to Greenville in the last few months, and northern Greenville is very appealing to us. I prematurely fell in love with a house south of Furman, and fortunately for the owners but sadly for me, it is currently under contract. I'd like to find something similar, though, as we like the neighborhood and, as you've mentioned, the area's proximity to pretty much everything. It may be as far north as is practical for us to go, though.

The other consideration is that my older parents live near Spartanburg, and I don't want to be *too* far from them; would prefer to keep ourselves ~30 minutes away. Juuuust far enough, if you know what I mean! That said, we haven't visited Travelers Rest, so we don't really know just how far it is from everything. I'll have to try that out on my next trip, which will probably be around the end of March, I reckon.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:01 PM

113 posts, read 244,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincoglionita View Post
As I mentioned upthread, we have done a couple of reconnaissance trips to Greenville in the last few months, and northern Greenville is very appealing to us. I prematurely fell in love with a house south of Furman, and fortunately for the owners but sadly for me, it is currently under contract. I'd like to find something similar, though, as we like the neighborhood and, as you've mentioned, the area's proximity to pretty much everything. It may be as far north as is practical for us to go, though.

The other consideration is that my older parents live near Spartanburg, and I don't want to be *too* far from them; would prefer to keep ourselves ~30 minutes away. Juuuust far enough, if you know what I mean! That said, we haven't visited Travelers Rest, so we don't really know just how far it is from everything. I'll have to try that out on my next trip, which will probably be around the end of March, I reckon.
Not sure what your price range is, but as I stated above, my wife and I are Greenville transplants and live in the Carillion community...about 5 minutes north of Furman. Homes in here start around 260k. Carillion is not as far out as Traveler's Rest, and only about 12 minutes to downtown. Shopping is minutes away in each direction. Also, I'm not a realtor, jut proud of where I live!

Old 01-23-2012, 09:06 PM

24 posts, read 42,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rincoglionita View Post

TR to Spartanburg is an hour. If you wanted to be 30 minutes from Spartanburg it would put you into Greer/Duncan. The Furman area has some really nice houses and subs. You can run from Furman to Cherrydale in about 10 minutes, and another 8 minutes to the heart of downtown.

Cherrydale has a nice selection of shopping and food with the bonus of a movie theater. The residential areas directly around cherrydale are very low income and you can wind up in some undesirable areas pretty quickly.

Old 01-25-2012, 12:26 PM

14 posts, read 42,350 times
A large majority of those of us who live out here DO NOT WANT ANY ONE ELSE TO MOVE OUT HERE. ESPECIALLY NOT RETAIL SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We moved out here to get away from all of that crap. If I want wall to wall shopping and housing developments, then I will go to another part of the county!

Old 01-25-2012, 12:45 PM

113 posts, read 244,909 times
Yes! Very true. Save the sprawl for the other side of town.

Old 01-25-2012, 02:59 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstic View Post
TR to Spartanburg is an hour. If you wanted to be 30 minutes from Spartanburg it would put you into Greer/Duncan. The Furman area has some really nice houses and subs. You can run from Furman to Cherrydale in about 10 minutes, and another 8 minutes to the heart of downtown.

Cherrydale has a nice selection of shopping and food with the bonus of a movie theater. The residential areas directly around cherrydale are very low income and you can wind up in some undesirable areas pretty quickly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jray864 View Post
A large majority of those of us who live out here DO NOT WANT ANY ONE ELSE TO MOVE OUT HERE. ESPECIALLY NOT RETAIL SHOPPING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We moved out here to get away from all of that crap. If I want wall to wall shopping and housing developments, then I will go to another part of the county!
Commute times from Travelers Rest, Furman or Cherrydale to Greenville's downtown, Spartanburg or Greer are shorter than many think. One can commute easily from Travelers Rest to Spartanburg in 30 to 40 minutes if they know which roads to take.

The residential areas of Cherrydale are mixed. You have several nice neighborhoods (Buxton, Montibello, San Souci along East Blue Ridge Drive, State Park Road toward Paris Mountain) and a couple shady areas (Worley Road, Poinsett Highway towards downtown).

Retail in Cherrydale and Travelers Rest is coming slowly. We do not mind having the same retailers Woodruff and Haywood Roads have, but we want them to come under careful planning. Developers have been good about redeveloping sites that were once mills or dying retail centers and reusing them for other retailers. Think about Cherrydale Point, University Square, and the old Winn Dixie in Travelers Rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area