Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 11:03 AM

3 posts, read 15,464 times

Advertisements

Hi South Carolina,

I'm interested the Travelers Rest, SC. Is it a good place to raise kids? How are the schools? ( I have elementary age kids) Is it a good place to work and play?

Any information would be gladly appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Default Tr

I really loved that area and was anticipating this as our ideal location, but after another poster and I discovered the statistics found on this site, I am not as enthralled...
http://services.sled.sc.gov/SOR/

It's one thing to take a chance as an adult, but I am concerned about moving my young daughter in to a small, rural area so concentrated with offenders.

I'm on the fence right now.

:I

Old 01-03-2007, 11:46 AM

Thank you so much. I went to the website and found the guy whose house I was thinking about renting.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:51 AM

1,806 posts, read 5,707,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINDINGMYSELF View Post
Thank you so much. I went to the website and found the guy whose house I was thinking about renting.

Please tell me YOU'RE KIDDING!?

Wow...my good deed for the day. I can nap now.

Old 01-03-2007, 11:59 AM

I wish I was. My heart literally dropped when I saw his picture that he happened to have taken today. I have two children a girl and a boy and I'm very petite woman.That's very scary. I was wondering why he asked me if my friend which happended to be female would be moving in with me. He seemed relieved when I told him that she wasn't.

Old 01-03-2007, 01:21 PM

286 posts, read 1,478,001 times
Wow! What a coincidence. That is very scary.

I wanted to add a positive note for Travelers Rest. I lived there in a rental for 2 years then in Greenville for 6 years and now am building in Travelers Rest. My experience there was nothing less than perfect small town manners with many fantastic people.

Any area can statistically be put in a positive or negative light. My personal experience showed me enough that we will be moving into our new house with two 2 year old boys this summer.

Old 01-03-2007, 07:54 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,871 times
Quite a few names for such a small town. I'd be concerned. Sex offending is a terminal pathology, they never get it out of their system.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:22 AM

698 posts, read 2,842,131 times
Default TR's sexual offender list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Annie View Post
Quite a few names for such a small town. I'd be concerned. Sex offending is a terminal pathology, they never get it out of their system.
It's a definite negative for us as a family with two young girls. And it's true that numbers are just numbers but each stat represents a person who has abused someone, and if you read the offense, several children. And as you point out, pedophiles are difficult -- if not impossible -- to rehabilitate.
There are lots of cities and towns in lots of states where sexual predators live but not all have such a high number for their size.

A quick check of the SC list shows low stats for Clemson, Tega Cay, Powdersville, and Sunset. Landrum has fewer too. So there is a difference town to town and as nice and friendly as a place may seem if you have children (as we do), it just seems like the better choice for them to live someplace not populated by criminals who prey on kids.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:06 PM

286 posts, read 1,478,001 times
When I first read where this thread was heading, I immediately thought, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling". However, having two young kids I thought I should take it a bit more serious. I have now pulled up the link and used mapquest to locate every single one of the offenders for Travelers Rest.

Good and bad news. Good news, there is only one within 2miles of our house. Bad news, there is one within 2 miles of our house.

So I decided to compare Travelers Rest to other comparable towns to see how "high" TR is compaired to its peers. In general, it appeared to, in fact, have about 10-15% more offenders than others.

One thing to keep in mind. The list for TR is bringing up all locations with a TR address, not just the city limits. This means that it is covering a large area that actually has a population that may be 10 times higher than a first glance might have you believe.

So then I tried picking an arbitrary address in an apparently "low" town like Landrum. Fact was, the number of offenders were smaller, but so was the area covered. Net effect, you end up with a similar density of offenders to Travelers Rest.

What did all this tell me? Well, I'll be on my toes in regards to the issue, but it is not going to drive my decision of where to live. It also pointed out that it is a bit more involved than just pulling up this one list and taking it at face value. Heck, I bet only a small percentage of offenders are registered or for that matter even caught at all. So where do all these unknowns fall into your decision?

Bottom line. I'll be the best parent I can be. I'll be aware, and cautious, but not to a fault.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:42 PM

63 posts, read 262,028 times
Smile I understand....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony123 View Post
When I first read where this thread was heading, I immediately thought, "the sky is falling, the sky is falling". However, having two young kids I thought I should take it a bit more serious. I have now pulled up the link and used mapquest to locate every single one of the offenders for Travelers Rest.

Good and bad news. Good news, there is only one within 2miles of our house. Bad news, there is one within 2 miles of our house.

So I decided to compare Travelers Rest to other comparable towns to see how "high" TR is compaired to its peers. In general, it appeared to, in fact, have about 10-15% more offenders than others.

One thing to keep in mind. The list for TR is bringing up all locations with a TR address, not just the city limits. This means that it is covering a large area that actually has a population that may be 10 times higher than a first glance might have you believe.

So then I tried picking an arbitrary address in an apparently "low" town like Landrum. Fact was, the number of offenders were smaller, but so was the area covered. Net effect, you end up with a similar density of offenders to Travelers Rest.

What did all this tell me? Well, I'll be on my toes in regards to the issue, but it is not going to drive my decision of where to live. It also pointed out that it is a bit more involved than just pulling up this one list and taking it at face value. Heck, I bet only a small percentage of offenders are registered or for that matter even caught at all. So where do all these unknowns fall into your decision?

Bottom line. I'll be the best parent I can be. I'll be aware, and cautious, but not to a fault.

We live in sunny south florida...I would hate for you to see the stats for sexual offenders in palm beach county. As a parent it is horrifying...but as you say you have to be the best parent you can be and stay informed. I wish there was only 1 offender within two miles of me. We are looking to relocate to the upstate area and will weigh the pros and cons, but I think it will be a great change from the crime we see daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area