Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 10,472 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone

I am new to the forum and I love everything you guys have about Greer SC.
My husband and I have been planning to move to Greer for about 3 years, but that has been a challenge.

In October of last year my husband went to visit an aunt, who moved to Greer 5 years ago, and he ended up staying for 2 weeks, and felt in love with Greer, and now we are getting ready to leave Orlando and to move to Greer in the next month or so. I am super excited and so is our son.

We are now searching for jobs and housing. Fortunately we will be able to stay with my husband’s aunt for about a month or 2, but we would love to have jobs as soon as we move to Greer and after that, find a place on our own, and commence new lives in Greer.

I can’t wait to leave all the horrible traffic, the outrageous prices and the terrible school system behind.

If anyone can send me some links or any info about jobs and housing, I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:27 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Housing links are a dime a dozen and it all depends on what you are looking for, buying or renting, house or condo, in Greer Greenville or Greer Spartanburg. I believe any good realtor website has the mls listings of all the homes available for sale in the area whether it's their listing, or not. Craigslist, of course for realtor listed and by owner and there's other websites as well. I think once you get here and get to know the area better, pinpoint what are you think would be suited to what you are looking for in the price range you can afford, you can go from there. You have an advantage of being able to stay with someone while you look, not many people have this luxury.

Jobs - anyone who is moving here that doesn't have a job to transfer to would love to have a job just waiting for them. Just scoure the usual websites to see what's available in the field you're looking for in the area.

The following thread doesn't really have info about housing or jobs. But it does have what I believe, are some great informative websites that will help you in your move here - at least I think so.

Useful Links For Information on Greer, SC

Good luck!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:14 AM

690 posts, read 1,146,982 times
Welcome! I lived off/on in Orlando for 3-4 years during college. You are right in that you'll be leaving horrendous Orlando summers, traffic and such.

Housing - lots of MSL stuff. www.greenvilleschomesearch.com is a nice site. It's the realtor I've worked with a little bit. I like their search.

Jobs - what kind of work do you and your husband do? If it's in IT (software development especially) there are plenty of jobs available. I can put you in contact with some solid tech recruiters. In Advertising? We're hiring (Erwin Penland) so you can see what's on our site.

Again, welcome! You'll love it here.

Old 02-08-2012, 12:04 PM

807 posts, read 1,785,078 times
You should just be able to google Real Estate in Greenville SC and come up with a lot. Journal homes.com has a lot of neighborhood info as well as the Real Estate Guide or The Real Estate Books websites. The local newspaper does homefinder.com as well. Good luck to you and welcome to the Upstate!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:32 PM

899 posts, read 2,288,442 times
Are you looking at public schools for your son too? The reason I ask is that there are at least five different high schools that take-in parts of Greer in case that is something to consider.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 AM

11 posts, read 17,703 times
Sound like my situation. I moved to SC in mid 2006 from Orlando. We lived in the Curry Ford/Semoran Blvd area. We also came because we wanted better schools for our kids, better income vs cost of living, and a quieter area to live in. We also hated the I-4 traffic that was often unavoidable. We moved to the Town of Lyman which borders the City of Greer on the Spartanburg County side. We are very pleased with the District 5 schools. Our kids have been through Duncan Elementary, one is in Beech Spring Middle, one has been through DR Hill (Jr High) and is now in Byrnes H.S. We found a wonderful home which actually has plenty of space around it, after having lived in some nice apartments in the area. There are some really good apartment complexes in Greer. We also love Greer because it has plenty of great restaurants, and we do most of our shopping in Greer/Taylors. A great source for job hunting is www.goupstate.com and www.greenvilleonline.com. I hope that helps. This area is heavy on manufacturing, so places like BMW, Adidas, Michelin and other plants hire often. Good luck!

Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamLCDG View Post
..This area is heavy on manufacturing, so places like BMW, Adidas, Michelin and other plants hire often. Good luck!
Does adidas actually manufacture anything locally? I know about the large distribution warehouse on I-85.

Liss0916, what kind of jobs will you be looking for?

Old 02-10-2012, 08:20 PM

7 posts, read 13,514 times
Trulia.com has great pics of listings, and for job postings try the Greenville Chamber of Commerce! Hope you enjoy your transition to Greenville!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area