Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 11:15 AM

10,100 posts, read 7,771,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
I see the Duet Wheelchair out on the Swamp Rabbit trail near the Woodlands at Furman. Several volunteers take the residents out for rides at times.
That's great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 11:24 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,547,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I like the idea of the bicycle rickshaw on the swamp rabbit. This would give maybe those that are disabled or unable to do the trail themselves, to get outdoors and experience it.

Also if you're going to do something, maybe put some zip lines somewhere along the swamp rabbit or even build a natural looking area for rock climbing. Make Greenville a fun outdoorsy place. Put some picnic areas along the trail too.

Oh, Upstatebooster, all I can say is thank goodness we have zoning laws. :-)

I think if people want to see a zoo, they will go to Columbia.
I think there's room for both. We needn't back ourselves into an "outdoorsy" corner, but have recreation for all tastes that the market will bear.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:31 AM

179 posts, read 462,676 times
I too like the idea of a Family Kingdom-esque park connected to Falls Park/SRT when the Greenville Zoo moves.

This would also be great for the local economy for field trips. Take a class to Children's Museum or a show at the Peace Center, then take them to the park.

Another good example is Funland in Rehoboth Beach, DE:
Quote:
Funland is a family amusement center located on the boardwalk in Rehoboth Beach, Delaware. A family owned and operated business since 1962, Funland provides family fun at reasonable prices for those who visit us each summer!

The park offers great entertainment for the whole family, featuring 18 rides, 13 midway games, an electronic shooting gallery, redemption center, and an arcade with video and pinball machines. See Rides for a better picture of what's in store for your Funland visit. Rides and games are on a "pay as you go basis" so you can enjoy Funland both as a spectator and a participant.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokensmth View Post
Are we forgetting about the failed park (Hard Rock) in Myrtle Beach?

With how badly that thing failed, it will be a LONG time before the state ever sees a new one.
I agree. It was a costly project and the tickets to get in were high.
High, because unlike Disney, it was just roller coasters and restaurants.
Restaurants are all over this area no need for an admission cost.
I look at that left over huge guitar and get sick over it.
There was not enough there to draw people to it. Not only that it was not close enough to the beach to get that crowd there.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amator View Post
I too like the idea of a Family Kingdom-esque park connected to Falls Park/SRT when the Greenville Zoo moves.

This would also be great for the local economy for field trips. Take a class to Children's Museum or a show at the Peace Center, then take them to the park.

Another good example is Funland in Rehoboth Beach, DE:
Well Funland is just in one building and it is so inexpensive. The low cost brought us there often. It was a must to go there with all the little fellows. We would brag to each other of how "little" we spent.
I don't know who is running it but it is a cute place and great for a rainy day, or cool evening.
I don't know if they would have something so inexpensive here. It sure worked well for Rehoboth Beach.
It was part of the draw that made us return each year.
It isn't quite a huge park at all. Just a fun place for the kids.

Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
I think there's room for both. We needn't back ourselves into an "outdoorsy" corner, but have recreation for all tastes that the market will bear.
Please don't ever zip line me over a swamp, the thought of falling down into a snake nest scares me to death.
Not to say that zippin' over an alligator would be much fun either.
But, the outdoorsy idea sounds nice.

Sinking some funds into our own Waccatee Zoo would be nice. There are some nice outdoorsy spaces there. Beautiful areas of egrets nesting.
Make that into more upscale spaces and gazing rides. It could be a fantastic place for many. Let your imagination flow...

Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
I'm glad residents are on the same page about this subject. I hope the city takes these opinions into consideration. I'm wondering if anyone has brought it to their attention at town meetings?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:17 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
We don't need one in the Upstate. It will never happen.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:29 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,362,441 times
The old Myrtle Beach Pavilion was a great small amusement park, with a nice selection of typical carnival/county fair type rides, games, and even 2 rollercoasters. Something like that or Family Kingdom at the Greenville Zoo location would be an awesome idea. Or perhaps a more suburban location such as somewhere on Laurens Rd or Wade Hampton where some of those big box stores have been abandoned.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:42 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Hard Rock failed for numerous reasons, such as ticket price @ 50 bucks (ouch), location, poor management and a soft economy when it opened (bad timing).

A smaller niche park, like Family Kingdom, may do well after the economy gets moving again.
Great Points!

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
A full-blown amusement park is not needed in the Upstate. There are major upsides of relocating the Greenville Zoo which sits on 14 acres. Family Kingdom sits on 13 acres in MB and has 30 rides, so something like it could fit in the Zoo's vacated space.

There is no admission charge to Family Kingdom...either pay per ride or pay $25 for unlimited rides. People could access the Swamp Rabbit Trail to Falls Park and downtown. Maybe have pedicabs or bicycle rickshaws to ferry people between the park and downtown. Would make for a great tourist attraction.

You have great vision
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area