Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 05:30 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times

Advertisements

I agree with the post above. Because manafacturing is one of those wish-washy fields that can boom one day and fail the next, the upstate must diversify. Greenville is overdue for its own state Univerity, I know USC-Upstate is looking to build a small campus in Greenvile but that's not enough. One thing that seems to blossoming in the upstate is healthcare, that's a very promising field so I'm glad it's expanding. I'd say it would be smart for Greenville & Spartanburg Counties to begin acquiring land for possible mass-transit such as light rail, that will connect both cities.

For the most part the current infrastructure in the upstate isnt in a terrible state but because I do predict a population boom within the next few years, every county needs to form a master plan together that will help pay for the future infrastructure demands.

What do you guys think of Greer surpassing Spartanburg as the 2nd most populated city in the upstate? Will it happen or is it unlikely?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 05:41 PM

475 posts, read 900,708 times
Regarding transit for the older among us. I have lived in areas with high senior populations. There are a number of organizations that step up to offer transportation for seniors .Some for a small fee,some to promote shopping in an area,some to promote living in an area. As the entire population of the country ages this will continue and increase including and especially in areas seniors relocate/retired to.

Old 06-06-2012, 06:37 PM

374 posts, read 834,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
I agree with the post above. Because manafacturing is one of those wish-washy fields that can boom one day and fail the next, the upstate must diversify. Greenville is overdue for its own state Univerity, I know USC-Upstate is looking to build a small campus in Greenvile but that's not enough. One thing that seems to blossoming in the upstate is healthcare, that's a very promising field so I'm glad it's expanding. I'd say it would be smart for Greenville & Spartanburg Counties to begin acquiring land for possible mass-transit such as light rail, that will connect both cities.

For the most part the current infrastructure in the upstate isnt in a terrible state but because I do predict a population boom within the next few years, every county needs to form a master plan together that will help pay for the future infrastructure demands.

What do you guys think of Greer surpassing Spartanburg as the 2nd most populated city in the upstate? Will it happen or is it unlikely?
Good post.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:34 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Regarding transit for the older among us. I have lived in areas with high senior populations. There are a number of organizations that step up to offer transportation for seniors .Some for a small fee,some to promote shopping in an area,some to promote living in an area. As the entire population of the country ages this will continue and increase including and especially in areas seniors relocate/retired to.
I am all for non-government owned transit run businesses, as that's what the transit business was way back when, but I also believe what you're referring to is much more limited and restricted mainly for the older and/or disabled.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

Focusing on health has been and will be really good for us, especially considering the need is going to skyrocket. You're absolutely right, it isn't enough.

I would encourage you to think a little more outside the box on the idea of transit when it comes to rail. Light rail is nice, but it is very difficult to make it effective honestly. It usually ends up being very expensive, under used, and doesn't inspire the kind of development it was intended for. What I would MUCH rather see is a modern, cheap and 'light' commuter rail that connects the downtowns of Anderson, Greenville, and Spartanburg. There wouldn't really be a need for any stops inbetween. Outside of that, we need to really focus on upscaling our bus systems. Increasing hours/days, more routes, shorter wait times, utilizing technology (electric buses, overhead electric rechargers, ETA app for phone/pad, etc) amongst other things.

Our infrastructure is getting by for the most part. There are still a number of roads I hate going down, and bridges that I really don't want to cross though. As was stated before in the Greenville news, our roads have an F at worst and a 'possible' D at best.

Oh, and on Greer, it may well be in less than 3 years that Greer over takes Spartanburg, and probably already has surpassed Anderson. This is why I encourage cities to utilize every resource they have to annexing land in any direction they can due to SC annexation law and to make as many attractable residences within the city.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I am all for non-government owned transit run businesses, as that's what the transit business was way back when, but I also believe what you're referring to is much more limited and restricted mainly for the older and/or disabled.
Yes, That's why I said older.The op mentioned the elderly and traffic-accident concerns. Although the elderly choose to drive past the time they should ,if the opportunity is there for them perhaps they will choose the bus,or van. And I mentioned it specifically because of the non-goverment part. So many that move to smaller cities from larger ones call out for mass transit. I for one am not a fan . I am looking to move to a small city because it IS a small city.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Yes, That's why I said older.The op mentioned the elderly and traffic-accident concerns. Although the elderly choose to drive past the time they should ,if the opportunity is there for them perhaps they will choose the bus,or van. And I mentioned it specifically because of the non-goverment part. So many that move to smaller cities from larger ones call out for mass transit. I for one am not a fan . I am looking to move to a small city because it IS a small city.
Yet by moving you are stimulating growth. You can't expect that because you and many more are moving there that the area will remain the way it did prior to and right as you came there. We are very far off, and possibly never going to become major city status (like US top 20 most populous), but population and development will continue to grow, and if some are so against that progress, then they'll just have to move again and again and further away. You can't just stop growing or else the area stagnates. I think Anderson is the 110% perfect example of this. We've had county members (I refuse to call them leaders when they are not) who look out mainly for themselves and appeal to the special interest groups like the elderly who they favor and who favor them. As a result the policies are reflected of a car centered 'golden age' with suburban policies being domanant and downtown just kinda being there with little reason to be there and no one living there. Commercial and residencial areas are mainly completely seperated and everyone seems to have a 'not in my backyard' mentality. It's quite sad really as the old folks keep coming and their children leave, but they don't care, they're somewhat happy.

You may not be for transit. A lot of people here aren't. It's very inefficent and seems to be designed by people who have mostly never left the county or state and just kinda decided they would do something and call it cutting edge. The point is not to do something to make you happy, but to do something that will be better for everyone overall. You never have to ride a bus a day in your life if you want to, but give everyone else who either can't drive, isn't allowed to, can't afford to, or simply don't want to an opportunity. Don't be another one of those typical people around here who says 'if you don't like it, leave'. That's so 'easy' and such a scapegoat.

Providing transit will prove beneficial for you, even if you don't use it, and other members of your family if they so chose to stay here. It allows people who might otherwise not have the opportunity the chance to get out and do things and spend money. It provides people who don't want all the expenses of vehicles to spend more money because they're not spending it on gas, maintaince, insurance, etc. While some car related businesses might take a very, very, v-e-r-y small decline in sales...POSSIBLY...most businesses will see more gains as more money is being spent. More taxes will be brought in which means more can be done for areas that might not have been possible before. More businesses start to open up, more jobs are created, and more people come. The results keep building up and keep repeating themselves.

If you are truely against transit and being in too urban an area, then it would only make sense that you live in an area that would not be affected by the changes within the forseeable future. That means I'd expect you would most likely stay somewhere like outside Travelers Rest or Iva. Then you don't have to worry about what changes will happen as progress can be made in great bounds and you will likely be outside over 90% of it.

Old 06-07-2012, 05:42 PM

27 posts, read 51,045 times
Quote:
I don't think buses necessarily make a city larger or no longer qualify it as a small city. We will most likely have no choice but accept higher taxes within a few years if we want to keep our roads, and I for one would like to see more done with buses so that we will have options and maybe we can hold off on increasing some expenses for roads, such as widening.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Yet by moving you are stimulating growth. You can't expect that because you and many more are moving there that the area will remain the way it did prior to and right as you came there. We are very far off, and possibly never going to become major city status (like US top 20 most populous), but population and development will continue to grow, and if some are so against that progress, then they'll just have to move again and again and further away. You can't just stop growing or else the area stagnates. I think Anderson is the 110% perfect example of this. We've had county members (I refuse to call them leaders when they are not) who look out mainly for themselves and appeal to the special interest groups like the elderly who they favor and who favor them. As a result the policies are reflected of a car centered 'golden age' with suburban policies being domanant and downtown just kinda being there with little reason to be there and no one living there. Commercial and residencial areas are mainly completely seperated and everyone seems to have a 'not in my backyard' mentality. It's quite sad really as the old folks keep coming and their children leave, but they don't care, they're somewhat happy.

You may not be for transit. A lot of people here aren't. It's very inefficent and seems to be designed by people who have mostly never left the county or state and just kinda decided they would do something and call it cutting edge. The point is not to do something to make you happy, but to do something that will be better for everyone overall. You never have to ride a bus a day in your life if you want to, but give everyone else who either can't drive, isn't allowed to, can't afford to, or simply don't want to an opportunity. Don't be another one of those typical people around here who says 'if you don't like it, leave'. That's so 'easy' and such a scapegoat.

Providing transit will prove beneficial for you, even if you don't use it, and other members of your family if they so chose to stay here. It allows people who might otherwise not have the opportunity the chance to get out and do things and spend money. It provides people who don't want all the expenses of vehicles to spend more money because they're not spending it on gas, maintaince, insurance, etc. While some car related businesses might take a very, very, v-e-r-y small decline in sales...POSSIBLY...most businesses will see more gains as more money is being spent. More taxes will be brought in which means more can be done for areas that might not have been possible before. More businesses start to open up, more jobs are created, and more people come. The results keep building up and keep repeating themselves.

If you are truely against transit and being in too urban an area, then it would only make sense that you live in an area that would not be affected by the changes within the forseeable future. That means I'd expect you would most likely stay somewhere like outside Travelers Rest or Iva. Then you don't have to worry about what changes will happen as progress can be made in great bounds and you will likely be outside over 90% of it.
Travelers Rest is in fact the area I was looking at recently. Still close enough to enjoy the 'big' city.But I'm not ruling the city out.I don't expect the area to stay the same.I chose a place that is growing. Growth means life. I first explored NC. It's is and has been and will continue to grow at a faster pace than SC . After spending most of my life in metro Detroit I look forward to a much less developed area. And yes ,if Gvl does change into something that doesn't work for me I will move again. Mass transit is not necessary for growth. If you want to encourage it to make others happy that's your right. I guess the rest of us will continue to discourage it for the exact same reason.

Old 06-07-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Travelers Rest is in fact the area I was looking at recently. Still close enough to enjoy the 'big' city.But I'm not ruling the city out.I don't expect the area to stay the same.I chose a place that is growing. Growth means life. I first explored NC. It's is and has been and will continue to grow at a faster pace than SC . After spending most of my life in metro Detroit I look forward to a much less developed area. And yes ,if Gvl does change into something that doesn't work for me I will move again. Mass transit is not necessary for growth. If you want to encourage it to make others happy that's your right. I guess the rest of us will continue to discourage it for the exact same reason.
And while I understand the appeal of lower developed areas for those older (though disagree myself) I don't see what transit has to do with people disliking the area. Bettering it provides people much needed options, can take the strain off the infrastructure, helps the elderly and disabled get around, and yes, attracts some development. Its true you have the right, but why would you be against something that could help people and won't cost you anything? Its just appaling to me...its actually why I have a slight distaste for the older generations. They just seem to me that they want what's good for them at the expense of everyone else. They don't care if people have the option, they can still drive for now and have their own car. They don't care if people don't get jobs and the business they want, they just care that they move wherever they want and try to keep development away from them. They don't care if people can enjoy the same luxuries as they do, because its what a book tells them. Now, I'm glad that you like the area, but I wouldn't mind if you left if development keeps going. I hope it does. As I said before, you should embrace it because you never know how long it'll keep up and if you don't keep growing then you stagnate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area