Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM

12 posts, read 19,031 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to South Carolina when we graduate in May and we've fallen in love with the Anderson area. However we're aware that Greenville is a much larger area with a better chance of us having employment lined up before graduation (we're both business majors). Is the commute from Anderson to Greenville a manageable daily drive if we did manage to line up work?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 05:04 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Well, if you live on the north side in the Greenville St area not too far from I-85, it's like 15-20 minutes into Greenville. If you're thinking more of the Clemson Blvd area then it's probably closer to 25-30 minutes.

I'm all for businesses and people locating here, but I would recommend for yall to just go ahead and move to the outer Greenville areas. You'll be closer to Greenville and have all the things you like about Anderson and probably more. The only thing the area might have over Greenville is a less sprawled feeling, but in a few years that will be non-existant in the areas thats a reasonable drive to Greenville.

I'm also guessing you probably couldn't find a decent job for your degree in the Anderson area, could you?

Old 06-13-2012, 09:49 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,687 times
Hmm...I take it by your member name that you're 22 years old - here's some advice from someone that's a couple of decades older:

1. obtain a definite, confirmed job prior to moving
2. live near/adjacent/close to your place of employment - I've commuted for nearly the last 10 years - complete waste of time and energy - I'm fortunate to now live about 3 min from my workplace (exceptions to everything re commutes - thoroughly investigate the local public schools prior to moving to any area)
3. your love for Anderson (I'm scratching my head on that one) - I've worked/lived from Anderson/Seneca all the way east to Gaffney (and most places in-between, with the exception of Easley) - ultimately chose to live in Greenville - close to buying a house here and will gladly pay its city taxes - have you been to Greenville or its downtown?

Old 06-14-2012, 12:56 PM

Mattee01- Since graduation isn't until May I haven't been applying for jobs yet, I've just been researching the market and seeing what's available in the Anderson area and it's coming up a little bare.

drfranklin- I haven't been to Greenville, but we're making a trip at the end of October to look into everything more thoroughly. I'm from Los Angeles and my husband is from an exceptionally small town in Michigan, so we've been rather divided on the things that we want out of the city we move to. Anderson seems to fit both our needs but we're not closed off to living a surrounding city if it has what we're looking for. And don't worry, we would NEVER move before having jobs lined up. It wouldn't be worth the risk of ending up unemployed.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:26 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
What is it that you are looking for in a location to move to?

Greenville in October is going to skew things a bit - wonderful time to visit here! Make sure you make time to visit the mountains while you are here.

Old 06-14-2012, 02:45 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdasr22 View Post
Mattee01- Since graduation isn't until May I haven't been applying for jobs yet, I've just been researching the market and seeing what's available in the Anderson area and it's coming up a little bare.
Well I'm just trying to tell you ahead of time that unless you can land a job you want in the Anderson area, there's no point in moving to Anderson...really. We have a fair amount of people on the northern end who commute between Anderson and Greenville and it just seems flat out pointless to me. You can drive 20-30 miles from the Hwy 81, Clemson Blvd, Concord Rd, etc areas on the north side that most of those commuters decide to live in and head up towards Greenville and there's not a significant or even really noticable increase in development until you get to and pass I-185. The prices of homes and taxes also are not that different either...if anything for the taxes that are lower here in Anderson will be 'reimbersed' with poor roads, mediocre schools, and terrible planning. Are those overlookable? Yes, generally, but not really worth it if you're 'living your life' in Greenville anyway.

I'm really not trying to push you away from the area...really, I'm not. But please consider more about how worth it it'll be to have a 30 minute commute, maybe longer, just to be in Anderson.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:37 AM

We're open to other areas if they have what we want. Basically we're looking for:

-Medium sized population- More than the "everyone knows everyone and is probably related to each other" size, but less than the "no one knows what their neighbor looks like" size.

-A nice downtown. I plan on opening a small business at some point and I'd like to have it in a centralized location where it's easily accessible, doesn't drown in 10 others of it's kind (bookstore) but has enough traffic that it can survive.

-A safe, family oriented neighborhood. We don't have kids now but we do plan on having a family in a few years

Basically we like the small town "feel" but we don't want to be 20 miles from civilization :]

Old 06-15-2012, 07:04 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
I'm going to guess that you haven't been to downtown Anderson. Something may change eventually but I can't see a bookstore thriving there.

That being said, there are places in this area that might work. Traveler's Rest, Pendleton, even Easley might be better candidates. Downtown Greenville sounds bigger than you are looking for but it is a nice downtown. Some of the mountain towns in NC would work for a bookstore but they are more then 20 miles from civilization.....

Old 06-15-2012, 07:07 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,608,687 times
kda, you need to visit downtown Greenville - actually I'd love a local bookstore in the downtown/West End area (there are none).

Once you visit Falls Park, any thoughts of Anderson will fade.

Note also that Greenville is the epicenter of shopping in the Upstate - Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Apple Store, REI, Total Wine, etc only reside in Greenville.

Your last statement ("Basically we like the small town 'feel' but we don't want to be 20 miles from civilization") essentially describes Greenville.

Last edited by drfranklin; 06-15-2012 at 07:32 AM..

Old 06-15-2012, 07:16 AM

There's a Trader Joe's?! Uh oh...haha. I miss that store so much! Well we'll definitely start directing our search to the Greenville area. We've never actually been to Anderson, but we have family who lived there a while back and loved it, so I guess in reality we fell in love with the SOUND of Anderson more than the town itself.

What are the little towns right outside of Greenville like? Mauldin, Taylors, Berea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area