Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:26 AM

684 posts, read 1,185,851 times

Advertisements

I know I posted this in the other thread, but think it deserves its own topic after reading a bit more in-depth. SC is down one position from #45 in 2011. Like the rest of America Obesity and diabetes is trending up, smoking is relatively flat. Specifically: SC is 42nd in obesity, 47th in high-school graduation, 48th is child poverty, 46th in violent crime, and 49th in diabetes. Copy-pasted from the state summary:

Strengths:

Low prevalence of binge drinking
Moderate rate of preventable hospitalizations

Challenges:

High prevalence of low birthweight
Low high school graduation rate
High percentage of children in poverty
High prevalence of diabetes

Highlights:

South Carolina has one of the highest rates of diabetes at 12.1 percent of the adult population, with 435,000 adults with diabetes.
In the past year the high school graduation rate increased from 62.2 percent to 66.0 percent of incoming ninth graders who graduated within four years.
In the past 5 years, the percentage of children in poverty increased from 15.6 percent to 26.3 percent of persons under age 18.
In the past 10 years, the rate of preventable hospitalizations decreased from 78.6 to 61.2 discharges per 1,000 Medicare enrollees.
South Carolina ranks below the median state on all measures except two – binge drinking and preventable hospitalizations.

Health Disparities

In South Carolina, obesity is more prevalent among non-Hispanic blacks at 39.9 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 27.8 percent; and sedentary lifestyle is more prevalent among Hispanics at 35.6 percent than non-Hispanic whites at 24.9 percent.

Good thing we have Krispy Kreme, Cheesecake, Baskin Robins, and not-great-escape theaters to keep that sedentary obese ranking for next year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 AM

Forgot links:

Web page (flash) - Rankings

Or

PDF - http://cdnfiles.americashealthrankin...gs-2012-v1.pdf

Old 12-15-2012, 05:29 PM

9,495 posts, read 9,807,609 times
Bring on the Cheese Cake Factory!!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM

No kidding, I guess this report tell a pretty unbiased view of the sad state we are in that no one wants to comment. Truth hurts!

Old 12-17-2012, 09:26 AM

61 posts, read 94,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
No kidding, I guess this report tell a pretty unbiased view of the sad state we are in that no one wants to comment. Truth hurts!
Obesity seems like an individual problem to me...it's not useful to look at obesity on a racial or geographic metric.

short of banning junk food and forcing people to exercise, what is your solution? I hope it's not banning junk food and forcing people to exercise.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:24 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times
Obesity just seems to be an acceptable thing around here.

I know people who brag about how much they eat, and how bad they know it is for them, like they are proud of it. They openly make fun of people who eat healthy food as being "boring," or as people who "don't know how to enjoy life." Lol.

To me that's like an alcoholic in a drunken stupor telling sober people they aren't living life to its fullest.

I don't see these people as "enjoying life" as they suck down a 64 oz. soda. I see the exact opposite, a person slowly, proudly killing themselves because they can't get control of their addictions.

I also see all the $$$ that will have to be spent on this person in our health care system. I see the obese as leaches, takers. Or, as the Bible says, gluttons.

That's why I think it's appropriate to enact more laws regulating our food supply. This high sugar, high fat diet Americans are addicted to is costing us all. We regulate alcohol, cigarettes and drugs because they are harmful to society, especially children. The same standards should apply to the food we allow children access to. Some of this "food" has very little, if any nutritional value while at the same time is actually harmful to kids.

As we start to realize the devastating effects that our poor food supply has had on our society, hopefully we can keep future generations from growing up eating the such utterly harmful crap that they currently eat. It's a currently acceptable form of child abuse, in my opinion, to feed your kids what they are served in school, or in a fast-food restaurant.

My hope and belief is that one day we will look back at TV ads and shows of today and laugh at how ignorant we were, much like when we look back now at old cigarette commercials and TV shows and movies where doctors, e.g., are smoking cigarettes.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:38 AM

I can see people who eat junk food and drink soft drinks as living the good life.

Not everybody who eats junk food is obese.

I have lived in Greenville and I didn't notice anymore fat people compared to anywhere I have lived.

I want to know why people like you obsess over the decisions of others. why do you want to control people?

I would be curious as to how the government defines obesity? I wouldn't doubt they count people with have a little pot belly as obese in their statistics. How do they even get this information? It seems like private medical information.

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2012 at 03:08 AM..

Old 12-17-2012, 11:04 AM

179 posts, read 328,761 times
1. Have PE a mandatorily course every year up to 12 grade. Also make it a required course in college freshmen year.

2. Have state, counties, and cities work together for better bike paths, park systems, and running areas. This also requires raising the gas tax to pay for such measures.

3. Require high school graduation! There is no excuse why they only mandate until age 16.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:06 AM

4,213 posts, read 6,901,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Tesla View Post
I can see people who eat junk food and drink soft drinks as living the good life.

Not everybody who eats junk food is obese.

I have lived in Greenville and I didn't notice anymore fat people compared to anywhere I have lived.

I want to know why people like you obsess over the decisions of others. why do you want to control people?
I know you were talking to someone else but I'm going to respond anyway.

While I try not to meddle over the decisions of others (I have opinions but I don't publicly make a big deal about them hardly ever) it does start to become other peoples' problem when healthcare starts to become more globalized where people pay for overall health care yet only have control over their own health. So, while I try and stay out of it and don't try and control what other people do with their bodies, I can understand why some people do get frustrated at the unhealthy society we have become.

I will say though that SC has a perceptibly higher rate of overweight people (*to me*) than I was used to before moving here. Greenville itself hasn't ever seemed so bad (maybe it is an education thing and Greenville is one of the most educated areas in the state) but after living in NY, Charlotte, and Raleigh SC as a whole was a big shock on that front when moving here.

However, one thing I will say is that just because someone isn't obese also doesn't mean they aren't unhealthy. Weight is not the only important factor in peoples' health. Sadly, one of the biggest problems people have today is that they ONLY thing they associate with their health is their weight. The amount of younger people who aren't technically overweight (because they still have decent metabolism that helps keep the weight down) but are still VERY unhealthy for their age is increasing. Low muscle mass, diabetes, poor cardiovascular performance, mis-diagnosis of chronic-fatigue-syndrome due to poor diet and lack of exercise are all problems that can stay hidden if the only thing someone worries about is obesity.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:07 AM

I don't think PE should be a required class in colleges. That's an elective at best if taught at all.

I hated PE in high school cuz you get all sweaty and then you can't take a shower prior to attending classes for the rest of the day. I don' tthink PE classes will prevent peopel from eating what they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I know you were talking to someone else but I'm going to respond anyway.

While I try not to meddle over the decisions of others (I have opinions but I don't publicly make a big deal about them hardly ever) it does start to become other peoples' problem when healthcare starts to become more globalized where people pay for overall health care yet only have control over their own health. So, while I try and stay out of it and don't try and control what other people do with their bodies, I can understand why some people do get frustrated at the unhealthy society we have become.

I will say though that SC has a perceptibly higher rate of overweight people (*to me*) than I was used to before moving here. Greenville itself hasn't ever seemed so bad (maybe it is an education thing and Greenville is one of the most educated areas in the state) but after living in NY, Charlotte, and Raleigh SC as a whole was a big shock on that front when moving here.

However, one thing I will say is that just because someone isn't obese also doesn't mean they aren't unhealthy. Weight is not the only important factor in peoples' health. Sadly, one of the biggest problems people have today is that they ONLY thing they associate with their health is their weight. The amount of younger people who aren't technically overweight (because they still have decent metabolism that helps keep the weight down) but are still VERY unhealthy for their age is increasing. Low muscle mass, diabetes, poor cardiovascular performance, mis-diagnosis of chronic-fatigue-syndrome due to poor diet and lack of exercise are all problems that can stay hidden if the only thing someone worries about is obesity.
I think personal health matters are b/t an individual and their physician. There are too many Michelle Obamas (who l ooks like she could lose 30 lbs or so) out there in your face about what you can eat. I think it's annoying. People need to stay in their lane a little bit in our society. Everybody wanting to control other people these days.

Last edited by Yac; 12-18-2012 at 03:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area