Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 03:54 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,220,188 times

Advertisements

I am currently researching areas to move to, from Ohio.

I have been considering Raleigh, Winston Salem and Asheville, NC...also Knoxville Tenn. We need an area with a lot of manufacturing and white collar auto engineering jobs.

How does Greenville compare to the 3 NC cities above, in size and culture. We would like to be near culture, arts, etc, but not living in a city that is an island surrounded by a heavy bible-belt, or ugly and economically depressed smaller towns in the outskirts. We prefer not to live politically extreme areas where people constantly bring up guns, politics and religion.

I do like the proximity of Winston Salem and Raleigh to other close cities within their triangle regions.

Other than lower taxes, does SC and Greenville differ a lot from those NC cities? I realize that Asheville is a niche city that stands out from all others.

It seems that GV has a thriving auto manufacturing industry consisting of several companies?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,535,868 times
BMW has a plant in Greer, SC and there are lots of supporting companies that are here or coming to our state.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:18 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,611,482 times
Initial thoughts (re overall quality of life):

Raleigh metro > Greenville, SC/Upstate
Greenville, SC/Upstate = Knoxville, TN
Greenville, SC/Upstate >= Triad

I wouldn't try to compare Asheville, NC to any major Southeast metro area - it's vastly "different".

More later...

Old 02-10-2013, 07:09 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,473,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post

How does Greenville compare to the 3 NC cities above, in size and culture. We would like to be near culture, arts, etc, but not living in a city that is an island surrounded by a heavy bible-belt, or ugly and economically depressed smaller towns in the outskirts. We prefer not to live politically extreme areas where people constantly bring up guns, politics and religion.
This right here should make you reconsider Greenville. You will be asked continuously where you attend church, not if. Guns are advertised as free if you buy a car and well there is no point in mentioning politics, just look up the voting history.

Having lived in Asheville, Raleigh, and Greenville. I think you'd be much happier in the greater Raleigh area but jobs might be difficult for you. That is the only area Greenville would fit you. Its possible that in 10+ years Greenville could be a little less conservative as more people move in but I wouldn't move somewhere hoping for change. Also, there is virtually no difference in taxes for me between the two. Look up rates for most things between the counties you are considering. Its rather a wash.

Asheville is fantastic but there are no jobs as its all tourist based.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:28 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
This right here should make you reconsider Greenville. You will be asked continuously where you attend church, not if. Guns are advertised as free if you buy a car and well there is no point in mentioning politics, just look up the voting history.

Having lived in Asheville, Raleigh, and Greenville. I think you'd be much happier in the greater Raleigh area but jobs might be difficult for you. That is the only area Greenville would fit you. Its possible that in 10+ years Greenville could be a little less conservative as more people move in but I wouldn't move somewhere hoping for change. Also, there is virtually no difference in taxes for me between the two. Look up rates for most things between the counties you are considering. Its rather a wash.

Asheville is fantastic but there are no jobs as its all tourist based.
I've lived in Greenville for nearly 6 years now after being in Raleigh for 5 (And charlotte for longer before that). I think I've only been asked where I went to church MAYBE once the whole time I've been here in SC? It is conservative here for sure, but the level of it is overblown on this website I think. Maybe it's just the places I go/the circle of people I hang around with though as they are not super conservative.

I do agree that I enjoyed living in Raleigh more (Asheville is great too but I agree about the jobs); however, our time in Greenville has been good and we enjoy living here too. Not as good of an arts and music place as either Asheville or Raleigh though.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 PM

596 posts, read 938,182 times
I would think that if you go downtown Greenville a lot, it is a more fun place to live over Raleigh. Raleigh's downtown isn't that great.

Greenville has more auto related manufacturing job as well as Anderson 30 minutes away than those other ways.

I don't think most people in Greenville are going to bring up church to you. if you can't stand conservatives then you will probably be happier in certain areas of Raleigh like Cary or Chapel Hill or over in Asheville.

I would say Knoxville is going to be the most "redneck" of the areas you mentioned.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:51 PM

4,233 posts, read 6,913,427 times
I actually really like Raleigh's downtown. I love Greenville's downtown as well though so I'm not trying to knock it at all, but I enjoyed Raleigh's downtown and it has just continued to get even better lately (I'm still up there regularly)

Old 02-10-2013, 07:59 PM

well raleigh is ok but I know people who live in raleigh who think greenville's downtown is the bomb. Greenville's is much more unique I think.

Sounds like this person needs to get a job lined up first, i t hink moving to one fo these places and then hoping to get a manufacturing job is a pipe dream in this economy.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:43 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,220,188 times
I know a lot of the auto manufacturing and parts manufacturing has moved south to the Carolinas and eastern Tenn. What cities am I missing in my research? Right now I am trying to narrow it down to maybe 3 cities to visit before making a move. I see a lot of postings for engineers in various cities, but I cannot get a feel of where the largest concentration may be in the region.

Raleigh, Winston Salem, Knoxville and Greenville Tenn are on my short list. I think Knoxville may a tad too culturally isolated for what we want, coming from the north? Asheville looks very nice, but I have only seen a couple companies hiring engineers there.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:51 PM

greenville SC supposedly has the most engineers per capita in the country although i have a hard time beleving that, I would think either Huntsville AL or Hampton Roads VA does. greenville is an auto engineering area with BMW, Bosch, Clemson's ICAR research center in greenville, etc.

did you mean greenville SC? I don't know if have heard of greenville tenn.

Asheville is generally a pricy area for housing and not a lot of jobs up there outside of tourism and service stuff. greenville is less than 1 hour away from there and much more affordable and a better downtown area and more jobs.

if you are a militant liberal you will be happier in raleigh out of the areas you mention, specifically the Cary and CHapel Hill areas, although Chapel HIll is overpriced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area