Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 07:43 AM

596 posts, read 937,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
We were talking about the people of Greenville, not the people in the entertainment world.

But since you bring up Rush, he mentions God on every single show of his. He opens his show with a reference to God. Do you really listen to him?

"Talent on loan from God." - Rush Limbaugh, every single show he does

Is it possible for you to post something that doesn't contain an insult to the person you are responding to?
i think you are missing rush's sense of humor, and i don't think that comment is about religion. watch maher's show and it's just simply a militant hositlity toward religion. he is obsessed with it and i see that in your comments on here as well.

you insulted me brother, i responded back to you. don't play the victim card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2013, 08:02 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
i think you are missing rush's sense of humor, and i don't think that comment is about religion. watch maher's show and it's just simply a militant hositlity toward religion. he is obsessed with it and i see that in your comments on here as well.

you insulted me brother, i responded back to you. don't play the victim card.
I insulted your posts, which follow a distinct pattern of insulting other people.

You keep saying that you could care less what other people do or say, yet you keep responding to what people do and say, and indeed researching what other people have done and said.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I insulted your posts, which follow a distinct pattern of insulting other people.

You keep saying that you could care less what other people do or say, yet you keep responding to what people do and say, and indeed researching what other people have done and said.
who have i "insulted" other t han you and that furman guy? Both of you have picked a fight with me and called me absurd or silly. I just respond to that.

what research have I done on you. My comment that you responded to was not even in direct response to you and you personally attacked me for it, characterizing all my posts as absurd. All I did was point out that a lot of atheists are as pushy about their non-belief as a bible thumper is about his belief. I never even said you were one of those people. I thought it was an astute observation.

I won't talk to you again. You seem like an unhappy person and contentious for no reason. I do think you lie about stuff. I don't believe people are forcing their religion on you in greenville.

I don't care if you are an atheist. I don't have any set beliefs about the afterlife myself. I do know a lot of religious people and I know they aren't out to get you so I get annoyed with militant atheists start mischacterizing.

a lot of liberals are obsessed with identity politics, religion, race, gender, seuxality, class. it gets old. always trying to divide us along these lines.

Last edited by SwampFox35; 02-11-2013 at 08:16 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 08:22 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
who have i "insulted" other t han you and that furman guy? Both of you have picked a fight with me and called me absurd or silly. I just respond to that.

what research have I done on you. My comment that you responded to was not even in direct response to you and you personally attacked me for it, characterizing all my posts as absurd. All I did was point out that a lot of atheists are as pushy about their non-belief as a bible thumper is about his belief. I never even said you were one of those people. I thought it was an astute observation.

I won't talk to you again. You seem like an unhappy person and contentious for no reason. I do think you lie about stuff. I don't believe people are forcing their religion on you in greenville.

I don't care if you are an atheist. I don't have any set beliefs about the afterlife myself. I do know a lot of religious people and I know they aren't out to get you so I get annoyed with militant atheists start mischacterizing.

a lot of liberals are obsessed with identity politics, religion, race, gender, seuxality, class. it gets old. always trying to divide us along these lines.
You just insulted every Christian with your comments on this very thread. (Apparently if you are Christian, you are not as posh or as smart as an engineer, or yourself)

You insult people without even realizing it, with such rich condescension.

I have never claimed people are forcing their religion on me. They just talk about here an awful lot. That's what the OP asked about. That's what I answered. With complete honesty.

You have to have researched my posts, or lied about knowing about what I have posted about.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:28 AM

i don't think it is hard to insult people on this board, in my experience. lot of overly sensitive divas on here. I thought it was an opinion board though.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
Knoxville is no where close to Greenville. Half the city smells due to the paper plants. The city also has some of the worst air for breathing in the county for its size.
You must be confusing Knoxville with another city. I lived near Knoxville for over 10 years and don't remember smelling any paper plants there.

The air quality is bad there - mainly because the pollution from west of there is carried by the wind and settles in the valley as it hits the mountains to the east.

Knoxville is a good bit larger than Greenville and also a small bit less conservative.

Sounds like the OP isn't going to be happy anywhere that is conservative.

Better bets would be the Raleigh / Durham / Chapel Hill areas. Cost of living and taxes are a lot higher there but you have to pay for all that government somehow.......

Old 02-11-2013, 09:54 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
I've been posting on this specific sub-forum since '08 - I'm glad we have some varied posters here: notably Art123 (and even Saucystargazer LOL) who can give balance to the Upstate's cheerleaders. Jamiecta gives a great, well-balanced post above - she (or he?) is one of the few posters that has lived both in South and North Carolina. Now, with that said, new posters need to realize this is an opinion board; and, this sub-forum has numerous polarized opinions.

I've lived (or worked) in the span of the Upstate for a total of 8 years. I've met thousands of people on the job and have only been asked at most 5 times where I go to church. Perhaps it's my profession or the circle of friends I congregate with but religion has never been thrown in my face. I know (and am comfortable) that Greenville solidly lies in the "Bible Belt" - I'm OK with that - and, since I have 3 young children, I desire a more conservative area to raise a family.

Back on topic. The OP specifically mentions an interest/experience in the automotive industry. There are no major automotive plants in the state of North Carolina. BMW Manufacturing is headquartered in Spartanburg; Volkswagon in Chattanooga; and Nissan in Nashville. AL has numerous automotive plants including: Mercedes just east of Tuscaloosa; Honda east of Birmingham in Lincoln, and Hyundai near Montgomery. MS has one (or more) Toyota plants and GA has KIA.

The OP also states, "We would like to be near culture, arts, etc, but not living in a city that is an island surrounded by a heavy bible-belt, or ugly and economically depressed smaller towns in the outskirts." Unfortunately, this statement defines most metro areas in the South. Perhaps the exception being Asheville, NC - however, it has very few jobs and manufacturing is nearly non-existent. The OP continues, "We prefer not to live politically extreme areas where people constantly bring up guns, politics and religion." As noted above, one's experience will vary in the South.

As for taxes, the state of TN will have the least overall tax burden (unless you are one in the lowest tax brackets). For those that own property/home in the state of SC, one's overall tax burden should be lower than in NC. Additionally, SC does not tax groceries, has much lower gasoline taxes, and has no yearly auto inspection fees.

Last edited by drfranklin; 02-11-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 02-11-2013, 10:48 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,692 times
If you want a general idea of the population, the presidential election results for Greenville county give a general idea of the breakdown - 63% red to 35% blue. The only urbanish county that didn't lean for democrats in SC. (Richland County & Charleston County both went blue).

Old 02-11-2013, 11:18 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times
Just want to add, since I currently live in Raleigh, that I have encountered the same issues with regards to religion and churches. I just have learned to go with the flow and don't let it bother me.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:08 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
As for state taxes, the state of TN will have the least overall tax burden (unless you are one in the lowest tax brackets). For those that own property/home in the state of SC, one's overall tax burden should be lower than in NC. Additionally, SC does not tax groceries, has much lower gasoline taxes, and has no yearly auto inspection fees.
I think drfranklin's latest post is one of the most rational, fair, and balanced I've seen in this particular discussion. While I don't disagree with his tax burden comparison of SC vs. NC, I do have one small bone to pick .... for the life of me I can't understand why NC's state inspection fee is so frequently mentioned as part of NC's tax "burden." At most it's a minor inconvenience... 15 minutes and $13.50. I just had my car inspected today as part of my transition back to being a NC resident.

A much bigger issue, to me, is the highway usage tax (not property tax) levied when moving to NC and getting a new license plate. Just got back from getting my NC license plate and the hwy usage tax for my 2010 Nissan Rogue was $150. Altogether, including title, taxes and fees, I paid $253 to get my NC plate. Even though $30 of that was for an optional Blue Ridge Parkway tag, that is still a hefty price tag. (Note: other than the tag fee, most of the $253 is a one-time, "welcome to NC" cost)

OTOH, even though our real estate taxes were slightly lower in Greenville than in NC, we paid higher taxes on our vehicles in SC. And our car insurance was higher in SC.

Last edited by roadpony; 02-11-2013 at 03:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area