Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 10:38 PM

47 posts, read 120,534 times

Advertisements

I am currently living in the upper Northwest, about as far northwest as you can get in the US. I like my job working for the Dept. of Corrections but the area is not a place I want to retire. I moved her to help my parents and they are at the point they are ok without me being there.

I have been looking at prisons in the South Carolina and Georgia areas. My family is from Georgia but the Georgia DOC pays horrible. There are a couple of prisons in the northwest part of the state that have some openings.

One of the main reasons I don't want to live here anymore is the rain. I live in a Rain Forest, the Hoh. It rains 330 days out of the year and it's cold most of the year. I didn't realize how badly it would effect my health.

What are the areas around Greenville and Spartanburg like? How about south of there by Union and Clinton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2013, 04:15 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,560 times
When you look at pay rates, you have to look at the overall cost of living, and see if it's going to work for you. This applies regardless of where you go. You might think the pay in New York City is great- until you see what it costs to live there. Pay rates are going to be low in the southeast US, but so is the cost of living.

Compared to the PNW, it's warm here, sometimes very warm. It's sunny much of the time, with winter being more likely to have a day or two of dreary weather before the sun comes out again. In the summer, it is hot. Last summer, it hit an official 107 degrees, an all-time record. Of course, that is the exception, but summers are definitely very hot. You're generally going to find fans of the upstate here, including me. It is a nice area, depending upon what your wants and needs are. You NEED to visit, preferably several times, and spend some time here. No place is ideal for everybody. Also, ask us some more specific questions so we can address your wants and needs.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:22 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,533,060 times
If you think Georgia DOC pays horrible you probably will feel the same about SC DOC pay. If you want to move to an area with a low cost of living you are going to have to accept those low rates of pay. Why do you think COL is so low here? It's because the pay is low.

Old 03-30-2013, 02:49 PM

14 posts, read 25,912 times
Average incomes are lower in West Virginia, but I think SC may be 2nd lowest in the whole country.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:39 PM

1,998 posts, read 4,610,403 times
SC's median household income ranks #42 (as of 2011, according to the US Census Bureau).

Old 03-31-2013, 05:59 AM

14 posts, read 25,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
SC's median household income ranks #42 (as of 2011, according to the US Census Bureau).
Ah, SC was next to last on a Atlas I was looking at yesterday, but the atlas was showing just the southeast states (Mississippi to Tennessee to DC).

Thanks for correcting it.

But among SC and Georgia, SC was lower.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:46 PM

47 posts, read 120,534 times
Thanks for all the great information. The cost of living here is horribly high but it's mostly do to the fact that we are almost 2 hours from the nearest biggest city and it takes a bridge and ferry to get here. I have been to South Carolina many times, my grandfather and grandmother lived in Occonee (sp?) county by Walhalla for many years. I spent my summers there in the 70's and 80's and visited well into the 90's before they passed. I also lived in Missouri for a little over a decade so I am familiar with the 100+ temps.

Thanks again, I'm sending my resume in, wish me luck!

Old 04-03-2013, 04:35 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,866 times
One difference I personally noticed coming from the wester-coast was that areas of (let say) affluence, are smack dap next to areas/neighborhoods of non-affluence (trailer parks or some dude with a 1,5 wide), versus complete zones/towns of separation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area