Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2013, 04:52 PM

28 posts, read 112,150 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
I've been reading through numerous threads about others questioning a move to the Greenville area, so, my apologies if this is redundant. I have done my fair share of traveling, grew up in CA, spent the last 6 years in Northern CO, and just moved to NJ to help out with family for a minute. I've been in NJ 2 months now, and this is definitely not my spot! So I started doing some research to try and find the place that is - so far, the Greenville area is looking super interesting...
I just got my degree in Welding Technology and love that the manufacturing industry is a big deal out there. I also love that the mountains and lakes are so close by and the cost of living seems to be just right for me.

So heres what I'm looking for -I have a son in 6th grade, who has special needs. I need an idea of good schools with great special education programs.
Also, I would ideally like to live in a place that is quiet - like very few neighbors - big yards - open space - nothing fancy-pants. An older home with no bells or whistles is fine...but still somewhat close to town for work...like 20ish minutes...does an area like this exsist? I am planning a quick weekend trip in the very near future to spend a bit o time driving around and getting a feel for the area and the people before I make any official decisions, and some suggestions on whereabouts to look would be awesome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 07:34 AM

411 posts, read 853,640 times
There are plenty of places within 20 minutes that would fit into your description. I think you would need to plan based off of finding a school that is a good fit for your son. Here is a flyer from Greenville County Schools that describes their programming:

http://www.greenville.k12.sc.us/Scho.../spec_need.pdf

You may try calling the number on the flyer to get a better idea of where you guys will want to land.

Good luck.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:11 AM

169 posts, read 439,067 times
Sounds like travler's rest might be a good fit for you

Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM

298 posts, read 687,233 times
GE is always looking to hire welders. May be a good place to investigate.

https://xjobs.brassring.com/tgwebhos...94_5346&GQId=0

Old 05-02-2013, 02:21 PM

Thanks all! Does Travelers Rest tend to be about the same rent-wise as what I'm seeing in Greenville, Anderson, ect? Also, what can anyone tell me about the music scene in the area? Also, thanks for the tip on GE - I'm definitely gonna land a job before I head out...that's the last thing I need to worry about after doing a major move...so, find a school, land a job, get a place...I'm really looking forward to my upcoming visit!

Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,863,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootlessBlue View Post
Thanks all! Does Travelers Rest tend to be about the same rent-wise as what I'm seeing in Greenville, Anderson, ect? Also, what can anyone tell me about the music scene in the area? Also, thanks for the tip on GE - I'm definitely gonna land a job before I head out...that's the last thing I need to worry about after doing a major move...so, find a school, land a job, get a place...I'm really looking forward to my upcoming visit!
As regards the music scene, in Greenville, you are going to be hard pressed to find a solid music scene. For that, you should look to Athens, GA, which is just about an hour and a half away.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:00 PM

That's sad to hear, though not surprising to me. What are the people like? I am not expecting it to be a melting pot of diversity down there, but I'm hoping people are typically friendly and open minded?...I am a single mom and heavily tattooed. I'm used to being looked at to some degree, though still irritating, but I don't wanna move some where that I'm gonna be the only funny lookin person in the city. lol...the lack of music scene makes me nervous for that reason...

Old 05-03-2013, 06:35 AM

411 posts, read 853,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootlessBlue View Post
That's sad to hear, though not surprising to me. What are the people like? I am not expecting it to be a melting pot of diversity down there, but I'm hoping people are typically friendly and open minded?...I am a single mom and heavily tattooed. I'm used to being looked at to some degree, though still irritating, but I don't wanna move some where that I'm gonna be the only funny lookin person in the city. lol...the lack of music scene makes me nervous for that reason...
There are A LOT of transplants in the area. With so many colleges/universities and international/national companies, you get a fair amount of out-of-towners. The general rule is if you don't make yourself obnoxious, then you'll do fine. We have a plenty of tattoo parlors so there is a bit of a culture here, though most get the obligatory one or two and that's it. You may have a harder time fitting into a small town around here than Greenville proper. Travelers Rest while somewhat more progressive than some small towns I know, is still a small town. You may have better luck locating in the city. Some areas of the Overbrook neighborhood and the area where Wade Hampton meets Stone Ave are slightly more "edgy" than some places. The rent/house prices tend to be higher but not as high as some. The Pendleton Street Arts District will be a bit more edgier as well, but I'm not sure I would want to live there with a kid, if you get my drift.

I wouldn't say that we have no music scene whatsoever. Places like the Handlebar and the Blind Horse draw in good variety of smaller acts while the BI-LO Center and Charter Amphitheatre in Simpsonville pull in national known acts. For example, Aaron Lewis will be playing the Blind Horse soon and Blake Shelton just dropped in there one night a couple of weeks ago. The Black Keys and the Flaming Lips will be playing Charter in July. And then you have scores of local bands that play restaurants and clubs, so we're not totally devoid of a music scene. You can always find live music on the weekends. And if you get bored, we're a quick jaunt to Charlotte (1.5 hours) or Atlanta (2 hours).

Last edited by oldhousejunkie; 05-03-2013 at 06:44 AM..

Old 05-03-2013, 01:44 PM

You guys are a wealth of info! As far as living vs. playing, I do want to be able to live somewhere quiet - my days of being ruckus are long since passed. I want to be able to go home after work to a place that is quiet, with enough space around it that feels somewhat private and where I can have a vegetable garden and play my banjo without feeling like I'm irritating neighbors. lol. But on the rare occasion that I get a night off from being mom, I want to be somewhat close to a cool dive bar or two where I could have some social contact with like-minded people and hopefully see shows that cater to my interests...hopefully I wouldn't HAVE to drive two hours away to do that, but so be it if thats where my music can be found!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area