Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 11:45 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times

Advertisements

There is a nationwide campaign and march against Monsanto Corporation (who gave us Agent Orange, Round-up, rBGH and more) tomorrow. Everyone is wearing red and bringing signs or printing out flyers.

Here are the details of the march in Greenville.
March Against Monsanto - Greenville, SC

(The URL needs to be spelled incorrectly like the above to access the site.)

There are some great flyers you can print to hand out at the Center for Food Safety website. Go to CenterforFoodSafety.org. On the site click on "Publications and Resources" in the top right. Then "Fact Sheets" then choose the Labeling Fact Sheet. It is double sided 8.5 x 11 inches.

They also have an action alert now where you can alert Senator Tim Scott to let him know you want him to support the amendment that would repeal the Monsanto Protection Act.

OrganicConsumers.org has pages on their site for each state and for SC there is a place where we can contact state legislators and urge them to pass legislation to make labeling of foods containing GMOs mandatory in SC. Check it out! That would be cool. Don't you think? Even just a label on all foods that are not proven to not be genetically engineered that said "Danger: May contain GMOs!" Or even "May contain GMOs" would help a lot.

GMOs are nasty! Jeffrey Smith the recognized expert on the subject has found that tests done show some GMOs after ingested turn into little pesticide factories in your stomach and keep on doing harm making it hard for you to assimilate nutrients and digest food -- even make you allergic to organic food!
His site is ResponsibleTechnology.org. He's got fantastic info there too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XN_81YLSUE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 06:35 AM

672 posts, read 1,418,196 times
How was the turnout at the Greenville protest? Sounds like there was a good showing around the world.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:10 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
"Hundreds" Seems like a great showing for such a conservative town.

Hundreds of Greenville activists participate in international protest | Greenville News - WYFF Home

Old 05-26-2013, 10:45 AM

22 posts, read 51,363 times
So sad I missed this! I didn't hear anything about it at all. Would have loved to participate.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:55 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
"Hundreds" Seems like a great showing for such a conservative town.

Hundreds of Greenville activists participate in international protest | Greenville News - WYFF Home
And yet again, you feel compelled to turn this into a political issue. Many conservatives such as ourselves know how truly evil Monsanto is and help spread the word. This has ZERO to do with a left/right paradigm and everything to do with a conglomerate that is literally creating Frankenfood that is poisoning our bodies. Your god Barak Obama appointed the former head of Monsanto to juicy position with the FDA, but since he has a (D) after his name, you'll remain silent. It's really sad that people like you have to see every single issue as a left/right us vs them situation; sad indeed.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:34 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,794,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
And yet again, you feel compelled to turn this into a political issue. Many conservatives such as ourselves know how truly evil Monsanto is and help spread the word. This has ZERO to do with a left/right paradigm and everything to do with a conglomerate that is literally creating Frankenfood that is poisoning our bodies. Your god Barak Obama appointed the former head of Monsanto to juicy position with the FDA, but since he has a (D) after his name, you'll remain silent. It's really sad that people like you have to see every single issue as a left/right us vs them situation; sad indeed.
What I meant is conservative people generally don't protest in the streets as change is not generally a part of conservatism. Status quo is. Even the recent Tea Party movement is basically a protest against change, a desire to return to the old status quo.

Yes, everyone should be outraged by this issue.

And, yes, protesting and marching in an effort to raise awareness and eventually change the laws is getting involved in a political issue. I didn't have to do anything to "turn this into a political issue." It already is one. Lindsey Graham promptly put out a statement in favor of Monsanto and GMO's.

Having said all that, Monsanto has given nearly twice as much $$$ to Senate Republicans than Democrats, despite a Democratic majority. And Republicans have a much worse track record as far as protecting large corporations like Monsanto, than do Democrats. Although there are plenty of guilty Dem's on this particular issue, including President Obama.

While it will take a bipartisan effort to change the laws, many more Democrats in Congress support food labeling than Republicans. It's liberal Democrats leading the way on this issue, but it's great to have some conservative support as well!

Like you said, our food supply should be a concern for everyone.

What's REALLY sad, my friend, is that here is an issue that we agree upon, apparently, and you respond in the manner and tone that you did.

Last edited by Art123; 05-26-2013 at 02:29 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrocker View Post
How was the turnout at the Greenville protest? Sounds like there was a good showing around the world.
It was really good! Too bad it started after the farmer's market. It seemed like when we got downtown having marched from the University Ridge St parking lot that there were more of us than there were of who was left downtown.

I wasn't carrying a sign but was offering a free shopping list on how to avoid GMOs. I asked people if they wanted a " free safe food shopping guide" and thought everyone would want one but was surprised when handing them out that the majority couldn't deign themselves to take one. They would say "no thanks" and give you a strange look like I had 3 heads or something. There were a few, on the other hand that actually came running after me wanting one and a few for their friends. So maybe there is hope......

I think here in Greenville, the majority don't care what is in their food just as long as it "tastes good". Too many subscribe to the "Oh well, you're gonna die from something...." attitude. It doesn't dawn on them that they could have even BETTER SAFER food ( and eliminate health problems they may be suffering from now) if they just learned about the issue and voted with their pocket books and wallets and started avoiding the companies that are notorious for using GMOs and started to learn what some of the ingredients are that are primarily genetically engineered. The others would quickly follow suit and stop using GMOs. Especially now -- there are 65 known health problems associated with ingesting them. Unlike pesticides that do damage once, GMOs are the "gift that keeps on giving" and set up a virtual pesticide factory in your stomach making it harder and harder for you to digest and assimilate and absorb nutrients from your food.

I think it would be cool if Greenville became the first GMO Free city in the country. Wouldn't something like that be consistent with all the other supposedly "green" initiatives here? I think it would be cool to get restaurants to stop using foods that contain GMO for starters. Next it would be cool to pass a state law requiring every grocery store to have a GMO FREE zone. So if the mfrs won't label, at least the retailers could comply and help their customers by separating out the good from the bad.

People would be SHOCKED to learn that 3/4 of the contents of typical Bi-Lo or Publix is comprised of food with GMO ingredients. It isn't just all things corn and corn derived and soy and soy derived it is : baking powder, canola oil,citric acid, Vit B-12, lecithin, lysine, malt and malt syrup, milk powder, aspartame, nutrasweet and Equal, sugar unless it says "pure cane sugar", tamari, tofu, Vit E., whey and zanthum gum. In fact cream cheese with xantham gum in it will keep it mold free for many months if not years in your fridge as I was shocked to discover when I got some from a bagel place that had it in it. I used some, put the rest away and forgot about it. Discovered it when cleaning out the fridge months later. Opened it expecting to see fuzzy green mold everywhere and it looked like I'd opened it the day before. There was not even a trace of mold.

If anyone wants one, here is what I was passing out. Also there is a free ap you can get.

Non-GMO Shopping Guide

Institute for Responsible Technology

Old 05-28-2013, 04:23 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
Please allow me to say this. I sure wish more people would protest the murder of 3,000 babies a day by way of abortion each day. Wouldn't it be great if Greenville became the first abortion free city in the country? Again, sorry, I could not resist. I guess you can say I am more passionate about life than I am about GMO's. Never heard of GMO's until today. Before you ask, yes, I am against the death penalty.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,100,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
Please allow me to say this. I sure wish more people would protest the murder of 3,000 babies a day by way of abortion each day. Wouldn't it be great if Greenville became the first abortion free city in the country? Again, sorry, I could not resist. I guess you can say I am more passionate about life than I am about GMO's. Never heard of GMO's until today. Before you ask, yes, I am against the death penalty.
Why not both? I'm pro life and against GMO's. In fact, both are major pro life issues. GMO's have been linked to obesity, autism and all sorts or neurological and health issues. If your're a Christian, and I believe from previous posts that you are, then you should be adamantly opposed to these Frankenfood monstrosities. God made our food correct the first time, we don't need "improved" food made in a laboratory. There is no reason for dyes to be in our foods, why is flour "bleached"? This is absurd.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furmanpals View Post
I can't believe you have never heard of genetic engineering of food. Haven't you ever heard of Bovine Growth hormone? Milk from cows treated with rBGh is genetic engineering. Monsanto lobbied states for that way back in the 1980s or 1990s.

GMOs eventually kill a lot more people than babies that die from abortions -- not that any deaths are ok. The reason that you haven't heard of it is too many South Carolinians are ENTIRELY too naive; trusting and sheltered from what is going on in the world outside of their state borders. It really is a shame. I guess for them, ignorance is bliss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area