Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:17 PM

61 posts, read 218,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
I know that when I was working with JM Smith, they were self-insured, and they required me to do a complete physical (Including CBC) and if I didn't, they wouldn't provide health insurance for me.

It didn't affect premiums at all, simply because I paid no premiums.. 100% covered by employer.. BUT.. What they were checking for was high blood pressure, diabetes, and things like that to be proactive.. It's MUCH cheaper for them to pay for your monthly supply of BP medicine than it is to pay for your care from a cerebral hemorrhage caused by high blood pressure. MOST times.. The insurer/company never knows the results of the test.. That's still between you and your doctor.

Whether the OP is purchasing insurance direct, or whether this is a requirement of the employer... That's what I haven't figured out.. I'd say it's a little stranger if BCBS themselves are requiring it than if it's the employer requiring it.
from what I`ve learned today it is the employer that is requiring it. Main thing is ,I don`t do needles at all. I don`t want to loose my health coverage from it but it looks like I`m gonna be forced to loose my insurance. I really don`t want someone invading my privacy and my body as I can make healthy choices on my own. But,mainly where does this end,microchipping and other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 03:32 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,692 times
I also never let anyone take photographs of me! My soul is mine!

Unless you use only cash, there is enough data out there about you to evaluate if you're at risk for heart disease or diabetes.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:55 PM

843 posts, read 1,432,361 times
So you are willing to completely give up at least partially funded health care because you don't want to deal with one needle prick?

Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcatp View Post
So you are willing to completely give up at least partially funded health care because you don't want to deal with one needle prick?

I can see both sides of it, to a point.

Assuming this is a self-insured situation, not employer mandated, there's no way that your insurer isn't going to know the results of the physical (Which.. I am also making the assumption that is what this winds up being).. So.. You do their required physical, it diagnoses hypertension.. Yeah, like they're not going to raise your rates because of that. They might not do it THIS go-round, but come next renewal.. You can bank on it.

If it's employer-mandated.. Then what's likely happening is that the insurer has told them that IF all their employees do a 'wellness check' (Which is probably what this is called), then they'll cut them some slack on their premiums..

I'd be much more uncomfortable with it in example 1 above.. Technically, it's something that they shouldn't have to require.. I mean, everyone, myself included (I get sick once in a blue moon, donate platelets every other week where my BP and Cholesterol and hemoglobin get checked, and technically, an AIDS/Hepatitis/whatever the hell else The Blood Connection tests all donors for is done).. Should have a physical with a CBC.. Probably every 3 years or so. Less healthy people more often.. Now, are they going to throw out that if you check out in perfect health they'll lower your premium? Not much chance of that happening..

I probably wouldn't be happy about being 'forced' to do it, either in that case, BUT.. You still have to look at it as sticking your head in the sand. I don't know about it so I can't worry about it. Listen.. I'm researching my family tree now, and do you want to know how many death certificates there are for "Cerebral Hemorrhage"? It's not a small number. Any nurses/doctors that are on here can go on and on about how much cheaper it is to treat hypertension vs a stroke.

If it's the second example.. I've been through that, and since they aren't sharing any info with the employer.. I really don't have a problem with it.

Of course.. As I said.. Every other week donating platelets and have been doing it for 15 years.. Since back in the days when you had a large bore needle stuck in BOTH arms for an hour and a half... So, I'm not exactly needle-phobic, either.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:57 PM

170 posts, read 355,970 times
I'm curious glhshelby, what is your age?

Old 08-30-2013, 04:54 AM

843 posts, read 1,432,361 times
CNCGirl he says in one of his later posts that it is employer mandated. So the title is a little misleading because he isn't purchasing insurance straight from BCBS of SC but that is the plan his employer is offering their employees.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:09 AM

557 posts, read 865,031 times
According to this story More U.S. employers link health insurance policies to medical tests this is the new normal in health care.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:34 AM

61 posts, read 218,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCGirl View Post
I'm curious glhshelby, what is your age?
41 and I`ve been stuck with needles about 3 times that I remember

Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM

17,587 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glhshelby View Post
41 and I`ve been stuck with needles about 3 times that I remember
No! Hot!

Take your finger out of there.

Don't lick that.

Get that out of your mouth.

Don't paint the dog.

Just a few other things you really shouldn't have to be told.

I think you probably should lighten up about it a bit in this case. Don't take this as me saying that the insurance company/your employer are being all altruistic about this, after all, the reason they are doing this is to keep their costs down.. It just so happens that keeping you healthy keeps their costs down. But, let's be honest about it.. You SHOULD be getting a checkup regularly anyway. The fact that you're being 'forced' is likely the issue here, and.. In this case, really, I think you do have to just get over it.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,692 times
If all they want is for you to know your cholesterol there are pinprick blood tests that literally take a drop of blood from your fingertip and can tell you a bunch of stuff.

Then they clone you and replace you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area