Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:39 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,267 times

Advertisements

Also Look at Cresent and McDaniel area. A nice home,older traditional 2 story is for sale that I saw recently. Closer to downtown that the other streets. I'll drive by and give you the scoop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:09 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Doc View Post
We just moved here from Asheville, NC and and we took $50,000 less than the "realtors" said our home should have sold for. We had to keep lowering price until we could compete with new homes and we had fairly new home and 1acre lot. Less buyers from other areas selling their homes.
Price and location are everything and you are competing with many new home builders who are discounting their "NEW" homes from $25-$50k.
So while I lost on the Asheville end I made it back on the Greenville end. Existing home sellers are not reasonable with their asking prices in general in a depressed market with a glut of new homes.
Expect to eventually find a buyer and they will set the price because a home is worth what a potential abuyer will pay when you absolutely have to sell it.
Not what a realtor estimates.
I completely agree with this post. The home I mentioned earlier that I purchased in 1987 was on the market for years. The first time I listed it through a real estate agent who said "don't take a loss" when I was offered just a few thousand less than what I paid for it. Then I was even willing to sell and lose my downpayment, but it was too late. To those of you who sold in a few weeks, or even a few months, count your blessings. There are a number of reasons that can happen. For example, I will be looking for a home in a certain price range with some features that are extremely important to me. So if such a home is for sale when I'm ready to buy, that owner might sell it the first day! LOL

Off-topic a little, many real estate people are very knowledgeable. However, as with financial advisors, you need to make sure you look at every situation through your own eyes and nobody else's. 7 years later I am still crying about changing something after a financial advisor convinced me I was wrong. You've got to go with your gut and assess the situation. If you're religious or spiritual and believe there is something more powerful in the universe than your own voice, then pray about it. Listening to that quiet voice inside sometimes guides you down the right path. I wish I did that more often in life.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:18 PM

Also if I waS BUYING A HOME HERE I would really low ball my offers, there are too many homes that are on the market. If they said No, I'd move on to the next one! Several of the homes that I have seen are really over priced for what they have to offer. particularly in the Augusta rd area. IMO

Old 02-18-2008, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,275 times
I take that back its just:

http://www.greenvillehomedeals.com

Old 02-18-2008, 04:22 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southerngentleman View Post
Also if I waS BUYING A HOME HERE I would really low ball my offers, there are too many homes that are on the market. If they said No, I'd move on to the next one! Several of the homes that I have seen are really over priced for what they have to offer. particularly in the Augusta rd area. IMO
Yes, I agree with you too. Although if I find what I feel is my "dream house" I wouldn't pass it up over a few thousand $$.

One thing I notice is that the houses on the For Sale By Owner sites are priced higher than the MLS. Usually it's the other way around. I like older homes with charm as long as they've been maintained and have relatively new major renovations (i.e., roof, HVAC, windows) but I'm starting to lean toward the new homes. Some builders are offering lots of nice incentives.

EDIT: Oops - sorry. Just remembered this started out to be a post by a homeowner trying to sell. Don't mean to step on anyone's toes.

Last edited by justNancy; 02-18-2008 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: add comment

Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickedTN View Post
Thanks Stacia1,
I too have been searching the internet for awhile and will be arriving in Greenville next week to find a house. I hadn't seen that website.

I'll be curious to see how long some of the houses on my list have been on the market. I'd like to live fairly close to downtown, maybe in the Augusta Road area.
That home I spoke of is on corner of Cresent and McDaniel listed by coldwell banker ,they also have another nice home just off Mcdaniel (backing up to McDaniel) Also There is a Nice subdivision off North Main St ,Which is another Ares that you MAy want to look into.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:58 AM

548 posts, read 1,979,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Proof? Something tells me you're not telling the whole truth.
What makes you think he's not. We have one home in my neighborhood (Eastside wonderful neighborhood) that's been for sale for well over a year. It's been fixed up as far as I can tell since I saw a dumpster there taking out carpeting, kitchen cabinets etc. The problem...price. Some think their homes are worth a certain amount and there is no convincing them otherwise. The problem maybe they put too much money in the renovations. See it all the time. Just because we are fairly low in the foreclosure situation doesn't mean houses aren't sitting. Some can wait it out and see if someone bites at the higher price but others if they need to move quickly will have to adjust.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:14 AM

548 posts, read 1,979,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruikshl View Post
Well as a person who's moved alot there are some ugly houses out there and people with bad taste that is why we buy new.
Ugly homes as in the house itself or in furnishings? It amazes me that people can't look beyond furnishings and paint when buying a home. Most things can be changed before you move in such as paint and carpeting by asking for a "redecorating" allowance to cover getting someone to come in and do it. In a falling market, unless you plan to stay a while, buying new isn't always a good idea. If you buy an older home you may have more room to negotiate the price.

Just my opinion.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
What makes you think he's not. We have one home in my neighborhood (Eastside wonderful neighborhood) that's been for sale for well over a year. It's been fixed up as far as I can tell since I saw a dumpster there taking out carpeting, kitchen cabinets etc. The problem...price. Some think their homes are worth a certain amount and there is no convincing them otherwise. The problem maybe they put too much money in the renovations. See it all the time. Just because we are fairly low in the foreclosure situation doesn't mean houses aren't sitting. Some can wait it out and see if someone bites at the higher price but others if they need to move quickly will have to adjust.
Thank you Janrey! Here is one case in point:Rockwood court, sat empty as long as we have been in town,except for one home which is for sale again. Homes for Sale in Rockwood Pointe, Greenville, South Carolina $496,000 (http://homes.point2.com/US/South-Carolina/Greenville-County/Greenville/Rockwood-Pointe/911953-Real-Estate.aspx - broken link) .
There is another home on Augusta 3rd house past Rice St been for sale as long as we have been here, new never lived in. Also on Augusta, across from the school there is a house that has been for sale since we moved here. I drive past them everyday. Need more proof!G-man

Old 02-22-2008, 04:03 PM

32 posts, read 156,947 times
Default Days on Market

As an agent, I will tell you that Greenville's market is rather healthy. Three weeks is not a lot of time considering our average days on market are around 95. You should contact your agent if you need to have more showings. An experienced agent knows where you should be priced. If you have a problem with the price range they tell you is right, gfo look at your comps! Most times, you'll actually see for yourself that your home is a notch up or down on the comp. Have is showroom ready and spotless form the exterior in. The kitchen, bathrooms, and no clutter will be a big benefit!!

We do get a lot of tire kickers who come into the area just to see what we have available or folks considering a relocation tot he area who have to see homes....those are the ones that "just started looking" for the most part.

Price it right and they will come! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area