Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2015, 08:07 AM

13 posts, read 18,913 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My family is moving to the area later this month and are trying to decide to relocate to Greer or Simpsonville and would love some input from locals. We have two young boys so good schools are a must and also want to be close to parks and outdoor activities. We also do not want to be too far of a drive to downtown Greenville. We have visited both towns and like both so would love to hear what others would choose if they had to decide between the two? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2015, 08:38 AM

123 posts, read 241,041 times
There are many threads on this topic. As a new member you should learn to always search existing topics and read through them before starting a new identical discussion. Then if you have an unanswered specific question you can post a new thread.

Old 05-10-2015, 06:46 PM

158 posts, read 180,532 times
Yogurtjoe welcome to the forum. Be patient not everyone is a jerk like the guy that posted above me. There will be useful information posted by people that have experience in both areas.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Welcome, Yogurtjoe.

As you have visited both cities of Greer and Simpsonville, could you explain in more detail what you liked and disliked in your visits?

Both Greer and Simpsonville are good and growing cities. Simpsonville has the edge in retail and entertainment.

Old 05-11-2015, 07:00 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jswerve View Post
Yogurtjoe welcome to the forum. Be patient not everyone is a jerk like the guy that posted above me. There will be useful information posted by people that have experience in both areas.
He wasn't being a jerk - if you search, there is a wealth of information already in this forum on the topic. Looking at past queries will likely yield more info than starting a new topic on a thread that has been discussed many times before.

I'd likely pick the outskirts of Greer over Simpsonville for a number of reasons, but those might not match the OPs search criteria.

The elementary schools in both areas tend to be good. There is a wide swath of area with both a Simpsonville and Greer address, so if schools are a top priority, I would suggest looking at school attendance zones instead. Top quality high schools are not as common as elementary schools in this area so I'd look for homes in good high school zones first (i.e. Mauldin, Riverside, Eastside, Wade Hampton, Blue Ridge, etc.)

Old 05-13-2015, 07:41 PM

13 posts, read 18,913 times
Thanks for the input. I read some of the other threads. I specifically am looking to get perspective on the differences between the two areas. I am looking for a town with a neighborhood vibe that I can run through the neighborhoods and hopefully have parks close by for the kids. I hate traffic so would like to live in an area that is not too congested but not too far from downtown. I saw houses that liked in Shenadoah Farms (Simpsonville) but the community seemed isolated to itself. I would like some flow to the neighborhoods if that makes sense. I know schools are good in both areas but could anybody give me input on Downtown Greer vs. Downtown Simpsonville. Thanks

Old 05-16-2015, 09:59 PM

684 posts, read 1,185,979 times
Your best bet is to go to the closest walmart to each neighborhood and watch.

Old 05-18-2015, 07:45 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,291,047 times
Greer has more of a downtown than Simpsonville.

Simpsonville has a nice park and I don't think there is anything similar in Greer.

A lot of the growth in Greenville County in the last 20 years has been in the Simpsonville area so traffic out that way si some of the worst in the area. Of course, compared to many larger cities, it still isn't bad.

There isn't going to be flow between neighborhoods in either area unless you buy a house in the old mill section of Greer. Both areas have a lot of recent subdivisions, with each having streets isolated to the individual subdivision.

As I said before, both "Simpsonville" and "Greer" addresses cover a wide area outside the city limits of both. Schools vary a lot within this large area, so make sure you check the school assignments for each individual property you are considering. Some of the schools in those areas are average but not excellent.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:03 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,172 times
I'd go with Greer, personally, mostly because I prefer the northern part of Greenville county to the southern part, and because the prices are generally lower. Simpsonville real estate seems inflated to me.

Greer and the nearby areas are more established (except possibly for the newer sub-divisions), so you're more likely to find that "flow" you're looking for.

Greer has at least a few parks and also has a dog park and a water park nearby. Paris Mountain is pretty close too for a more natural park.

Agree with WhitewaterVol about traffic, plus there are more ways to get in and out of Greer than Simpsonville to help avoid traffic.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:12 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
I do not recall Greer having a water park unless you are thinking about Otter Creek Waterpark at Northside Park in Greenville or Shipwreck Cove in Duncan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area