Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 PM

36 posts, read 111,445 times

Advertisements

I am currently amassing the numerous documents SC requires to obtain a new drivers license. While attempting to follow their process, I was looking for information on how vehicle property tax is calculated for counties. I think it is by the value of the vehicle and maybe the mileage too. What is used to determine the value? Edmunds? Kelly BB? Home brewed county charts? Is it a percentage of the current value? Is there a calculator online somewhere or is it privileged info for county eyes only? Just would like to know.
I believe I have all the other paperwork needed; title, insurance, passport, marriage cert., blood tests, and x-rays.
TIA for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 AM

298 posts, read 687,233 times
You can call the Greenville County Assessor and the will tell you the tax in advance of the actual registration of the vehicle.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM

Called the assessor's office and they charge $230 per $10000. The chart they use for vehicle value is put out by the Dept of Revenue. Not sure at this time whether that chart is available online or elsewhere.
From the SC property tax publication:"Motor vehicles
are valued in accordance with nationally recognized publications of value (except
that the value may not exceed 95% of the prior year’s value) from which discounts
are allowed for high mileage."

So Kelly BB or Edmund's publications I guess.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:49 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Go pay your taxes first. DMV can't issue a tag/registration until they are paid.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:03 AM

So does all this need to be done before a SC driver's license is applied for? I know you need insurance from a company that does business in SC.

Old 02-06-2014, 09:12 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,185,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklook1800 View Post
I am currently amassing the numerous documents SC requires to obtain a new drivers license. While attempting to follow their process, I was looking for information on how vehicle property tax is calculated for counties. I think it is by the value of the vehicle and maybe the mileage too. What is used to determine the value? Edmunds? Kelly BB? Home brewed county charts? Is it a percentage of the current value? Is there a calculator online somewhere or is it privileged info for county eyes only? Just would like to know.
I believe I have all the other paperwork needed; title, insurance, passport, marriage cert., blood tests, and x-rays.
TIA for any tips.

You forgot, you're first born if there's one available, otherwise they'll take an appendage.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:52 AM

826 posts, read 1,126,560 times
Quote:
So does all this need to be done before a SC driver's license is applied for? I know you need insurance from a company that does business in SC.
Yes, if you want to do it all in one trip. Trying to do this from memory.

1. Move your car(s) over to an SC policy. If you have one of the national companies that shouldn't be that hard.

2. Take your title to tax office downtown, they will calculate how much you owe and generate a bill.

3. Take the bill to the cashier in the same building and they will give you receipt that you paid. I would recommend cash or check. They charge extra for Credit Cards.

4. Go to the DMV across street from the tax office. Just make sure you have all the necessary documents. I know you need proof of SC insurance, proof of residency, some other form of ID and the paid property tax receipt. There could be more.

Forgot to add. The tax office can be busy around the end of the month. The DMV is fairly busy on Fridays and Saturday, but usually isn't too busy on other the weekday mornings.

Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 PM

41 posts, read 100,935 times
Quote:
TIA for any tips.
Blood tests and X-Rays???? What's that all about????

Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 AM

896 posts, read 1,140,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedrover View Post
Blood tests and X-Rays???? What's that all about????
He is kidding. It was in reference to how much documentation they require. Also, make sure BOTH names are on the utility bill(or whatever you take). If not, the other spouse has to show proof of residency. Ask me how I know...quicklook is my husband...Boy, what a day it was yesterday. We felt like we needed a drink after it was all through, and this was just the drivers license. As a side note, our OK insurer does not insure in SC, so that added a twist to the mix too. We have new insurance, and we are all set. I am not sure if my husband is going to register and pay taxes today or wait until another day. I have volunteered to let him do this on his own. Also, the proof of residency must be original copy. They would not accept a printed bill off the internet. I don't know about you all, but, our bills are all paperless.

Vtmike - many thanks for your thorough post.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:27 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2trvl View Post
He is kidding. It was in reference to how much documentation they require. Also, make sure BOTH names are on the utility bill(or whatever you take). If not, the other spouse has to show proof of residency. Ask me how I know...quicklook is my husband...Boy, what a day it was yesterday. We felt like we needed a drink after it was all through, and this was just the drivers license. As a side note, our OK insurer does not insure in SC, so that added a twist to the mix too. We have new insurance, and we are all set. I am not sure if my husband is going to register and pay taxes today or wait until another day. I have volunteered to let him do this on his own. Also, the proof of residency must be original copy. They would not accept a printed bill off the internet. I don't know about you all, but, our bills are all paperless.

Vtmike - many thanks for your thorough post.
Paperless has its disadvantages. I refuse to go paperless on our bank accounts. Has both names on it...fits the need and keeps the USPS processing the mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area