Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2014, 09:17 AM

24 posts, read 37,393 times

Advertisements

Is this a good neighborhood to move to with young children? Or is it mostly retired people? Opinions on the community itself and the actual proximity to conveniences (is Woodruff Rd the closest supermarket)? I have heard mixed reviews on Mauldin schools, does anyone have any insight (and I have done a search to the best of my ability and cannot locate any detailed information). Safe? Please let me know ANY feedback, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
I don't know much about Forrester Woods except that I drive through it on Miller Rd. several times a week. If its any indication, the elementary school bus makes several stops in that area and I see many kids get off.

As for Mauldin High, you will get mixed reviews, but maybe these awards I posted will help you decide. MHS only high school in county to receive two Gold Awards!

GCS Schools and Centers Earn Palmetto Gold and Silver Awards

I had a 2007 grad and now have a 2015 grad there now. For us it was the right move!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:52 PM

9 posts, read 12,545 times
We live in a neighborhood across from Forrester Woods and absolutely love the area. FW has families with children of all ages, and the HOA sponsors tons of activities (Forrester Woods - Home). We joined the FW pool last year for our grandkids (ages 6 and 7) and they made friends quickly. FW also has a great swim team, the Wave Runners.

The area is safe. Our neighborhood had a couple vandalism incidents over the winter — a scarf was stolen off a snowman and someone's glove box was broken into (sounds like kids or teens).

There are a number of grocery stores that are easy to get to. Publix, Whole Foods and Trader Joes are on Woodruff Road; a Publix, Ingles, and Bi-Lo are on W. Butler Road in Mauldin; and there's a Super Bi-Lo on Laurens, by Verdae. Woodruff Road traffic is a pain, but you'll learn back roads to avoid the worst of it.

I don't know about the schools personally, but families in our neighborhood are happy with them. Younger kids go to Mauldin Elementary or Monarch; then onto Mauldin Middle School and MHS. There's also a Montessori on E. Butler.

We love the area because it's a mix of families and older people, the lots have yards and mature trees, and it's safe and quiet.

Old 04-14-2014, 05:32 PM

141 posts, read 240,818 times
I have a friend who lives in Forrester Woods; they moved in last summer. They loved it! Their kids are young (7, 5, and 2) and she is, and I quote "kind of obsessed with our neighborhood." Apparently there is lots going on - fun organized activities, a good pool and summer swim club/team, etc. I think it's a very nice area for families from everything I can tell.

I live in Mauldin, so I can tell you that all the stores/grocery places on W Butler Rd are going to be pretty handy. So you don't have to shop only on Woodruff Rd if you'd like to avoid that.

From what I can tell so far (have lived here almost 8 months now), Mauldin schools are generally regarded pretty well. They seem to be better regarded that Simpsonville (Hillcrest Middle & High). I'm heavy into this search/line of thought, too, because we want to buy next year, and have 2 little kids ourselves (ages 5 and 2).

I hope that helps!

Old 04-14-2014, 07:56 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
If we were going to stay on this side of town long term, FW would be at the top of our area to look (We'd rather be closer to the mountains).

Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 AM

24 posts, read 37,393 times
Thanks for the feedback, it is helpful. We are strongly considering a house there, but it needs updates-so we are trying to figure out if the neighborhood is worth it. A few other questions-do you know if a lot of "transplants" live there or is it mostly people from Greenville? (Neither of us are from here). The school information is SO vast, on this thread as well as just internet searching that it is hard to wrap my head around it. Finally, I have heard there are serious issues with flooding in Forrester Woods. Does anyone know of more information about this and how much of a concern it really is?

Old 04-18-2014, 03:39 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,530,954 times
I don't though I know Gilder Creek does flood and has several times since we moved here. Best advice I can offer is don't buy low lying land.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:43 PM

45 posts, read 48,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsc22 View Post
Thanks for the feedback, it is helpful. We are strongly considering a house there, but it needs updates-so we are trying to figure out if the neighborhood is worth it. A few other questions-do you know if a lot of "transplants" live there or is it mostly people from Greenville? (Neither of us are from here). The school information is SO vast, on this thread as well as just internet searching that it is hard to wrap my head around it. Finally, I have heard there are serious issues with flooding in Forrester Woods. Does anyone know of more information about this and how much of a concern it really is?
I wouldn't worry about being a transplant. You might find you like the long time residents better than most transplants.

There might be "too many" transplants in Greenville and SC as a whole. I kind of feel ike the state in going to be NJ in 20 years at this rate of growth.

Ii can't see Forrester Woods having flooding issues. It's not near a large body of water.

Old 04-19-2014, 03:18 PM

141 posts, read 240,818 times
I don't know anything about the flooding potential.

I only know 2 families that live in FW. One is transplant, though only from neighboring GA (and they did grow up in SC originally), and the other family grew up in this general area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area