Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:58 PM

97 posts, read 160,342 times

Advertisements

Just wanted to follow up that I went out to the Tyger River fishing event this past weekend. Despite poor weather the day before, they had a real good crowd show up for the event.

People fished along the river and there were retail booths along with BBQ. It probably ended up being a little more geared towards kids but it was a fun time. Did anyone else go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 992 times
I am from out of town and would like a good place for my boyfriend to go cat fishing...does anyone know of any rivers close by Greer SC or other categories fish places?...

Old 05-25-2016, 01:19 PM

696 posts, read 1,335,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_96SC View Post
There is fishing allowed at Table Rock and Paris Mountain. Along E Tyger Bridge Rd, there used to be a nice spot where you could fish down below the bridge, but I don't know if it's still there or even accessible. There is fishing at any number of places north of Marietta as you get closer to NC. You can always head down to Keowee, Jocassee, or Hartwell. I'm not sure if you can still fish off Saluda Dam Rd, but that may be an option for you. Also along the Saluda River, you can fish at the park in Ware Shoals, or off/below either bridge at Maddox Bridge Rd, or Erwin Mill Rd. You can fish at Boyd Millpond, which is also near Ware Shoals.
Pretty much all of the originally listed places would be good for catfish.

Old 05-25-2016, 05:34 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
i don't fish but I have seen some people fishing at the Clemson dikes on Lake Hartwell.

Old 05-25-2016, 06:30 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,406,923 times
Oak Grove Lake Park off Roper Mountain Road could be an convenient option. apparently they have stocked with fish, but can only fish on Wed and Sat.

Oak Grove Lake Park - Greenville Rec

Old 05-25-2016, 09:54 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Do you have to buy a license to fish around here?

Old 05-26-2016, 06:32 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ve View Post
Do you have to buy a license to fish around here?
If you are 16 or older you are required to have a license unless on a paid pond IIRC. I tried to find specifics on the DNR website, but couldn't find any additional information and their main office is closed right now.

Old 05-26-2016, 07:31 AM

5,674 posts, read 5,885,028 times
Private ponds, no. Government maintained lakes (Greenwood, Hartwell, etc.) and reservoirs, and I think rivers yes. No idea about pay ponds.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:11 AM

723 posts, read 1,150,060 times
Saltwater Fishing License
A Saltwater Fishing License is required when harvesting marine resources, including finfish, oysters, clams, shrimp, and crab. A saltwater recreational fishing license is required unless fishing on a licensed public fishing pier; fishing on a licensed charter vessel while under hire; using 3 or fewer drop nets, 3 or fewer fold-up traps, or 3 or fewer handlines with no hooks and single bait per line (chicken necking); or shrimp baiting (which requires a shrimp baiting license).

Freshwater Fishing License
A Freshwater Fishing License is required unless you are fishing in a privately-owned pond. A license is required when fishing in commercial pay ponds, unless the pond is permitted by the SCDNR.

Youth Exemption
No child under 16 years of age is required to obtain a hunting or fishing license unless that child engages in the taking of game or fish for commercial purposes or possesses any nongame fishing devices.

Source: SCDNR - License Pricing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area