Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 08:15 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfranklin View Post
I completely forgot about that - Haywood Road at Pelham has a great "mountainous" view - I used to take this route to work everyday - it's fantastic in the fall with all the colors.

As for Haywood Road, the city of Greenville is really trying to transform this area - large sections now have underground utilities, new street lighting - Haywood Mall will undergo outside renovations/streetscaping (this year). The city of Greenville has a multi-year, master plan to transform the Haywood Road area into an "Uptown" destination - I know this may seem laughable when compared to Charlotte but there have been significant improvements here in just the past 2 years.
Yes, and don't forget about Verdae's plan to transform part of Laurens Rd. Obviously, no place is right for everyone. When we were looking to move 16 years ago we looked at Charlotte and Raleigh; chose Raleigh for several reasons including traffic and schools. When we were looking for a change we chose Greenville because of the downtown, the cost of living and ability to live in the type of house and neighborhood we could never afford in Raleigh, and the proximity to the mountains without the cold weather, among other reasons. Yes, many of the roads are terrible, Woodruff can be a bear, but we are loving it here; love the friendly people, the fact that we never have to drive more than 20 minutes to get to anything we need (and usually much less) and have made many friends already even though we have not been here that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 08:44 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Greenville and Charlotte are two different places
Charlotte is a bigger city and some people prefer that. Greenville is a small city, maybe even call it a big town and that's what others like. The point being, it's all about preference.

As for downtown Greer, it really has a cute downtown that is growing. It has a lot more than many other small downtowns that I've visited. It's clean, has some nice restaurants, cafe's, shops, and bars. It's not downtown Greenville and not near the size but it is growing.

Old 09-14-2014, 01:09 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,218,598 times
Some people don't know what bad roads are if they think Greenville has bad roads. Try driving through Mi, OH, or Pa in the spring and watch your front axels get swallowed by rim smashing mega craters every 1/2 mile. Most of the secondary roads downriver of Detroit are not even paved, and it was like mud bogging through 1 foot deep, mud filled tire grooves while bottoming out your car trying to get to your house. All that melting ice and snow creates vehicular Armageddon every single spring. I think the rockers on my new car were trashed in the 1st year.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:22 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Greenville and Charlotte are two different places
Charlotte is a bigger city and some people prefer that. Greenville is a small city, maybe even call it a big town and that's what others like. The point being, it's all about preference.

As for downtown Greer, it really has a cute downtown that is growing. It has a lot more than many other small downtowns that I've visited. It's clean, has some nice restaurants, cafe's, shops, and bars. It's not downtown Greenville and not near the size but it is growing.
You are right, it is about preference and Charlotte/Greenville could not be more different. If you prefer a slower/cheaper place, Greenville is more likely to fit.....same when comparing Greenville with RDU.

As for Haywood, it is an ugly road, especially when it intersects with Laurens.

Old 09-14-2014, 06:38 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,071,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
You are right, it is about preference and Charlotte/Greenville could not be more different. If you prefer a slower/cheaper place, Greenville is more likely to fit.....same when comparing Greenville with RDU..

That is right

Old 09-15-2014, 08:05 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
First, to be accurate, Gaffney is in SC and not even part of the Charlotte metro, that is not close to being correct....nice try. Second, Easley.....with highways 153 & 123? Are you serious? Those are some of the worst roads in the country dotted with Wal Marts and closed shopping centers? Pickens? You are bashing Gaffney and bragging on those towns? There is not much difference in any of them.

That is why I posted here, you and others are giving this glorious view of Greenville & Greer that is just flat wrong. Sure, it is an opinion, just like me who has lived there a long time with family going back generations. But, be serious, Greenville has a "soul" but these other cities don't? Greenville has a nice downtown, outside of those few blocks, not even average....and that is where most folks live.

Greer is dumpy, sorry, just being honest. Cleaning up a few streets does not make it a great place to live.

As for Charlotte, you just don't know what you are talking about. We'll leave it at that.
I meant Gastonia, which is a suburb of Charlotte. Gastonia has far more suburban blight along the US 29 corridor than any city in the upstate.

Easley? Yes, Easley. Easley is slowly revitalizing it's downtown area. They are working on a greenway that will link downtown Easley to the new high school, several miles south. They are also working on another greenway to link Easley to Pickens. Those two projects are likely to take several years to finish, but once they do, downtown Easley will take off in an interesting way. They already have a very nice ampitheater and small park area downtown. They have a weekly farmers market, and several cool antique stores and restaurants. They have a quirky little Italian place that serves some of the best Italian food I've ever had. That is coming from someone that has eaten at many Italian places run by Italians when we lived in New Jersey.

I will agree that the US123 corridor through Easley isn't pretty but it is better than US29 through Gastonia, Independence Blvd through Charlotte, NC, and the NC 27 corridor heading out of Charlotte. Those are all uglier than even US123. There is virtually *ZERO* empty retail space anywhere near Easley. Not sure where you get the idea of closed shopping centers - there aren't any. Even the old Walmart has been almost completely released with new tenants.

I will admit that the state of SC needs to spend some significant money repaving many roads. Nc does do a better job there but they extract an extra 25 cents on every gallon of gas to do it.

Pickens is working on a wonderful park at Town Creek with lots of walking and biking trails. They are building a really neat bike trail that has a roller coaster kind of effect to it. Pickens will also in the future be linked to Easley by a greenway.

It sounds like you haven't spent any significant time in the Greenville area in a long time yet profess to know a lot about it based on opinions you developed many years ago.

I know more about Charlotte than you seem to know about the Greenville area. I don't spend any time on the Charlotte forum yet you spend hours upon hours bashing Greenville.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:14 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
You are right, it is about preference and Charlotte/Greenville could not be more different. If you prefer a slower/cheaper place, Greenville is more likely to fit.....same when comparing Greenville with RDU.

As for Haywood, it is an ugly road, especially when it intersects with Laurens.
If you take Haywood north of I-385 heading back toward Taylors, you are treated with a beautiful mountain vista. Which streets give me a mountain vista in Charlotte?

Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,612,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
If you take Haywood north of I-385 heading back toward Taylors, you are treated with a beautiful mountain vista. Which streets give me a mountain vista in Charlotte?
Haywood road looks terrible......sorry, you can spin it anyway you want. As for mountain views in Charlotte, no, there aren't any. Though, there are nice mountain views over by the nuclear plant in Seneca.And, just like Haywood Road, mountain views from one spot of the road does not make it a nice road.

What does Charlotte have that Greenville lacks......that is a very long list. Since you proclaim to know more about the area where I grew up and now live, you should know that. In fact, Charlotte is so nice that Sealed Air is moving FROM Greenville to Charlotte.....that is in addition to the 600 new tech jobs just announced today or the 5k that was announced over the summer. Look, Greenville has a nice downtown but save yourself the embarrassment, it is not close to Charlotte by any measure.

As for Gastonia, not to be confused with Gaffney, you are stretching. You are building up Easley, a downtown with railroad tracks running through the middle of Main St, and trashing Gastonia, which also has a great Italian restaurant. Gastonia has great botanical gardens and is redeveloping nicely. On the other hand, your interpretation of Easley and Pickens can be summed up in one phrase......"we're going to" which means, we have great intentions but an amplitheater overlooking a parking lot is not exactly a romantic setting. You phrasing reminds me of folks saying I am going to win the lottery.

Now, you mentioned three Charlotte roads in a metro of over 2.5m....nice try. But, to be fair, try South Blvd, S Tryon, Central, 36th, Elizabeth Av, Morehead, East or other nice roads that have no peer in Greenville. Try Queens or Selwyn with the towering oaks. Or try Montford which has nicer restaurants than all of downtown Greenville. The list could go on but as I said before, save the embarrassment. Haywood, Laurens, Poinsett, 385, and especially highways 29 and 123 are relics.

As for 123, loopnet seems to show a lot of listings on 123......does not appear that there is ZERO space. But, what do I know, you have already displayed such an intricate knowledge of Greenville and Charlotte.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:28 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,810 times
So much entertainment value in the energy put forth in this thread. Charlotte is nice, but it is a larger sprawling metro no matter how it's spun. Why are we seeing the comparison of Apple and oranges?

Last edited by gvillesc; 09-16-2014 at 03:37 AM..

Old 09-16-2014, 03:43 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,810 times
My favorite quote thus far: Greenville is more of a suburb than a city especially when compared with places like RDU, Charlotte or even Charleston/Columbia.

Any valid points you may have had went out the window when you tossed Columbia in that one sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area