Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 08:38 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,547,967 times

Advertisements

High court ruling may lead to gay marriage in 30 states

That's right, it just became legal in SC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2014, 09:38 AM

12,937 posts, read 18,787,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
High court ruling may lead to gay marriage in 30 states

That's right, it just became legal in SC
I'm waiting on the SC attorney general to say so. If he confirms it, the only thing left for my partner and me to decide on the issue will be whether to get married or to live in sin.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:42 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,547,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I'm waiting on the SC attorney general to say so. If he confirms it, the only thing left for my partner and me to decide on the issue will be whether to get married or to live in sin.
They are bound by law to accept whatever the court says.

Quick facts:
-SC falls under the jurisdiction where a ruling was stayed
-When an appeal is denied, whatever ruling was made becomes law
-A 'stay' is removed once appeals are denied

Old 10-06-2014, 10:06 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,299,065 times
I wonder how some of the other district cases are going to pan out. If another district upholds a ban, will the supreme court step in and overturn it? It is well beyond time for the government to get out of people's bedrooms and personal lives.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:15 AM

2,966 posts, read 5,222,227 times
Yay! Civil rights for all people.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
They are bound by law to accept whatever the court says.

Quick facts:
-SC falls under the jurisdiction where a ruling was stayed
-When an appeal is denied, whatever ruling was made becomes law
-A 'stay' is removed once appeals are denied
So what's taking Mr. Wilson so long? I keep checking for his confirmation.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:50 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,542,122 times
I knew it was only a matter of time before this state would be forced to adhere to the law but something tells me however, that this state isn't going to accept it without wasting a bunch of our money fighting a fight they can't win.

Remember this when you vote next month!

Old 10-06-2014, 11:03 AM

My partner who has a political science degree said 20 years passed between the time the US Supreme Court said school segregation should end with all deliberate speed and the time that that ruling was implemented in all states. Until the SC attorney general speaks and confirms an end to this state's ban on marriage equality, I will be skeptical. As usual, South Carolinians are in the last group of Americans who have to wait.

Old 10-06-2014, 11:47 AM

From the Wall Street Journal:
"The bans in those six states (including South Carolina) won’t fall automatically, according to Paul Smith, the head of the appellate and Supreme Court practice at Jenner & Block LLP in Washington, D.C. Rather, same-sex couples will likely have to formally ask a court within those states to apply the broader circuit-court ruling. Or, alternatively, the states could start issuing licenses on their own. Once that happens, same-sex marriage will likely begin in each of those states.

An Explainer on the Supreme Court’s Same-Sex Marriage Decision - Law Blog - WSJ

Old 10-06-2014, 12:05 PM

SC attorney general:
"Our case (Bradacs v. Wilson) has not yet been decided," said SC Attorney General Alan Wilson. " Until the courts rule on the matter, South Carolina will seek to uphold our state constitution."

High Court Ruling Could Lead to Gay Marriage in SC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area