Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 07:58 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times

Advertisements

I see the confederate flag every single day here. It's on the back of vehicles (in some form or or another) all over town, not to mention the occasional storefront or inside a home. I think that people who have grown up here are just oblivious to a symbol that is truly ubiquitous in these parts.

I have no idea how people who live here can call this area "integrated." We live in the Augusta Rd area and I have met or know everyone in about a 3 block radius. There are zero minorities in our neighborhood.

Zero.

However, if you go a few blocks over, that switches dramatically. There's a neighborhood that appears to be 100% black.

So, I guess on some state-wide level a person could call that "integrated," but for all intents and purposes the white people here live in one area, the blacks in another, and the hispanics in yet another. There are a few exceptions where gentrification is occurring, but I understand there is some underlying racial tensions in those areas.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:14 AM

252 posts, read 349,799 times
The schools are integrated. There are black and white people who hang out with each other. Sounds like you don't but that does not account for everybody. There are black people living in neighborhoods with white people.

I don't see Confederate flags in the nice area of SC metroes.

There is not any less black-white integration in Greenville than any other city.

People in SC segregate by class more than race. This can't really be helped because it isn't like a expensive big house is going to be in same neighborhood with houses that poor people can afford.

Old 05-02-2015, 08:41 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,037,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I see the confederate flag every single day here. It's on the back of vehicles (in some form or or another) all over town, not to mention the occasional storefront or inside a home. I think that people who have grown up here are just oblivious to a symbol that is truly ubiquitous in these parts.

I have no idea how people who live here can call this area "integrated." We live in the Augusta Rd area and I have met or know everyone in about a 3 block radius. There are zero minorities in our neighborhood.
But nobody is stopping any minorities from living there, correct??

I live in Simpsonville and there's only one black family in my neighborhood.. They've been here for a couple of years now and as far as I know there hasn't been any crosses burned on their lawn, or nooses dangling from their trees. In fact, they seem pretty happy and content.. Why, it's almost as if they're *gasp* welcome here!

Last edited by Upstate67; 05-02-2015 at 08:51 AM..

Old 05-02-2015, 09:09 AM

252 posts, read 349,799 times
As more blacks become middle class and wealth you'll see more integration in the n'hoods. Right now the majority are choosing not to go to college, and thus a lot of white people don't end up working with many blacks and don't have a chance to form friendshhips with them.

Old 05-02-2015, 09:24 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,879,977 times
I don't think youll find anywhere that there isn't some type of racism! We ALL are racists to some degree, some just more than others!

Old 05-02-2015, 10:58 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kids7states View Post
However, I have been the victim of black-on-white crime several times. I am Scandinavian, blonde and very "white looking" I guess, and I live in a predominately black area. I have been held at gunpoint/shot at (my friend ended up the one being shot, not me) right in front of my house and on separate occasions I've also had my house shot at and my vehicles broken into. I don't look rich and I haven't done anything to make enemies (on the contrary, I care for my elderly black neighbors by bringing food and such) so I can only assume the crimes have been racially motivated.
If your neighborhood was mostly a safe one before you moved there, that's not going to change because you, as a person of a different race than most of your neighbors, moved in. Crimes such as the ones you mention are matters of proximity and opportunity and were occurring before you moved into that particular neighborhood.

I'm not sure why your decision to locate in a neighborhood where crime is present is forcing you to leave the state as a whole, but best of luck in the future.

Old 05-02-2015, 11:48 AM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
My neighborhood here in Simpsonville is a mixture, but much more white than black. No issues. I'm black and my kids are mixed. Who cares if a few folks want to fly a flag in rural areas on their own property, or put a sticker on their truck. I don't. Some believe it represents the south and confederacy. That'a their right. Where is your tolerance? Haven't heard of any hangings or cross burnings Art.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:14 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Student View Post
can't remember last time i saw a confederate flag in SC.

racial harmony in Greenville and SC is a lot better than places like Detroit and Baltimore.
Haven't lived in SC but was born in VA and lived in VA and NC as an adult, and I'd add Chicago and Boston to the list of most racially divided and segregated cities. There was one KKK guy from the country who hung out at a bar I frequented with my friends in Chapel Hill, but he kept to himself and everyone else white and black gave him a wide berth.

Old 05-02-2015, 01:53 PM

27 posts, read 34,588 times
Quote:

Zero.
You could always move over to the other section and help intergration along!!!

Old 05-02-2015, 02:17 PM

55 posts, read 89,513 times
Quote:

Zero.

However, if you go a few blocks over, that switches dramatically. There's a neighborhood that appears to be 100% black.

So, I guess on some state-wide level a person could call that "integrated," but for all intents and purposes the white people here live in one area, the blacks in another, and the hispanics in yet another. There are a few exceptions where gentrification is occurring, but I understand there is some underlying racial tensions in those areas.
After reading this whole second page I feel like your comment is the most accurate portrayal of Greenville (noting that the OP is actually asking about Anderson so it may only be half-relevant to them). I can see that many of the people on this forum are a bit defensive when an unbiased picture is painted, and I totally understand. This is our city, don't talk bad about it, we don't want to scare people off, etc.

But the truth is, it's NOT integrated. At all. Walk into any church on Sunday and it's either a white church with a couple black people or a black church. The same goes for neighborhoods. Except in areas of gentrification like you said (my own neighborhood is a perfect example, in a downtown revitalization area) you will not find an even mix of races. It's either one or the other.

If you are a black person and you move into a white neighborhood, no, I don't think anyone is going to burn a cross on your lawn or spit on you or anything outwardly racist. The mindset of acceptance and equality is out there. All we need to do is have a nationwide boycott of the mainstream media and racism itself would fizzle out completely. But it doesn't do anyone any good to offer up this rose-colored picture of Greenville as if it isn't a place steeped in historical tensions that have managed to linger to the present day. If someone on here is saying there's no racism in this city, they probably haven't traveled outside of the South for extended periods of time.

And to the person who said it was my choice to move here, yeah, it was. I'm not seeing your point, sorry. I moved to the downtown area because I was excited about all the great growth and the beautiful downtown. I've been shot at enough times now that I would like to leave. I'll be going somewhere that doesn't have this level of polarization in its culture. That doesn't mean I haven't enjoyed what is a very beautiful, vibrant city with amazing weather and lots of great dining and entertainment... which is exactly what Greenville is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area