Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 10:51 PM

24 posts, read 28,887 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

We are moving there this summer and my oldest child will be entering 9th grade in the fall. We have toured both of these schools and she is really torn about which school to choose. We need to decide soon so that I can zero in on my house hunt.

She loved the charm and welcoming atmosphere at Greenville Senior High School. It felt like home. The staff was welcoming, halls were light and bright and there seemed to be an overall congenial atmosphere.

She also loved Wade-Hampton because she thinks there might be more course choices that are in line with her interests - like German, a stronger music program and more science classes. Students were in class during our tour there so we didn't get a good sense of the overall atmosphere and school spirit. So, it's hard to make that comparison.

We've looked at both school catalogs, extensively reviewed test scores and can see the advantages of both schools.

I know that she can't go wrong with either school. It's really going to come down to personal choice.

So, what I'm wondering is this: If you have kids or happen to know families who have had kids at one of these schools, what have you heard them say about what they like most about their school? What about communications with faculty? What about parent involvement?

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 11:13 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Both Greenville Senior High Academy of Law, Science, and Business and Wade Hampton High School are excellent schools. If Wade Hampton offers a curriculum in favor of your daughter's interests, then it would be the better choice.

Old 05-04-2015, 08:23 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
I know people who have had kids at both and I think they both offer a good program. I have heard some grumblings about Greenville but get an overall positive vibe from parents I know. Most people I have known with kids at Wade Hampton liked it overall.

That said, Wade Hampton has in recent years performed better than Greenville High and has a reputation for an excellent music, arts, and overall academic program. If I was picking between the two, I'd likely choose Wade Hampton, especially since it's attendance zone covers some really pretty areas around Paris Mtn.

Old 05-04-2015, 09:39 PM

Thank you both very much! I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:21 AM

99 posts, read 213,657 times
My 10th grader is at Wade Hampton and my 8th grader is going there next year.

Prior to the district adding a little sanity to the special permission process, parents literally camped out all weekend on the WHHS sidewalk to get their children in ... not sure whether this says more about the perceived positives of WHHS or the perceived negatives of some other schools.

My kids are at Wade Hampton by special permission (we are zoned for Riverside) because of the Fine Arts Center; that said, we've been happy thus far with everything else about the school.

Old 05-07-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJGreer View Post
My 10th grader is at Wade Hampton and my 8th grader is going there next year.

Prior to the district adding a little sanity to the special permission process, parents literally camped out all weekend on the WHHS sidewalk to get their children in ... not sure whether this says more about the perceived positives of WHHS or the perceived negatives of some other schools.

My kids are at Wade Hampton by special permission (we are zoned for Riverside) because of the Fine Arts Center; that said, we've been happy thus far with everything else about the school.
Thank you very much! That's a great endorsement. Glad I don't have to pitch a tent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area