Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 06:06 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,844,644 times

Advertisements

Every time I have to get on or off of 85 at exit 48, I can't believe how short the onramps and offramps are. Getting on, I have to gun it as hard as my 15 year old car can go to get up to speed before i have to merge in to avoid going off the offramp, and then it's just a matter of luck if someone lets me in. Has there been any talk about making these longer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 08:24 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Interstate 85 exit 48 (United States Route 276, Laurens Road) has always been a cloverleaf interchange. The existing interchange is outdated with increased traffic, growth, and interstate highway standards. As Interstate 85 will be widened from six travel lanes to eight in the future, reconstructing the interchange from a cloverleaf to something efficient and safer is necessary.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:17 PM

826 posts, read 1,126,286 times
It's already scheduled. Details on what the improvements are is lacking from the article. My guess is a conversion to a SPUI. GSA Business State seeks consultant for I-85 widenings and Laurens interchange upgrade

Old 05-21-2015, 09:42 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
I would prefer to see a single point urban interchange also. Partial cloverleafs and diverging diamond interchanges are popular.

Old 05-21-2015, 09:55 PM

1,002 posts, read 1,049,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Every time I have to get on or off of 85 at exit 48, I can't believe how short the onramps and offramps are. Getting on, I have to gun it as hard as my 15 year old car can go to get up to speed before i have to merge in to avoid going off the offramp, and then it's just a matter of luck if someone lets me in. Has there been any talk about making these longer?
I agree. Being a resident of the upstate for the better part of 40 years, I'm blown away by the growth. I 85 from Pelham Rd interchange to Laurens Rd interchange has to be one of the most obsolete sections of interstate in SC

Old 05-22-2015, 09:18 AM

182 posts, read 350,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCguy81 View Post
I agree. Being a resident of the upstate for the better part of 40 years, I'm blown away by the growth. I 85 from Pelham Rd interchange to Laurens Rd interchange has to be one of the most obsolete sections of interstate in SC
You obviously haven't had the "pleasure" of driving I-85 from exit 80 to the NC border. Oy vey!

Old 05-22-2015, 09:33 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
Have you ever used the White Horse Road to I-85 South ramp? There is NO MERGE at the top of that ramp - really dangerous.

I agree with the other poster that much of I-85 after it goes to 4 lanes east of Spartanburg is far below modern interstate standards.

The Laurens Road exit along with the Woodruff Road / I-385 exits are probably the two worst ones in the Greenville area

Old 05-22-2015, 02:13 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Maybe they should spend some of the 400 million surplus or 85 million in savings to fix the roads rather than raising taxes.

Senator: No tax hike needed for roads | The State The State

Old 05-22-2015, 05:43 PM

271 posts, read 797,342 times
Have driven that exit for 180 days, twice a day, for the last three years, taking/picking up my son to/from J.L. Mann, and I use nasty swear words every single time. Stupidest exit ever in the history of the world. Like 30 feet for cars to get on, and up to speed, in the same space as cars slowing down from 70mph, trying to get off. Thankfully it seems EVERYONE using that exit knows it stupid, so I've not seen more than one accident during the last three years. Humans are kinda okay sometimes.

Old 05-23-2015, 07:15 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
I live about 2 miles from the above mentioned exit 48 Laurens Road/I-85 - I avoid it if at all possible - incredibly dangerous during high traffic volume - I've never experienced such a short acceleration lane (and it doubles as a deceleration lane too!) - in fact, I drive down S Pleasantburg and take 385 south to 85 - much safer

Flopshotter mentioned I-85 east of Spartanburg - I drive to NC every 3-4 months - that is the worst section of I-85 in its entirety - I'm baffled as to why it's not 6 lanes - very dangerous and s-l-o-w!

I believe both issues above will be addressed in the (relatively) near future.

As for I-85 itself - I've driven it's entirety (with the exception of parts of VA) - the SC portion is awful: potholes, broken/uneven asphalt, weeds, trees (yes, trees) growing in median drains, trash everywhere, on/off ramps that look disgusting - I've been told by another poster this is confirmation bias - so, I'll take pics/dash cam video next time I drive to NC or GA

Of course, the SCDOT could care less what opinions are expressed on an internet forum.

Last edited by drfranklin; 05-23-2015 at 07:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area