Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:18 AM

12,634 posts, read 32,120,404 times

Advertisements

We have Charter and every time it rains, the speed is always slow and lagging. The speed test is normal though. I was wondering if anyone else in the area experiences the same issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 11:53 AM

557 posts, read 866,933 times
No problems with AT&T here at my home.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:06 PM

80 posts, read 114,954 times
I have Charter and have thought the same thing before. No data to back it up though and not sure what would cause it to slow down.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:29 PM

1,847 posts, read 2,772,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
We have Charter and every time it rains, the speed is always slow and lagging. The speed test is normal though.
I've never noticed that on my connection. If the speed test is normal, the problem is almost by definition not Charter ** - the problem lies with the other places that seem slow. It's very unusual however that any other Internet site would be connected through something that is affected by the rain.

** Charter would have no motivation or ability to rig the speed test for a Volkswagen-type of cheat, that is to keep the speed test delivering full speed while having a problem with the regular connection.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:02 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,306,511 times
At our previous house, we had issues in the rain. Anytime it rained, our Ping would increase dramatically and we would have a lot of packet loss. It continued for 2-3 years and calls to our internet provider did nothing. Talking with our neighbors showed that it was a problem for a lot of the houses around us.

I don't know why, but they replaced one of their boxes in the neighborhood and after that, we no longer had a problem when it rained.

My guess is there was a faulty connection somewhere and that when it rained, water got into the connection and caused the problem.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
At our previous house, we had issues in the rain. Anytime it rained, our Ping would increase dramatically and we would have a lot of packet loss. It continued for 2-3 years and calls to our internet provider did nothing. Talking with our neighbors showed that it was a problem for a lot of the houses around us.

I don't know why, but they replaced one of their boxes in the neighborhood and after that, we no longer had a problem when it rained.

My guess is there was a faulty connection somewhere and that when it rained, water got into the connection and caused the problem.
This is what I was thinking. It's fine any other time for the most part.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRCainJr View Post
No problems with AT&T here at my home.
I didn't have any problems with AT&T when we had it as far as rain. The problem is their speed is too slow for me.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:24 PM

843 posts, read 1,435,268 times
I have ATT here so I don't have much to add to the Charter conversation except this same thing happened to me when I was living in a different state with Charter internet.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:26 PM

59 posts, read 58,554 times
We moved into a new home in August and had an odd problem with Charter. Cable/Tv/Internet worked fine during the day and about 10:30pm to about 8-9am next day, lots of failures, in particular with the internet. Happened every day. Came back and was fine during the day time.

Charter did not diagnose the problem, but did have some information that confirmed that there was a problem during those times. They replaced the cable, port that our cable was on, connectors, and that did fixed the problem.

My theory was that it was temperature dependent. Cooled off a night and some connection/cable/circuit board started to contract and fail, morning warmed up, expanded, and was ok. It was very consistent.

Point is: like the rain issue, there can be hard to diagnose issues that perhaps trial and error changes are the best they can do. I did find Charter responsive though - I would call and see if they can try some changes to see if they can isolate the problem.

The speed test not showing the slow down is odd - seems it should show up something in Ping or upload/download.

I have had other problems (less frequent) with lower speeds and found the cable modem needed to be reset. Seems some event happens and it does not recover. However, in these cases, speed test on the ipad, showed the issue. Under the trial and error umbrella, you might try resetting the router or cable modem when it rains.

Norm

Old 10-27-2015, 07:30 AM

2,217 posts, read 2,853,911 times
I had a problem with intermittent service with my Charter internet, and it turned out my dog had been chewing at the cable running from my house to the access point. Maybe your cable a little frayed somewhere, and the rain causes it to short out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
View detailed profiles of: