Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 01:32 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times

Advertisements

I'm just looking for some input about this subdivision. Anything you can tell me, good or bad. Also, any other subdivisions near there that are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 08:50 PM

723 posts, read 1,149,325 times
I've lived in Wedgefield since early 1999. It's a cluster of modest homes, as you can tell from driving through. Not the best construction, but not the worst, either. (Watch out for fiber cement siding and plastic water pipes in homes built in later stages.) Quiet, mixed neighborhood, mostly owner-occupied but some transition to rentals in recent years. Residents run the gamut from young starter families to retirees and just about everything in between. There were a few derelicts homes during the recent economic low point, but most if not all have been snapped up as bargains and then refurbished, which in itself speaks volumes about the vitality of the neighborhood.

In all, it's a pleasant place to live, if you don't mind having to learn the Woodruff Road traffic patterns. A few years ago there was a spate of car break-ins and thefts from garages, all of which turned out to be the work of a teen from within the subdivision. As far as I know, he got sent away. Since then, I've not been aware of any other crimes.

Were I to think about moving, which is unlikely, I'd look at Heritage Lakes, which is across Hwy. 14 and has a nice pool and recreation center (open to paid memberships from other subdivisions) or maybe the subdivision off Tanner Road that includes Kincade Drive and actually connects to Heritage Lakes.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
I've lived in Wedgefield since early 1999. It's a cluster of modest homes, as you can tell from driving through. Not the best construction, but not the worst, either. (Watch out for fiber cement siding and plastic water pipes in homes built in later stages.) Quiet, mixed neighborhood, mostly owner-occupied but some transition to rentals in recent years. Residents run the gamut from young starter families to retirees and just about everything in between. There were a few derelicts homes during the recent economic low point, but most if not all have been snapped up as bargains and then refurbished, which in itself speaks volumes about the vitality of the neighborhood.

In all, it's a pleasant place to live, if you don't mind having to learn the Woodruff Road traffic patterns. A few years ago there was a spate of car break-ins and thefts from garages, all of which turned out to be the work of a teen from within the subdivision. As far as I know, he got sent away. Since then, I've not been aware of any other crimes.

Were I to think about moving, which is unlikely, I'd look at Heritage Lakes, which is across Hwy. 14 and has a nice pool and recreation center (open to paid memberships from other subdivisions) or maybe the subdivision off Tanner Road that includes Kincade Drive and actually connects to Heritage Lakes.

Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
Thanks for the honest input. I tried to PM you, but your settings won't allow it. The reason it appealed to me is because the affordability of the homes, the pool right across the street and the the proximity to Woodruff Rd, 385, 85 and downtown. I really, really like Heritage Lakes but unfortunately it would be out of our price range. I love the rec center and the events it offers. It's nice they offer outside memberships. Do you belong and what input do you have on it? We were supposed to build but we are not having any luck finding property.

The neighborhood appeared to be nice to me. There were kids out playing. It looked like homeowners keep their yards neat. The only thing I noticed is that several homes needed pressure washing. What is up with that slab on Laurel Tree Ln? Was there once a home there before? I could build one there I also looked at Kincade Drive.

I am concerned about the traffic on Woodruff Rd though. Any tips to avoid it to get to specific stores would be great.

Old 02-24-2016, 01:07 AM

That's odd. I took another look at my DM options, and they seem to be set to allow messages.

Anyway, I have thought about joining the Heritage Lakes pool and recreation center but have never gotten around to it, nor do I know anyone who has joined. I have, however, attended functions there.

Had you driven through Wedgfield a year or so ago, you would have noticed several vacant houses that were getting pretty run down. Those, however, have been bought up and fixed up and are now occupied. Now all that is left is that slab on Laurel Tree that sits where a house burned down one night more than 10 years ago. If my memory is correct, I think the present slab was poured for a replacement that never materialized. The outbuilding behind it is even more of an eyesore. It would be nice for the neighborhood if someone were to build there.

I used to commute to downtown, braving Woodruff Road and I-385, but now I work from home. Despite what people say about the traffic on Woodruff Road, it doesn't really bother me all that much. Many years ago I lived in the Greater Boston area, and so I learned to read and follow traffic patterns out of necessity. The traffic in Greenville has indeed increased in the nearly 19 years I have lived here, but it still doesn't come close to that of cities like Boston, New York, Atlanta, Chicago...

There are, however, certain areas on Woodruff Road where I won't venture during specific hours of the day. For instance, I avoid approaching Five Forks during the evening rush hour unless absolutely necessary. And if I do have to go there, I know in advance that I will be waiting through four or five changes of the traffic signals.

I intend to pressure-wash my home this spring. It needs it.

Old 02-24-2016, 02:10 PM

826 posts, read 1,125,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post

I am concerned about the traffic on Woodruff Rd though. Any tips to avoid it to get to specific stores would be great.

Your best bet to avoid traffic for weekends is to avoid shopping between noon and about 6PM. If that is not an option. For anything on this side of 385 you just have tough it out, traffic backups ususally start between Feaster and Butler, so Aldi, Publix and Bilo should be pretty easy to get to. Walmart you will likely have to sit in traffic some.

For Shops at Greenridge look at taking Roper Mtn to Garlington Rd instead. You can either take 14 up to Roper or you can try Woodruff and bail out on Feaster or Bagwell to get over to Roper if things look bad. Making a left back on to Garlington can sometimes be hairy. I find it easier and faster to make a right onto Woodruff and get on the 85N ramp and just continue onto 385S and take the Woodruff or Butler exits.

Magnolia Park/Costco/Target/Trader Joes, look at hopping on 385 at Butler and either take the 85S exit to Woodruff or the Roper Mtn exit.

If you decide to slug it out on Woodruff inbound the left lane generally moves faster, but getting back into the right lane can be difficult sometimes. Heading back out to Five Forks the right lane is often times moves quicker until you get past Walmart.

Depending on where you want to shop you may also want to look at the Fairview Rd shopping. It has own set of issues, especially right at 385/Fairview/Grandview. But it generally moves much faster than Woodruff. Taking 14 to Bethel to Bridges to 385S should make it pretty quick to get down there.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:47 PM

Thank you all for the wonderful advice.

lyricamphibian: Is there an HOA in Wedgefield?

Old 02-24-2016, 07:07 PM

There is a HOA, but membership is optional. Dues cover the expenses of keeping street lights functioning. It takes at least two subscribers to keep a street light on.

FYI, Monday and Tuesday afternoons and evenings are the best times to visit Greenridge. The later in the week, the worse the traffic. Of course, all bets are off in November and December - stay away! And traffic patterns will change when one of the ramps from I-385 SB to Woodruff Road goes away as the interchange is rebuilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area